PSN ID Name Change Feature Confirmed For PS4

Original source can be found here.

If you ever wanted to change your PSN Online ID on your PS4 but were frustrated at the lack of ability to do so, there is some good news on the horizon. PlayStation has announced it will be testing a new feature that allows you to change your name. The much-requested PSN Online ID Change feature is currently entering PlayStation's Preview Program.

As of now, the feature will only be available to PlayStation users that have registered as testers for previous PS4 system software betas. For those that do get access, you'll be able to do your first change for free. Changes after that will cost $10 USD/CAD / €9.99 / £7.99. For PlayStation Plus members, it will cost $5 USD/CAD / €4.99 / £3.99 after the first change.

To make the change, authorized users can access the feature through the Settings menu or via the Profile page of your PS4. You'll also get the ability to display your previous PSN ID alongside your new one (so your friends can recognize you). This is a choice users will have to make; once you decide to display your old ID or not, you won't be able to change this.

Another caveat is that the new feature won't be compatible with all games. It will be compatible with PS4 games released after April 1, 2018, and "the majority of the most-played PS4 games" released before this date. PlayStation is making it clear not all PS4, PS3, and PS Vita games are guaranteed to support the feature, so users might see issues or errors in certain games. If you run into any issues with the change, PlayStation will let you revert back to your old ID free of charge.

The preview program is set to go until the end of November 2018, and PlayStation has plans to roll it out for all PS4 players in early 2019. At that time, a full list of compatible games (those published before April 1, 2018) will be released.

i7 7700k, 16GB RAM, GEFORCE 1080, 240GB SSHD, 2TB SSD

Finally. Long time coming for people, especially Cepheus-X eh @crispymorgan?

Would be funny to know what people would actually change their names to if they had the chance.

Also, people randomly talked earlier about sticking an FG suffix in front of there names....would this actually be a thing these days? Genuine question - would we really do this? I'd do if people wanted to do it but I'm gonna come out nice and early and say this wouldn't ever be a 'requirement of FG'. May look cool, may look kinda funny. Definitely better than NWO though Euan @Chookes? :D

Early beta info doesn't sound promising. I really don't know how Microsoft can deal with this issue perfectly fine yet Sony have advised that the name changes (in beta mode still, may not be in live) will come with the following risks:

• Not all games and applications for PS4, PS3, PS Vita, and other PlayStation systems support the Online ID change feature.
  • If you change your Online ID, you may lose access to content (including paid-for content) that you have acquired for your games, including content like add-ons and virtual currency.
  • You may lose your progress within games, including game saved data, leaderboard data and progress toward trophies.
  • Parts of your games and applications might not function properly, both online and offline.
  • Your previous Online ID(s) may remain visible to you and other players in some places.

This list is seriously mental. I've been a big advocate of Sony and their PS4 of how simple the UI is and other interactions are, but this is totally unacceptable. I don't think many would change their name if you may lose saves files and DLC.

Not sure how such a simple feature could cause so many problems. Seems the ID is more than just a name - it's like a digital fingerprint coded into content and other aspects. I'm currently on a PSN temporary trial - last time I was on the network was back in 2011 when it was free (and taken down for 6 weeks by kid hackers!) and I must admit; all these years later, even with a now-paid for service; the same old back-end issues, restrictions and design problems  still exist.  Not sure if I can justify splashing out £40-50 on an annual subscription even if they do bait me with perks and free games that I probably wouldn't buy regardless. 

Sony really should have an account ID which is locked down and then a display name which you can change once a year or something and is set to your ID as default to start with. 

1 hour ago, DarkArch3typ3 said:

Definitely need to change my name. People still call me DarkArchitect. 

Matey, you definitely don't spell Cunt like that Nev.

😁