Gambit - Free 24 hour play ahead of Forsaken! SEPT 1ST

GazzaGarratt

Just announced at Gamescom we all get to play Gambit for 24 hours a few days before we get to play Forsaken!

The news so far seems that it is open to all players of Destiny 2 so potentially no need for expansions!

Who's gonna be on for this on a week Saturday??

Top idea opening it up to everyone for a day to get a taste. Really looking forward to jumping in and playing this mode.

Could it make a difference to people that haven't decided to pre-order? I'm 50/50 on that.

Let's not forget everyone - free to play for everyone from 6pm UK time (80 minutes from now!) For 24 hours.

Should be awesome to check it out, lets get a good few teams of 4 going if you guys are around?

Gambit is awesome. Enemy power level feels good; they pack enough punch that you have to play smart but not enough to be frustrating. The pace is frantic since you're working against the clock and invading is a big rush. Death heals primeval 😈

FUCK ME. This is awesome. Like really awesome.

Lots of intensity, good co-ordination, lots going on but at the same time I don't think its too hard to know what's going on. Can be a huge clusterfuck at times. When you get a stack of 4 (especially FGers) it makes such a difference. Loving it!

Oh and just like Nolan said....  DEATH HEALS PRIMEVAL!!!!

56 minutes ago, Shucker said:

If anyone wants to get a few rounds in before the window closes today, lemme know. Haven't tried it yet...

If the kids give me a spare 10 mins I can try and hop on mate.

Last night was well worth running a  ton of games. The trial shows one map and you either get Cabal or Fallen. The Primeval was either a Taken Knight, Cabal Major and Vex Minotaur (got shielded by smaller enemies which you had to watch out for).

Sleeper Simulant wrecked invaders and when invading too because its a one hit kill to the body. You can counter it but it does such goof damage to the boss too, you need a co-ordinated team out there.

There was some real clutch moments too. You should never give up as you can send in one of your guys and turn the tide, even if they've nearly defeated their Primeval. @Amnotright produced a huge clutch in one round last night. Defintely some hero moments.

Really looking forward to playing this around the Forsaken Campaign.

1 minute ago, MrBiron said:

I actually enjoyed this last night. Did it make me want to shell out £35 for the Forsaken DLC? Nah.

Its not 35 just for this but thats cool... my absolute objective is that there will be content worth that. Even more so considering how much following there is here so you'll always have someone to jump in with. We did alright I thought last night, a real good laugh, we even beat a team 3v4, you, @Baabcat and myself!

Absolutly enjoyed this last night, it is such a fun mode, and a mode where people can play up to their PvP or PvE strengths.

Kudos to Bungie, Gambit is a fresh feeling gamemode, and I think one that'll make some other games companies sit up. It's fantastic.

And the Drifter... talk about mysterious. I get the feeling that he is not a good guy at all.

1562265543_Starletlogsig.png.19b3c199efb193f2f7d11a161bf5a2d6.png

Quick comment that I saw from a 'psarrett' on Reddit (the 'Senior Technical Designer (Gambit)' according to their Bungie flair):

" Forsaken ships with 4 Gambit maps. Each map supports 3 races, with 3 encounter variations for each race, for a total of 36 Gambit experiences. The trial has only 2 experiences. So you should see greater variety starting Tuesday. "

The two race variations we've seen are just Cabal and Fallen, so it'll be interesting to see what the encounter variations are come the 4th.

---

In reply to someone asking what an encounter variation was:

" What enemies you face, how they're combined, etc. Imagine if the Cabal sent warbeasts for you to melee, for example, or how different a wave of Fallen Exploding Shanks, which rush you and press you with AoE damage, feels from a wave of Tracer Shanks, which can one-shot you from across the map. "

1562265543_Starletlogsig.png.19b3c199efb193f2f7d11a161bf5a2d6.png

Will have to see how it expands on full release, it's good to see bungie trying new shit. 

However after a few rounds it just got a little stale for me I prefer the pure PvP experience (when it's done right) button mashing cluster fuckery has never held an appeal in PvP arenas .

One other thing it's one mode where im guessing you will not want to try solo.

I'm not so sure solo is all bad. I think it'll be 50/50. I had a final game today and it was seriously tight but we came out on top. I felt like I could support the team well too.

My biggest worry for the gamemode is on the lines of what Rob @The3rdWalker said. The Sleeper for me was a key weapon to have in the team. It's not completely breaking the game but you hope there is more viable weapons.

The issue more could be a lot of core players will play this very similar to Crucible - find their loadout and never change it. But this mode you should try new things, supers and weapons to keep it fresh however I doubt many will.

It'll also br down to if people don't get too sweaty over this mode. Yes, its badged as competitive but it was fun because our group had fun. If this gets lost I fear it could get lost next to Trials

I played solo and won half (or more) of the time. It'll just be luck of the draw like Quickplay. Sometimes you get stomped, sometimes you do the stomping, and sometimes it's a close match.  

Also I don't see it getting super sweaty any more than QP does, because you can hit max rank and get every reward even if you lose every time (the ranking works just like Valor if I'm not mistaken). Trials and Comp get so sweaty because you have to win to get anything from it.