Running / Cycling

Spacedeck

Does anyone do either of these?  Not sure if many do, so a combined thread might work better.

I personally do running and hoping to get out for another run later on today.  Still not that great at doing this but really enjoy getting out there.

Anyone else on Strava?

Does anyone do either of these?  Not sure if many do, so a combined thread might work better.

I personally do running and hoping to get out for another run later on today.  Still not that great at doing this but really enjoy getting out there.

Anyone else on Strava?
Running - unless I'm chasing after a ball - bores the crap out of me. As does walking.

But I cycle pretty much everywhere. There's some chaps at work who are proper cycling enthusiasts, one of them will typically cycle 150 miles each weekend. The other is a regular at Herne Hill velodrome.

I love my bike, it keeps me fit and is a great way to relieve stress. Where I live in east London, the regent canal takes you to some really interesting places, and a bike is perfect for that. Also saves me a fortune. I can do most repairs myself, had to change the cassette earlier this year. But I do get a professional to do a service every year...ball bearings in headsets needing grease I don't mind paying for...

I'm only competitive in the sense that I like to be faster than other commuting cyclists, gives me something to do on the journey. Takes me about 20/25 minutes to get from Hackney to St Paul's for example.

Blimey, I'm rambling on.

Tl;dr I'm a cyclist but not a hard-core cyclist.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

Nice idea @Spacedeck, there's a big cycling following at our workplace amongst senior management - part of the reason why I don't fully embrace cycling as I don't like being part of clicks.

Running is hard for me too as I'm with Phil. However since i stopped playing on a Sunday, I now need fitness from somewhere and the easiest thing to do will be running based on our family routines. Do you Park Runs? A big park in Coventry has one where people just gather at a start time just so you have other people to run alongside.

I'm thinking of running 10k at least once a week although I know it'll have to be about diet as well unfortunately.

On 9/1/2018 at 9:03 AM, GazzaGarratt said:

Nice idea @Spacedeck, there's a big cycling following at our workplace amongst senior management - part of the reason why I don't fully embrace cycling as I don't like being part of clicks.

Running is hard for me too as I'm with Phil. However since i stopped playing on a Sunday, I now need fitness from somewhere and the easiest thing to do will be running based on our family routines. Do you Park Runs? A big park in Coventry has one where people just gather at a start time just so you have other people to run alongside.

I'm thinking of running 10k at least once a week although I know it'll have to be about diet as well unfortunately.

If you fancy getting into running, try the C25K app.

I will do a ParkRun at some point but I just haven't gone out for one officially. I've run the ParkRun route with my sister on a couple of occasions and could easily complete.

Went out yesterday and did around 4 miles. Ended up walking parts along the canal as I don't trust dogs off the leash to not chase me down 😄

9 hours ago, Spacedeck said:

If you fancy getting into running, try the C25K app.

I will do a ParkRun at some point but I just haven't gone out for one officially. I've run the ParkRun route with my sister on a couple of occasions and could easily complete.

Went out yesterday and did around 4 miles. Ended up walking parts along the canal as I don't trust dogs off the leash to not chase me down 😄

I used MapMyRun before and was okay for a while but recently went for a run around the block rather than the local park and it missed a huge section of my run. I had signal too so haven't a clue what went wrong with it. I'll take a look at that one instead.

Unforunately I wanted to get back on some running this week after hols but i've trapped something in my back after my wrestling with my son. I hate this getting old malarkey.

@GazzaGarratt I'm unsure on MapMyRun but for keeping track, I highly recommend using Strava.  In regards to diet, this is something I don't really do well 😂.  I just find that unless I'm training for races or anything, it shouldn't matter too much.

8 hours ago, Spacedeck said:

I just find that unless I'm training for races or anything, it shouldn't matter too much.

Thats how i used to be - its just that its been 2 years since stopping football so don't think my metabolism will be the same 😂

Yeh, heard about Strava, cheers for the advice as I'll look at that once I get a better phone!

I'm working on getting back in my running routine after a few months of doing basically nothing.  I'm running around 20 miles a week (32km).  Usually 3 x 5 mile runs during the week and a longer run on the weekend.  Not setting any high scores or anything with my mile times as I'm pacing around 9:30, but in another month or so I should be around 8:30 and then I'll start adding some more distance.  Running has always come easy for me and it's how I unwind from stress and chasing around kids.  My own personal yoga I guess.  I'll probably do a few half marathons towards the end of the year.

On 9/6/2018 at 6:21 PM, McNasty said:

I'm working on getting back in my running routine after a few months of doing basically nothing.  I'm running around 20 miles a week (32km).  Usually 3 x 5 mile runs during the week and a longer run on the weekend.  Not setting any high scores or anything with my mile times as I'm pacing around 9:30, but in another month or so I should be around 8:30 and then I'll start adding some more distance.  Running has always come easy for me and it's how I unwind from stress and chasing around kids.  My own personal yoga I guess.  I'll probably do a few half marathons towards the end of the year.

That's really awesome! I need to start getting out to run more, am going out soon for a run also.  My time usually sits around 10-11.  How do you go about improving this? What tips can you give out?  You seem to run much more than I.

I initially got into running for my girlfriend as she wanted to try it for her anxiety issues.  I just ended up taking it up more than she did.

On 9/8/2018 at 6:43 AM, Spacedeck said:

That's really awesome! I need to start getting out to run more, am going out soon for a run also.  My time usually sits around 10-11.  How do you go about improving this? What tips can you give out?  You seem to run much more than I.

I initially got into running for my girlfriend as she wanted to try it for her anxiety issues.  I just ended up taking it up more than she did.

It really depends on what your goals are.  I'm trying to lose weight quickly so I put a lot of stress on my body when I run.  The key for me is to focus on my form, and more importantly to get into a very strict breathing rhythm.  When I run I'm literally focusing on only those 2 things, which is strangely enough a big part of why I enjoy it so much.  No thinking about work or life or whatever, just clearing my mind and counting breaths.  I rarely listen to music too because it can be distracting when I'm trying to focus on breathing patterns.  You can try out different patterns to see what works for you, but it's definitely something I recommend for anyone who is looking to run faster and longer distances. 

Just as an example, when I start my run I'll breath in for 4 steps and out for 4 steps.  I literally count 1,2,3,4 and then out 1,2,3,4.  Over and over and over.  Once I start getting tired I'll go in 3, out 3 or in 3, out 4.  Sometimes I switch it up but just finding a pattern that gets you into the zone really helps distract you from the "pain" of running.  Also, you can push your body way harder than you think you can do don't be a wimp about it!  That's what I tell myself when I"m at mile 3 or 4 because it can be tempting to call it a day early.

Thanks, I'll try that out.  The biggest issue I have it breathing, so hopefully these tips come in handy.  I don't listen to music while running, I like the sound of the world around me but mainly because I keep an ear out for traffic, running usually takes me along road that don't have paths.

I need to get my head through the mentality of keeping going.  I will finish the runs I set out, I just end up slowing down the pace later on which I really wish I could avoid doing.  Living on a hill doesn't help with this though as a typical run will see me have an elevation gain of 350-400 ft on something like a 3 mile run.

A lot of the time when I do stop and walk, I walk for less than a minute, sometimes it's been like 10 seconds.  Makes me feel like stopping is pointless but it's something I can't seem to help doing.

As long as you're finishing your runs I wouldn't be bothered about slowing down if you're sort of just getting into running as a habit.  It takes a long time to condition yourself to be able to improve your speed.  The key is to make it a habit and not burn yourself out.  Once it becomes a habit, or something you feel you HAVE to do at least every other day, then getting faster is going to happen on its own.  It just becomes easier because your body is used to it, and those 10 minute miles start to feel like walks.  You'll naturally push yourself faster because you're going to want to feel like you're getting something out of it.  

Breathing really is the key - I think you'll be surprised how much it will help to find a pattern that works with your stride and just zone in on it.  It's like meditation and if it's all you focus on you won't notice pain.  Everything becomes about your breaths.  Another thing to think about (there are a bunch of different opinions out there on this but I mix it up) is breathing in through your nose and out your mouth.  Most of the time I'll breath in through both my nose and mouth, and then out the mouth.  Sometimes in/out of the nose.  It's also something you need to figure out as part of your pattern but it needs to be repeated.  So maybe for 5 minutes you do it one way, then switch it up, but always a pattern.  If you're just breathing all over the place you'll never really settle into your run where you can just "go"

On 9/6/2018 at 1:21 PM, McNasty said:

I'm running around 20 miles a week (32km). 

😳 That is badass!

3 hours ago, McNasty said:

If you're just breathing all over the place you'll never really settle into your run where you can just "go"

This is my problem whenever I try running. The pace my legs want to go at I can't keep up with cardiovascularly, so I start to panic and my breathing goes to shit. But give me a bar and some weights and I'll powerlift until my arms and legs collapse.

6 hours ago, Rumelylady said:

This is my problem whenever I try running. The pace my legs want to go at I can't keep up with cardiovascularly, so I start to panic and my breathing goes to shit. But give me a bar and some weights and I'll powerlift until my arms and legs collapse.

That’s a pretty comment issue for most people who aren’t runners.  They don’t understand how important it is to be focused when you run.  They just put on the shoes, turn on some music, and start running down the street without a game plan.  

My wife has always said the same thing.   Last year she found some running app that supposedly takes you from the couch to a 5k in 30 days.  She did it for 2-3 weeks and talked up all the progress she made.  “I ran for 10 minutes straight this time!” Stuff like that.  This was all in prep for a 5k we did thanksgiving last year.  Well she got bored and stopped doing it, then 2 weeks later was the race.  She had never run for more than 10 minutes straight in her life.  I had been telling her all along that the app was stupid and none of that really matters but whatever, no reason to argue about it as she was just trying her way to get in shape for the race. 

She’s had a goal for many years to run a 5k and I told her it would be a cake walk if she just followed my directions.  Basically gave her the same advice I’m giving here.  I ran alongside her and made sure she was laser focused on her breaths and stride patterns and she totally crushed it.  We finished in around 35 minutes which is pretty darn good for someone who had never ran longer than 10 minutes straight.  We averaged right around 10 minute miles.

long story but the point is that running can be “simple” if you have a plan and try your best to stay focused.  Also remember that your body can handle 100x more pain than you think it can.  I literally told my wife before the race - “you’ll get no sympathy from me and I won’t let you be a pussy and quit”.  She zoned in and crushed it.  You can too it’s just a matter of understanding and finding that rhythm that allows you to push yourself.

Another point I forgot to mention - you need multiple patterns  for any run because it’s not all flat.  If you’re on a treadmill you can rep it out the same way the whole time, but that doesn’t work with inclines/declines.  I keep an eye on my heart rate while I’m running.  I have a runners watch that shows overall time/mile pace/ elevation change/ and heart rate but you don’t need to get that fancy about it.  Just have a pattern for hills (for me it’s 2 stride inhale, 2 stride exhale) and once it flattens out and I can lower my heart rate I’ll go back to 3 in/outs or 4 in/outs

@McNasty I tried that breathing method while out today and man it felt very good.  I'm still not sure on which method suits me yet but I much prefer just counting, I find trying to breath on steps just makes me lose my breath.  I ended up breathing in for 3 seconds and then taking little inhales and longer exhales for 4 seconds, then repeating this for awhile.  I did find that slow exhaling for 4 seconds a struggle, more like it was taking my breath away.  On the decline home, I was able to keep to 3 seconds breathing in and 3 second slow breath out.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1834299584

What's your guys Strava?  I'd like to add anyone on here who does this 😊.

Awesome to hear that man.  I think as long as you find any sort of rhythm you can focus on and repeat then thats where the real benefit comes from.  At least that's how it works for me.  I do weird stuff when I run but it's all about getting my head/thoughts out of the way and finding the zone.  Like during winter when it's too cold to run outside, I run a ton on the treadmill at the gym.  I have 2 or 3 specific treadmills that I'll run on and have certain spots on the walls that I stare at.  Literally I'll get into my breathing rhythm and stare at the exact same place on the wall for 10 minutes straight, then move to another spot and stare at that for the next 10 minutes (the wall is a good like 50 feet away not right in front of me).  I do that sometimes while running outside too.  I'll find a post or a sign or something maybe 50 yards away and stare at it until I get past it, then repeat.

I don't do strava because I'm paranoid about anything personal on the internet.  You know, big brother and aliens and stuff.

Horrible run just now. Cold weather was really affecting my breathing and just couldn't get any rythem going. 
I have to wear a number of layers, even if I know I'll get a little too hot on the way round. I find I'd rather sweat than feel extremely cold on a run. My back would seize up otherwise.

You maybe just getting slightly ill dude?

On 9/25/2018 at 7:20 AM, GazzaGarratt said:

I have to wear a number of layers, even if I know I'll get a little too hot on the way round. I find I'd rather sweat than feel extremely cold on a run. My back would seize up otherwise.

You maybe just getting slightly ill dude?

I think it's just bad technique in various places.

This morning I woke up and was reading an article on breathing and this mentioned something of which I've never heard about or even tried before. It's called belly breathing, rather than the chest breathing I'm used to doing.

Just finished a run giving this method a try, breathing 2 steps in and 2 steps out. Seems to have helped my situation so will try continue to work on this method. 

https://runnersconnect.net/how-to-breathe-when-running/

I think it's just bad technique in various places.

This morning I woke up and was reading an article on breathing and this mentioned something of which I've never heard about or even tried before. It's called belly breathing, rather than the chest breathing I'm used to doing.

Just finished a run giving this method a try, breathing 2 steps in and 2 steps out. Seems to have helped my situation so will try continue to work on this method. 

https://runnersconnect.net/how-to-breathe-when-running/
That's a good one Space. Tbh, it all centres back round to what@McNasty said about focus. Having a focus on something really basic and simple but nothing else makes you really develop your fitness further. Doesn't have to just be running. I'm gonna see if I can go for a run tomorrow morning, I'm so tired and my body needs a kickstart to get more energy.

I decided to go for a run and while I did the run, it wasn't the greatest.  I had walking breaks where previously I could just run through, so going to try go out a couple of times a week from now and try and get myself to the state I was when I was able to run consistently.

Before today, I don't think I'd been out running since October.