The magic of WoW and my story therein!

Diddums

@Diddums I already commented on this. Can't join you all. My gaming PC is in storage.

Rift was a great game. The raids were good, and how they handled classes was amazing. It was honestly the best followup to WOTLK any company could have made.

I miss playing it, the fact that they built the ability to solo and DUO any instance, not raids, into the game was just amazing. The crafting raids were solid, as were all of the world events. There was never a lack for things to do in the game.

Luke 23:34
'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

I tried it for a while, in fact I've still got it but it never grabbed me like WoW did. I think I was looking for something close to WoW and although it is similar in many aspects, it just doesn't have that atmosphere. A good free MMO was Rift, [mention=159]Sennex[/mention] got me in to this one but for some reason I only played it a short while. The end game was severely lacking iirc, don't quote me on that though, I only made it to about level 12 before getting bored, but it might be worth giving it a go if you're interested.

[/url]  
Another MMO which might be worth your time given your love of the Elder Scrolls stuff is Elder Scrolls Online. This is on all platforms and like every other Elder Scrolls game, I lasted about 30 seconds before getting bored. You can probably bag a copy for £lol nowadays.

//That all being said, I fired up WoW last night on my old account and it was fantastic seeing all my old characters there, sadly none of them show up in the Armory as they've been dormant for so long but seeing Heretician (85 pally tank), Kreex (85 DK Tank) and Diddumss (85 holy priest) in such a long time brough back so many memories. 

Thing is, if I manage to get some time in I'll want to start fresh, the game has no doubt changed so much since I last played it that most of my knowledge is probably completely out of date. It's also much more fun rolling with some friends at the same level and trying to figure shit out. 

I just spoke to [mention=243]crispymorgan[/mention] who's in for some shenanigans tonight, [mention=141]phil bottle[/mention] [mention=125]tronic44[/mention] [mention=1441]Bluebear[/mention] you fellas in? We'll be starting from level 1 with whatever you fellas choose. Can the Muricans play on EU servers nau? I know it was a huge thing when I last played, [mention=1436]Rumelylady[/mention] [mention=159]Sennex[/mention] [mention=1428]The3rdWalker[/mention] can you lot comment?

Oh and one more thing, I saw that you can now buy your monthly subs with GOLD! Yes, that's right, you can now buy game time with in-game currency but I have no idea how much grinding and farming will need to be done. What I do know is that I had quite a bit of bank when I quit, but that would probably be worth fuck all now. 

I’m away this weekend but I could seriously consider picking up wow. ESO is amazing and it was really a deep game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i7 7700k, 16GB RAM, GEFORCE 1080, 240GB SSHD, 2TB SSD

4 hours ago, Diddums said:

I just spoke to @crispymorgan who's in for some shenanigans tonight, @phil bottle @tronic44 @Bluebear you fellas in? We'll be starting from level 1 with whatever you fellas choose. Can the Muricans play on EU servers nau? I know it was a huge thing when I last played, @Rumelylady @Sennex @The3rdWalker can you lot comment?

Oh and one more thing, I saw that you can now buy your monthly subs with GOLD! Yes, that's right, you can now buy game time with in-game currency but I have no idea how much grinding and farming will need to be done. What I do know is that I had quite a bit of bank when I quit, but that would probably be worth fuck all now. 

We'd have to rebuy the entire game and sub (I think) through the EU store, unfortunately. So, probably isn't going to happen for me.

You can buy you sub with gold, but it's crazy expensive now. When change my payment info this month is was something like 108,000+ gold. So that would translate to a ton of grinding, farming, and playing the auction house.

Subscription fee is a bit naughty.

Ten Alan Wickers a month,

that's a Pony in two and  half months,

over a year that's ton plus another score on top of that.

A pony in 4 years or thereabouts.

This cockney is as tight as a duck's arse:ph34r:

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

Leeerrooooooooy!

So I managed to have a few hours yesterday with Sherpa Diddums.  The level of content is honestly mind blowing.  I can see why people enjoy getting into the lore and enjoy exploring the world.  Diddums took me for a ride on his dragon (quiet at the back), and we flew over a few different areas.  Mr. Bottle also joined in for a few missions which was fun.

In all honesty, I'm never going to play *that* much, and there lies the problem.  £9.99 a month is simply too much money to pay for a game when I can play Diablo 3, and a few other free games that are similar.  The lack of content in those games will never trouble a filthy casual like me, so no worries on that front.  I'll still level up a bit more though, who knows, maybe the addiction will take over and ruin my life, but it seems a long shot for such a tight arse like myself.

20 hours ago, crispymorgan said:

I shall also buy a monkeybike......

3 hours ago, Spacedeck said:

Are you guys just playing up to level 20 then?

I resubbed so I'm in for a month at least. 

@crispymorgan this is roughly what you and @phil bottle saw last night, obviously Cripspeeee saw a bit more when he was riding me (giggity). This map isn't a very good indication as most of the circles actually have multiple continents on them:

VEZlB5O.jpg

That's just game area. You also still need to find out about dungeons, raids, battlegrounds, arenas, gathering, crafting / professions, mounts, auction house, etc etc etc. 

I'm glad you guys have now witnessed the sheer amount of content in the game so when I whine about Density's lack of content you now know what I'm talking about.

banlol.png

@DiddumsYou got my itch back, but I'm going to come back on a month by month basis, money dependant.  Download size is huge though :(.  I see the Wow Token has shot up in price, I remember buying two when they was just released as I lacked gold.  They mustn't have been worth anything back then though, as only got around 80k in total for them.  Also did they increase the price? I swear they they cost me £15.

On 8/24/2018 at 3:18 AM, Diddums said:

Can the Muricans play on EU servers nau?

Yes and no. You can play on the EU servers with your Battle.net account, but not your North American World of Warcraft account. You would need to purchase and pay for a separate EU World of Warcraft account in order to play on the EU servers. You could alternately continue to play your NA World of Warcraft account from the EU; there's nothing (other than network latency) preventing you from doing so. (Source: Pahanda- Blizzard Customer Support

i7 7700k, 16GB RAM, GEFORCE 1080, 240GB SSHD, 2TB SSD

Well that's just bullshit imo, if you pay for the game you should be able to play on whatever server you want. 

Anywho, Imwithstupid is a level 9 Paladin, he's for messing around with @crispymorgan, @phil bottle or @tronic44 when they're on.

Imawarrior is a level 21 warrior, he's really enjoying the game again, took me all of 5 mins to install all my addons which are all out of date so I need to find decent replacements (Tidy Plates being the main one). I've also installed and started setting up Tradeskillmaster, which is absolutely God mode auction PVPing, you can make stupid amounts of gold with it, and I do love me some gold. 

I'm staying away from heirlooms and boosts, I want to enjoy the Vanilla experience again. I went from 18 to 21 in dungeons only (srs, tank 4lyfe, no queues FTW) in dungeons only so I need to get my arse in to Duskwood / Stranglethorn Vale and do some quests, there is such an amazing and vast world out there it's a shame to skip it all in dungeons. 

On another note, I don't know if it was the heirlooms last time or if tanks have been nerfed, but when I last played, the tank was almost always at the top of Recount until much later in the game, I am even getting out DPS'd by healers nowadays, might need to look in to that.

banlol.png

Tidyplates!

ArcHud!

Auctioneer!

Recount!

Bagnon!

I cant remember the others I used lol

Luke 23:34
'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

Deadly Boss Mods (more for level cap)

Tomtom is also pretty helpful for coordinates and when you want to enter a waypoint

Elvui is good if you like the the regular ui

If any of you guys are healing Vuhdo is the way to go, imo.

1 hour ago, Spacedeck said:

Have you guys ever followed the lore?  I'm thinking about buying World of Warcraft: Chronicle Volume 1 to begin reading.  Price never goes below £20 though!

Ooooooh yes! I am a lore nerd when it comes to most things, WoW is no exception, though I haven't been following as closely since Cataclysm just because I wasn't playing. I haven't read either of the Chronicles yet, but I believe they are rather large, which may explain why the price hasn't dropped. You could also wade into Wowpedia, though it would be a less structured way of discovering lore. If you go that route starting with the Titans might be the easiest and then just clicking on something that catches you eye from there.

4 hours ago, Rumelylady said:

Deadly Boss Mods (more for level cap)

Tomtom is also pretty helpful for coordinates and when you want to enter a waypoint

Elvui is good if you like the the regular ui

If any of you guys are healing Vuhdo is the way to go, imo.

Ooooooh yes! I am a lore nerd when it comes to most things, WoW is no exception, though I haven't been following as closely since Cataclysm just because I wasn't playing. I haven't read either of the Chronicles yet, but I believe they are rather large, which may explain why the price hasn't dropped. You could also wade into Wowpedia, though it would be a less structured way of discovering lore. If you go that route starting with the Titans might be the easiest and then just clicking on something that catches you eye from there.

Thanks for the post! I'll look at Vuhdo as I've just started a human priest for the first time.  Always scared away from the healing type class cause.... noob 😂.

I'll have a wander through Wowpedia and see what crops up.  Do you have a good place to start in regards to books? I want to read up on the lore from the beginning, or atleast the beginning of World of Warcraft before expansions came out.

This is the reading list I like to go by. I hadn't thought about it earlier. They recommend Rise of the Horde (after Chronicles Vol 1) and I would have to agree. It's about the corruption of the orcs, so a good chunk of the modern situations is a result of that.

Honestly, judging from the content of Chronicles 2 I would probably read it either right before or immediately after Rise of the Horde as it deals with Draenor and the war between the orcs and Azeroth when the first came through the Dark Portal. I think Vol 3 should probably go after The Shattering. It covers WC3 to the end of the Cataclysm expansion.

For anyone interested, I just finished this article on Wowhead written by one of the original dungeon designers from Vanilla. He also started a Kickstarted yesterday for a book called The World of Warcraft Diary. It's all his behind the scenes notes of what happened during the development up until launch. I'm been burned on Kickstarter more than seen something come through, but I'm seriously considering giving it another go for this.

Currently up to page 54 and a lot of history has happened already. I must admit though, I'm finding the whole thing going right over my head a lot of the time. Just seems confusing, knowing who's who an all that. I think it's more the scale I'm getting confused by, I'm getting more as I read more, so will most likely backtrack to get a better understanding throughout the book.