Sony CEO says they block Fortnite cross-play with Switch/Xbox One because 'PlayStation is the best place to play'

The3rdWalker

"On cross-platform, our way of thinking is always that PlayStation is the best place to play. Fortnite, I believe, partnered with PlayStation 4 is the best experience for users, that's our belief, but actually, we already opened some games as cross-platform with PC and some others, so we decide based on what is the best user experience. That is our way of thinking for cross-platform. I think competition is always good. Healthy, fair competition is always good for the industry and growth, I think competition with Nintendo and Xbox is a healthy situation."

Source: https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/gaming/fortnite-playstation-sony-cross-platform-xbox-switch-cross-platform-play-a8516081.html?utm_source=reddit.com

i7 7700k, 16GB RAM, GEFORCE 1080, 240GB SSHD, 2TB SSD

Fair play to him being honest. We all know it's because they're in the box seat over Microsoft and why would you let that position slide.

I may be on my own on this but I actually understand and support why all games aren't crossplay. You need competition and if all games end up crossplay, the console market would die imo. I'm still a fan of the ease of consoles that you can plug in and its all about the games.

We all love an exclusive, it's helps you make decisions.

Where I'd compromise is when the game is a F2P game and available on any possible device. I don't see why a game like Fortnite would get in the way of their business model. Keep CoD and other games like that console specific.

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

Fair play to him being honest. We all know it's because they're in the box seat over Microsoft and why would you let that position slide.

I may be on my own on this but I actually understand and support why all games aren't crossplay. You need competition and if all games end up crossplay, the console market would die imo. I'm still a fan of the ease of consoles that you can plug in and its all about the games.

We all love an exclusive, it's helps you make decisions.

Where I'd compromise is when the game is a F2P game and available on any possible device. I don't see why a game like Fortnite would get in the way of their business model. Keep CoD and other games like that console specific.
Fucking hell Lee, you really are a Tory boy 🤣

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

7 minutes ago, phil bottle said:

Fucking hell Lee, you really are a Tory boy 🤣

😂😂😂😂😘

Would you rather have no differences between your PlayStation and Xbox One? Why the hell would you buy both if everything was the same?

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji8]

Would you rather have no differences between your PlayStation and Xbox One? Why the hell would you buy both if everything was the same?
Buy the console that offers the best service or has the best hardware.

But really that's all capitalistic nonsense.

For most things in life I prefer cooperation to competetition [emoji8]

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

8 minutes ago, phil bottle said:

Buy the console that offers the best service or has the best hardware.

But really that's all capitalistic nonsense.

For most things in life I prefer cooperation to competetition emoji8.png

I'm with you there. Wherever you are, i will be. 😘

I suppose what I'm trying to say is if there is no competition then the one company left can do what they like with prices. I don't like the sound of that and I think its just better influencing your mates to buy your console 😂

I agree, in the world we live in, monopolies are shite and usually anti consumer.

[emoji8][emoji8][emoji8][emoji8][emoji8][emoji8][emoji8][emoji8][emoji8][emoji8][emoji8][emoji8]

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

I can understand Sony's position but I can also see their restrictive stance pissing off a lot of developers/publishers especially on games that are free without exclusivity ties.  They are putting a massive stumbling block on growth of cross-platform play despite holding a huge market share to bolster this feature. Personally I think they probably have concerns that their online service may not be up to the standard when going toe to toe with XBL despite costing the same. PSN back in the PS3 days had its problems but they always had the excuse that it was a free service but now putting it in the limelight with cross-compatibility against Microsoft could expose consistency and quality frailties and that could impact future development of AAA games in the future. 

I don't think it's the end of the world though and playing against 'rival' console users could just add to more petty fanboy squabbles and make communities more toxic. It just makes Sony look a bit dismissive, greedy and questions whether they have the confidence in their architecture and network. 

On 9/1/2018 at 1:21 PM, J4MES OX4D said:

I can understand Sony's position but I can also see their restrictive stance pissing off a lot of developers/publishers especially on games that are free without exclusivity ties.  They are putting a massive stumbling block on growth of cross-platform play despite holding a huge market share to bolster this feature. Personally I think they probably have concerns that their online service may not be up to the standard when going toe to toe with XBL despite costing the same. PSN back in the PS3 days had its problems but they always had the excuse that it was a free service but now putting it in the limelight with cross-compatibility against Microsoft could expose consistency and quality frailties and that could impact future development of AAA games in the future. 

I don't think it's the end of the world though and playing against 'rival' console users could just add to more petty fanboy squabbles and make communities more toxic. It just makes Sony look a bit dismissive, greedy and questions whether they have the confidence in their architecture and network. 

Oh, i'm sure most devs hat them for it but it isn't their problem. I still stick to if its F2P then this is the games that should only cross-play all platforms. You must remember, there is also a largeg population out there that own both consoles and therefore game developers can sometimes get willing customers buying their game twice for each console. Swings in roundabouts.

On 9/1/2018 at 8:21 AM, J4MES OX4D said:

XBL goes down all the damn time so I don't think there's much competition unless it's way worse on PSN.  I'm sure they're pretty similar

XBL goes down all the damn time so I don't think there's much competition unless it's way worse on PSN.  I'm sure they're pretty similar
As many don't play xbox too much around here atm maybe that's why it always sounds like PS4 has more issues. I didn't realise xbox had problems of their own.