Discord's new store - a new contender in game retail?

SPFreely

Discord has decided to make it's foray into the world of game retail and I for one couldn't welcome an alternative to Steam and GOG any more.  However, this move has been made more awesome by the introduction of a new $9.99 monthly Discord Turbo subscription, which gives you unlimited access to an incredible library of games.  Rest assured, I don't work for Discord, but I'm on there frequently throughout the day and if this is a legit alternative to Steam, hopefully with some unique games thrown in the mix, I'm all for it.  Either Discord recognizes the solid connection between their service and Twitch or they are following in Twitch's footsteps to one day introduce live streaming themselves.  Who knows?  Maybe you do.  Well let me know what you think about this?

I don't need a subscription to play the free games on Steam. I also prefer to have my own copy of a game that won't disappear if I stop paying a monthly fee.

I don't really need a another platform for launching games either. 

No problem with Steam getting some competition, it's in dire need of updating but not sure this is it. Maybe the Chinese alternative to steam, whatever that's called...

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

I try and keep my media subscriptions down to a minimum and would rather own the licence or the game rather than having access dependent upon an active subscription.  Not a fan in general of services either by subscription or via streaming and I wouldn't want gaming to be dictated by these in the future. I am all for competition in the industry but I am already sick of things like multiple launchers and the last thing I want is subscriptions to manage on top.  

Having had a look at the list of games they are offering, nothing really stands out to me to warrant another subscription.  Plus if these games was purchased at their lowest historical low price, would they even be worth the price of Nitro for a year?

The new era of gamers expect a shit ton with regular updates to games, thus subscription services I can only start seeing this becoming very popular in the next 5 years but maybe not the norm.

Parents are willing to pay microtransactions based on if the game is free but a model of paying out each month for parents where monthly money available is so important to most families, I can't see people conforming to this model. It's far easier to make a decision to give a few quid ad-hoc although it's probably more sense to pay out an average payment each month.

Discord is an extremely powerful model for text chat and after using for a while it is a great WhatsApp alternative. I'm just not sure on this. Feels a bit too big of a bite of another market currently.

On 10/19/2018 at 11:31 AM, Spacedeck said:

Having had a look at the list of games they are offering, nothing really stands out to me to warrant another subscription.  Plus if these games was purchased at their lowest historical low price, would they even be worth the price of Nitro for a year?

Dude you can never have too many copies of the Torchlight games, just saying 😀.  In all seriousness I hope this isn't it, because even Humble Bundle had the good sense to freshen up their Humble Trove after a while.  One thing I do like about the Turbo selection is that you don't need mind blowingly good PC specs to run most the games.  They picked a selection most people can enjoy.  Since I'm downgrading my GPU for sound and video issues I could very well be counting on that lol.