Running / Cycling

Spacedeck

On 4/12/2019 at 3:00 PM, Spacedeck said:

I decided to go for a run and while I did the run, it wasn't the greatest.  I had walking breaks where previously I could just run through, so going to try go out a couple of times a week from now and try and get myself to the state I was when I was able to run consistently.

Before today, I don't think I'd been out running since October.

The first few runs may be hard but your body will soon remember those muscle movements and you'll absolutely be back near where you was with another 2 to 3 runs.

It's funny how the body remembers, unless you've let yourself go to the land of "surgery is only gonna help that".

My football training for an hour has been cancelled a few times in the past month which was disappointing but I've also picked up another night of footy helping a friend out on a 5-a-side. That's been really hard going as it's a harder tempo with less people around but I do feel better...3 days later!

Just finished a 3.8 mile run.  Still got a way to go before I feel like I used to but today felt good.  I didn't manage to run the entire distance but breaks was few and far between.

@GazzaGarratt that's excellent mate, hope you continue to enjoy doing that and don't pick up any injuries!

25 minutes ago, Spacedeck said:

Just finished a 3.8 mile run.  Still got a way to go before I feel like I used to but today felt good.  I didn't manage to run the entire distance but breaks was few and far between.

@GazzaGarratt that's excellent mate, hope you continue to enjoy doing that and don't pick up any injuries!

If you can already do 3.8 miles again you're not as bad as you think mate! 

@McNasty Hey man, just checking in to see if you've kept up with your running?  How's it going?

I completed my 6th Parkrun this morning (also 6th in a row!) and got a time of 23:00, which is just shy of my PB from the previous week of 22:50.  I could have come close to that but at the start of the race, I struggled getting my phone in the belt (damn cold and rain!). I lost a lot of positioning then when half the field probably got in front.  It took some effort to find the gaps and work my way back up.  I ended up placing 63rd out of 455 runners.

Trainers are on the last legs, so I'm just hoping they hold out until atleast January when I might be able to get some more.

i took up running at the start of 2019 and set my self a goal to get a sub 22 minute for 5k took me a while as i achieved this on a club run for sports relief with a time of 21.41 before that i could get no quicker than 22.01.

I've enter only a hand full of races but this year was supposed to be mostly half marathons to which i only ran one even which was the hoka one just out side swansea which was a painful one due to the fact it's mostly up hill i have got 2 others booked one another in swansea and the cardiff half.

i went out which was supposed to be a short run yesterday for my so called daily exercise but it turned in to a 21k run. 

slamminbones.png

@slamminbones that's awesome! Hit me up on Strava if you use it, I love giving out Kudos .  You seem like a pretty fast runner, or someone who probably runs many miles every week, maybe even daily runner.  Sometimes I struggle to get out, motivation kills me but when I do get out, I end up loving it.

My best 5k is from running ParkRun in which I've only managed a 22:27.  Really hoping I can bring that down to under 22 when ParkRun returns.  I don't train for anything though, I just tend to go out and run.  I've never entered a race but I was due to take part in my first 10k race in June or July but that's postponed to the end of the year.

1 hour ago, Spacedeck said:

@slamminbones that's awesome! Hit me up on Strava if you use it, I love giving out Kudos .  You seem like a pretty fast runner, or someone who probably runs many miles every week, maybe even daily runner.  Sometimes I struggle to get out, motivation kills me but when I do get out, I end up loving it.

My best 5k is from running ParkRun in which I've only managed a 22:27.  Really hoping I can bring that down to under 22 when ParkRun returns.  I don't train for anything though, I just tend to go out and run.  I've never entered a race but I was due to take part in my first 10k race in June or July but that's postponed to the end of the year.

just followed you.

i do alot of running and also  cycle to work but not working atm with the covid 19 but i'm on a 2 week on 2 week of i also train in kickboxing so a busy busy man.

to get a sub 22 what i did was train for it i would pick a day and a route relatively flat and go flat out and try and main taine  my first KM at around 4.10/4.15 minutes then after that for the next 4KM a pace of 4.20 minutes.

I would try this once out of ever 5 runs just to avoid injuries and to try keep running enjoyable but as it stands i might of picked up an injury as i ran yesterday at the 16km mark i could feel quite alot of pain in my right knee and left calf but pushed through the pain to end my run on 21km so my next run will most likely be in a couple days a slow 10k but i need to get training in as all my events been postponed so in a space of a month i'll have 2 halfs and a 10k.  

slamminbones.png

There's another race i've entered the castle to castle in september which is from cardiff castle to caerphilly castle which is only 18.2km.

Also around that time i have 2 half marathons and a 10k race so going to need to up the training a little. 

slamminbones.png

On 4/29/2020 at 2:41 PM, slamminbones said:

There's another race i've entered the castle to castle in september which is from cardiff castle to caerphilly castle which is only 18.2km.

Also around that time i have 2 half marathons and a 10k race so going to need to up the training a little. 

Ever got shin splints from running that far?

On 4/29/2020 at 2:07 PM, AtomicGhost said:

I always loved cycling and it's a great way to keep you fit if you go pretty far with your bike (used to ride about 16km per day), but for the last two years i seem to have trouble getting on the bike, although i do remember with affection my rides

I don't want to admit it as there's abit of a senior management click with cycling at my place which i'm never a fan of...but cycling has always been something i loved when i was young. I can see how easy it is to rack some km on a quick ride. I'll be looking to get one for our holiday later this year if we're still allowed to go. Its been great to see my daughter learn her bike this past week.

4 minutes ago, GazzaGarratt said:

Ever got shin splints from running that far?

Not yet but normally i can feel when an injury in on the way so i'll take a little break for a week or so then build my pace back up. 

slamminbones.png

Haven't run in 2 months many reasons injuries bought a house which needed alot of work every room decorated the garden was in a right state then there's work and lastly lazyness. 

I use to run 3 maybe 4 times a week so need to get back to it. 

My normal 5k (3.1 miles) time was around 22 minutes to 24 minutes but this run I struggled and nearly killed me. 

Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/KW43vn5Rk8

slamminbones.png

When I've lost a little more weight, I'd like to try the 'Couch to 5k' again. I'm quite heavy at the moment still, so feel like it would be too stressful on my joints lol

On 7/22/2020 at 8:18 PM, slamminbones said:

Haven't run in 2 months many reasons injuries bought a house which needed alot of work every room decorated the garden was in a right state then there's work and lastly lazyness. 

I use to run 3 maybe 4 times a week so need to get back to it. 

My normal 5k (3.1 miles) time was around 22 minutes to 24 minutes but this run I struggled and nearly killed me. 

Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/KW43vn5Rk8

What injuries do you keep getting? Shin splints? Must be agony doing that many marathons / half marathons?

On 7/23/2020 at 9:21 AM, Dan94 said:

When I've lost a little more weight, I'd like to try the 'Couch to 5k' again. I'm quite heavy at the moment still, so feel like it would be too stressful on my joints lol

Sounds like a good plan. I'm planning on putting in even more energy into my daughter's football sessions. If i;m getting them to run around for an hour I might as well do the same!

At any weight you can run it's all about pace and distance.

Even 1k at a slow pace of 10 minutes per KM is better than something.

Before this covid i had applied to go on a run leaders course to which got cancelled but we get new runners to the club i run with some are over weight and they come with questions about their weight and running to which i always say it's about your pace and distance and always say start at 1 KM at a really slow pace and built it up little bit at a time when you are comfortable with the distance you start from.

4 hours ago, GazzaGarratt said:

What injuries do you keep getting? Shin splints? Must be agony doing that many marathons / half marathons?

Sounds like a good plan. I'm planning on putting in even more energy into my daughter's football sessions. If i;m getting them to run around for an hour I might as well do the same!

Mostly on my long runs i keep getting blisters on the inside of my foot and toes which could be either my running trainers or the way i run to which i need to see a doctor as the out side of my normal wearing shoes/trainers wear down but with my trainers i own 3 pairs 1 pair is solely for trail running then i have competition/event running then my old pair which do seem to have plenty of life left in them but it stats with them that after 500 km they need to be replaced and i'm on about 900 km with them so only way really to find out is use my event running pair see if i get and blisters.   

slamminbones.png

Well I done the first run today (Week 1, Run 1) which absolutely kicked my arse but damn it felt good afterwards. 

Sounds silly but running definitely helps test your mental resilience aswell as physical fitness 💪

On 8/2/2020 at 7:18 PM, Dan94 said:

Well I done the first run today (Week 1, Run 1) which absolutely kicked my arse but damn it felt good afterwards. 

Sounds silly but running definitely helps test your mental resilience aswell as physical fitness 💪

Enjoy ! Finished couch to 5k last week, pretty good app that gradually gets you there .

Well done @Dan94  & @Baabcat

Taking my wife out on a C25K and tonight was her first run to which i said she will be jeffing(run walk)

Only did 1.5k in 15 minutes but told her each run the amount of time she will walk will get lower and at times the distance will increase and with the increase so will the walking till she gets to 5k then it will be a matter of time a 5k run with out walking.

After we got back from the run i went out on my own for what was supposed to be a 5k run but ended up doing 10k in 55 minutes but need to kick my ass and get back out 3 or 4 times a week as in october i have a half marathon trail event.  

slamminbones.png

5 hours ago, The3rdWalker said:

I'm down!

picture?height=256&width=256
WWW.STRAVA.COM

Paul Jones is a runner using Strava. Join Strava to track your activities, analyze your performance, and follow friends. Strava members can plan routes, participate in motivating challenges, and join clubs. Get started...

slamminbones.png

doing the C25K for my wife today got her to do 2k with the run walk and took both my sons that are 14 and 17 and they did it in around 15 min 53 sec.

Once we got home i took my youngest out for a 5k run and he managed to do it in 35 min 46 sec.

slamminbones.png

On 8/14/2020 at 6:48 PM, The3rdWalker said:

Y'all should use Strava. We can form a club/ group or just follow each other's runs/rides.

I don't mind that idea. Although, you'll then see how little i'm doing of late 🤣 Profile link below:

photo.jpg
WWW.STRAVA.COM

Lee Garratt is a runner using Strava. Join Strava to track your activities, analyze your performance, and follow friends. Strava members can plan routes, participate in motivating challenges, and join clubs. Get started...

3 hours ago, GazzaGarratt said:

I don't mind that idea. Although, you'll then see how little i'm doing of late 🤣 Profile link below:

photo.jpg
WWW.STRAVA.COM

Lee Garratt is a runner using Strava. Join Strava to track your activities, analyze your performance, and follow friends. Strava members can plan routes, participate in motivating challenges, and join clubs. Get started...

Not a bad pace there.

As i've just started getting back in to running after a 2 month break need to get my pace bad to normal depending on which distance i run but what is helping is the warm up as i call it when i take my wife out for a short run.

slamminbones.png