Champions League reaction 03/10/18: Tottenham 2 - 4 Barcelona, Napoli 1 - 0 Liverpool, thoughts and discussion

SPFreely

Hi everybody.  While in retrospect it was probably a night to forget for English fans, what are your thoughts on the games and where Tottenham and Liverpool went wrong?  Or, if you support Barcelona or Napoli what did you do right on the night?

I didn't watch either game but its two bad results for the English clubs - Spurs weren't expected to win and the Inter defeat was crucial but allowing Barcelona to get 3 points could prove critical. Need back to back wins against PSV and then beat Inter at home to really turn it around.  

Also a damaging result for Liverpool by not getting anything from the game and allowing Napoli 3pts in what will be a very tight group. Back to back wins would be ideal against Red Star and then a point against either PSG away or Napoli at home should be enough. 

34 minutes ago, J4MES OX4D said:

I didn't watch either game but its two bad results for the English clubs - Spurs weren't expected to win and the Inter defeat was crucial but allowing Barcelona to get 3 points could prove critical. Need back to back wins against PSV and then beat Inter at home to really turn it around.  

Also a damaging result for Liverpool by not getting anything from the game and allowing Napoli 3pts in what will be a very tight group. Back to back wins would be ideal against Red Star and then a point against either PSG away or Napoli at home should be enough. 

I think tactically it was a bad team selection for Liverpool.  Klopp should have looked at how Mane and Salah played on the weekend, they are both in poor form right now.  Sturridge should've played the full 90, partnered with Shaquiri up front.  As for Tottenham, I don't think there was anything they could do.  They need to make a few signings in January to say the least.

I didn't watch both games but I have seen Salah this year and I called it early doors that he felt like a one season wonder. He doesn't look anywhere near his best and they need that extra magic sometimes to get through games like Napoli. I just wonder when it comes to the crunch who will step up for Liverpool now.