Red Dead Redemption 2 - First Impressions

Since the game has finally been released and I'm about as excited as an 8 year old for christmas eve about finally booting it up in an hour or so, I saw we were missing this thread.

Feel free to post your thoughts on the game, any tips and advice wouldn't be amiss either. And hopefully those of you who have picked it up will have tons of fun playing it! 

(P.s. Once the online mode is released, we all need to find out who's got the fastest draw in the west! ;) )

Excellent so far! Admittedly the prologue part of the game is a bit slow as it's essentially a tutorial showcasing a lot of the mechanics designed as basic missions but once those are out of the way, the proper Rockstar-style ones come in with the usual humour and entertainment. The train robbery one is pretty much when the game starts properly. Graphics look amazing even on a ageing PS4 standard and the level of polish is phenomenal.  

Fuck. Me. Sideways. I love this game. Largescale gunfights are somewhat messy, but I’ll probably get used to it after a while. I just wish horses weren’t so damn expensive snd died so fast. Spent 150$ on one and first goddamn fight it got in it fucking up and died on me. Couldn’t even use the horse revival item on the poor fucker so I had to put it down...

So, after progressing even further in the game, I have a little tip/thought to share. Once you can, buy the pump shotty. Upgrade everything on it as well if you hsve the cash. This gun is friggin great for putting down both man and beast when you need to do it fast. Burns through ammo fast though, so if you haven’t already, upgrade your bandolier!

43 minutes ago, phil bottle said:

I could just wander on my horse without bothering with missions, they've made it so immersive. Loving it so far.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Great isn’t it? I’m just bummed out that I’ve discovered all but 3 towns already 😅

I haven't played it yet but I'm looking forward to it. I got bored of the first one back in 2010 but my taste in games has changed a lot in the last 8 years so we'll see. The reviews are all overwhelmingly positive so I have high hopes.

One thing I'll never forget was Rockstar's ability to eke out every last bit of performance from the end-of-line PS3 with GTA 5. When you had the likes of CoD claiming that theu couldn't do x or y because the PS3 was already pushing its limits, Rockstar then released GTA which put every other dev to shame. The game had 10x the content of all the other games and apart from the loading times it ran smooth as butter.

I'm hoping they do the same with RDR2. I'd love tobe able to conclusively prove how poorly optimized other games are. They're not pushing the PS4 in terms of power, they're just really poorly optimized (Destiny 2's escalation protocols being a perfect example, shitloads of fancy lighting effects that improve the game experience by maybe 5% but drop you down to single digit FPS numbers). 

I'm looking forward to it. 

banlol.png

16 hours ago, Diddums said:

One thing I'll never forget was Rockstar's ability to eke out every last bit of performance from the end-of-line PS3 with GTA 5. When you had the likes of CoD claiming that theu couldn't do x or y because the PS3 was already pushing its limits, Rockstar then released GTA which put every other dev to shame. The game had 10x the content of all the other games and apart from the loading times it ran smooth as butter.

This is quite a similar situation to what GTA V was on the old 360/PS3 gen where Rockstar came in at last-knockings and proved what was technically possible after many AAA publishers such as Activision, EA and Ubisoft were crying about hardware limitations. Although we've already seen what is possible with these consoles after The Witcher 3, Uncharted 4 and God of War; it's nice to see what quality developers with time on their hands can do especially when compared to the AAA franchise shit and annual releases plus terribly designed online service games. 

It's another solid middle finger to EA who said single player games were done with. Such a pity that with all the talent and money in this industry; still only a handful of developers/publishers can produce the goods to the standard gamers expect and deserve. 

So the thing that amazes me the most, is the nature and animals and how they interact. I only just remembered seeing this a couple of days ago and sadly I didn't have the wits to record it as it was VERY early in the morning and I hadn't slept yet, but I witnessed a moose SLIP AND FALL ON ICE three damn times and it was the single greatest thing I've seen in any videogame. I need to go back to that frozen lake to see if I can find it happening again to record it.

Really wish I had the time to invest in this game like when I was younger, it looks superb. At the moment I only get on the PS4 about 2 times a week and that's spent playing CoD or FIFA to hang with friends.

Do miss a good single player game :P

On 11/2/2018 at 8:50 AM, ChaosGladiator said:

So the thing that amazes me the most, is the nature and animals and how they interact. I only just remembered seeing this a couple of days ago and sadly I didn't have the wits to record it as it was VERY early in the morning and I hadn't slept yet, but I witnessed a moose SLIP AND FALL ON ICE three damn times and it was the single greatest thing I've seen in any videogame. I need to go back to that frozen lake to see if I can find it happening again to record it.

I thought you were Norwegian , surely you can just look out the window and see a moose slip on a frozen lake?

46 minutes ago, Baabcat said:

I thought you were Norwegian , surely you can just look out the window and see a moose slip on a frozen lake?

Most of the time I see them in or next to the road as I’m driving 😄 One also had a less pleasant encounter with my car about 10 years ago.

• GazzaGarratt changed the title to Red Dead Redemption 2 - First Impressions