Gran Turismo Sport Time trial

Greboth

I got in 11 laps before going out today and managed to squeeze in to the 1:35’s using the M4.  I don’t feel like I left a lot in the table so don’t know how much faster I can go.  I think I will try to get in some laps with other cars to see how they stack up.
Funnily enough it's a GR 4 daily race this week too, so can switch between the two classes when practicing.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

I thought the daily race was gr3? 

I’m more used to racing gr3 round here so it took some getting used to driving gr4.  You can get on the power so much earlier and not have to worry about oversteer.

1103954298_AmosSignature.png.04556f304072cd09783cc1fdfec8fe9f.png

I thought the daily race was gr3? 

I’m more used to racing gr3 round here so it took some getting used to driving gr4.  You can get on the power so much earlier and not have to worry about oversteer.
Yeah baby, I meant GR 3.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

3 hours ago, Greboth said:

I went to give the time trial another go but just ended up racing the daily race instead - oops.  It is a fun track though and so easy to make tiny mistakes that cost time.

I did it in the daily race too, just one so far though. I've kept my qualifying time about 2 seconds slower than I can manage , so I can sit at the back of the field and work my way up without grief.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

I'm focusing on copying the daily races and seeing how I compare but I did enter a proper race today for the first time in a bit.

GR3 at the Autodromo Nazionale Monza (class D)

I was fairly pleased with my qualifying time but I was  surprised to find myself on pole.

9 lap race, I got done in the pit stop and ended up second. Happy enough with that :)

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

On 5/20/2019 at 7:20 PM, phil bottle said:

I'm focusing on copying the daily races and seeing how I compare but I did enter a proper race today for the first time in a bit.

GR3 at the Autodromo Nazionale Monza (class D)

I was fairly pleased with my qualifying time but I was  surprised to find myself on pole.

9 lap race, I got done in the pit stop and ended up second. Happy enough with that :)

Nice Phil. I assume it scales with skill level over time? I really do miss the online races that were the days of Project Gotham Racing 2. Used to play that a shit ton online every day.

Updated the game last night. I'll see if I can grab a few laps around the track again.

I do enjoy the daily races, they can offer some good competition.  Though some tracks I really don’t know well enough to be competitive.  I think I’ll have to accept that I am stuck in DR B, I can climb to high B but never make it in to A nevermind getting in to A+ or S :( 

@GazzaGarratt Yes they scale.  What lobby you end up in is determined by your DR - Driver rating and SR - Sportsmanship Rating.  Your DR is based on how fast you are and where you finish races.  Your SR is based on how clean you are.  You will generally get matched with people with similar DR and SR as you.

I hear they're going to be adding weather conditions soon. That'll be interesting.

Current Gr.3 race is at Interlagos and the fastest times I've seen are all in the Audi, which I hate driving at the best of times, so I'm trying out the Lexus for now. 1:34 in time trial but only 1:35 in the qualifying laps I've tried. Top drivers are getting 1:30. The first section kills me on hard tyres.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

Funnily enough, I had a minor eureka moment tonight while watching youtuber GT Sport streaming the daily races. I've been struggling to understand how I'm losing time in corners and even watching videos of the top player fastest laps (a nice feature of the game) I've been baffled as to how I'm losing time.

So, during the stream a viewer asked him which order to switch off driving aids.

Here's the thing. I forgot I still have ABS enabled.

I have TCS down to 1 or 2, depending on car and tyre and completely forgot about ABS.

So I switched it off and tried Interlagos in the Audi.

First couple of turns and I thought "fuck this". Breaked hard, locked and couldn't turn. Off into the nether region. Impossible.

But then I worked out how to do it properly.

Feels so good, like I've gone up another level. Learning to stop breaking before turning is something new for me to master and that's awesome.

I can already see how driving in this way helps take a better line and I just need to watch i don't cut the corners too much[emoji16]

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

The nether region? I believe you mean the shadow realm 😛 

Nice one Phil, I’ve always found driving without ABS too much of a pain so kudos to you learning to race without it.

Interlagos is a good track though one I’m not even close to being fast at.  I assume you’re doing the daily races? How is your dr and sr coming along? 

The nether region? I believe you mean the shadow realm [emoji14] 

Nice one Phil, I’ve always found driving without ABS too much of a pain so kudos to you learning to race without it.

Interlagos is a good track though one I’m not even close to being fast at.  I assume you’re doing the daily races? How is your dr and sr coming along? 
Ha yeah, didn't want to use GT Sport's favourite saying after 'full send'.

I've only raced once recently, 5th place last week on a track I hate. Once I've mastered my new challenge I'll finally feel able to compete online.

Re ABS yeah, it turns out I need a challenge to keep me going and we'll see how it goes[emoji16]

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

At least you didn’t talk about being sucked 🤣

Which track was that? The last I did was Mount Panorama which I love but I think that was a week or 2 ago now.

You mean trying to win a race isn’t challenging enough? lol.  I keep finding I qualify mid pack so think if I qualify a little better then I’ll have a chance to win.  So set a better qualifying time and then somehow start further down the grid.

I will have to try without abs at some point as to do the f1 career properly you can’t use abs.

My experiment with no ABS is proving interesting. I'm not entirely sure the PS4 controller is up to the job. It just doesn't have the resistance required. I try to keep braking to around 65-70% to stop from locking up but I either do lock up, or not apply enough pressure and not barely braking at all. I could see me getting more joy from an Xbox controller.

I'm not going to give up though, will try and find a manual solution to stop R1 from being able to be pressed below a certain point. Or see if the controller sensitivity options can help in any way.

Or buy a fucking wheel and pedals[emoji1787]

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

Wheel! Wheel! Wheel! Wheel! Wheel! Wheel! Wheel! 

Errrrr I mean the decision is yours.

To be fair, braking on most wheels is a little odd as they use a spring for resistance rather than pressure.  You can get load cell pedals but then you’re getting in to silly money.

36 minutes ago, Greboth said:

Unless I’m misunderstanding your question, yeah we could all enter the same online race.  Not the official gt sport races but any public lobby or a private lobby we set up then yeah.

I was on about the official GT sport races. Thought you might be able to all see the time when it starts and all enter it at the same time.

7 minutes ago, GazzaGarratt said:

I was on about the official GT sport races. Thought you might be able to all see the time when it starts and all enter it at the same time.

Ahhhhh no, you’re put in to a random lobby depending on your DR (Driver Rating) and SR (Sportsmanship Rating). If we were all the same DR and SR then maybe.  Though the chance of that happening depends on how many lobbies are created for each race which I don’t know.

On 7/4/2019 at 9:02 PM, Greboth said:

Ahhhhh no, you’re put in to a random lobby depending on your DR (Driver Rating) and SR (Sportsmanship Rating). If we were all the same DR and SR then maybe.  Though the chance of that happening depends on how many lobbies are created for each race which I don’t know.

Got you. Maybe I need to start playing to get a DR and SR then. I doubt i'll be near you and Phil though!

Got you. Maybe I need to start playing to get a DR and SR then. I doubt i'll be near you and Phil though!
I've done less than 20 online races so we'd be quite likely to find each other.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

The latest update didn't bring the rain yet but it's really pleasing to see them keep adding and improving the game long after launch. I guess someone must be buying cars.

The addition of competitive time trial is quality.

BTW Greboth, eventhough you were being nice about me thinking of reaching platinum I've looked at your daily race times. You're a couple of seconds faster than me and you're not far off some of the top times. If you spent a bit more time on it you'd be among the likes of TheKie and Tidgney.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

My times depends on car and track but I think I have someway to go to be on their level.  I watch some of Super GT’s videos and I struggle to see what he does differently to me yet he is a second or 2 faster than I am.  Currently I’m upper B and I’m trying to get in to A but I think S may be an impossibility.

Plat is an impossibility too I think, I’ve had (I think) 5 race wins in 100-110 races.  They were all as I climbed the ranks too so where I was racing slower people but since I’ve plateaued a little I can’t buy a win 😞 

Still I’ve been getting more into racing again recently so maybe there is a little more speed to come.

Edit: BTW, are you coming in October? I thought you were but couldn’t see your name on the list. Only ask as I’m planning to take my wheel so you could see if you could improve your times.