EFL Championship 2018/2019

GazzaGarratt

The league below the Promise Land is now possibly one of the best leagues in the world and its certainly the one of the toughest.

I support Blackburn, as many of you know, and we've had a reasonably positive start - 2 points from 2 games isn't much but we dominated both games and unlucky not to take 6 points. Have to happy with performances so far being back in this league.

I think Villa look strong again. Keeping Grealish will make a difference. Will have to see if he leaves in the January transfer window though. Leeds have been surprising ones. They've spent big getting Bamford in and he hasn't really been needed. Big come down for Lampard after his first game in charge when they got hammered 4-1 at home to Leeds last week.

This weeks fixtures:

FRIDAY 17TH AUGUST

• Birmingham City 19:45 Swansea City

SATURDAY 18TH AUGUST

• Bristol City 15:00 Middlesbrough
  • Hull City 15:00 Blackburn Rovers
  • Ipswich Town 15:00 Aston Villa
  • Leeds United 15:00 Rotherham United
  • Millwall 15:00 Derby County
  • Reading 15:00 Bolton Wanderers
  • Sheffield United 15:00 Norwich City
  • West Bromwich Albion 15:00 Queens Park Rangers
  • Wigan Athletic 15:00 Nottingham Forest
  • Preston North End 17:30 Stoke City

SUNDAY 19TH AUGUST

• Brentford 15:00 Sheffield Wednesday

Me mates a Leeds fan and I watched their first match, they’re looking really strong and actually fun to watch. They’ll have to keep it up for a while season though.

Villa will always have a small place in my heart, was the first team I ever went to see. They did well to keep Grealish but £40-60m?? He’s not worth that.

I hope Leeds can maintain this positive start as it would be good to see them back in the Premier League but after the way they faded last year, it just goes to show what a long and demanding season it is. I think they are in much better hands with Bielsa than Christiansen and it's clearly showing already. 

I have a couple of friends playing for Brstiol City and Middlesbrough so I always keep an eye on those teams and the play-off race is always interesting as is the relegation battle. Nottingham Forest have to make a big push this year especially with the amount of money they've spent and Aston Villa who are in deep financial shit have to get promoted without fail else they'll have more overriding debts than their overall assets which could see them do a Sunderland. 

I will also follow Ipswich closely for Dave's sake as they look to cement their 56th straight mid-table finish and I also hope Reading get relegated in which all their supporters will go back to following Chelsea😎

Leeds, sorry but no.... I have a long memory, back to Charlton, Bremner and co......dirty, cheating, fouling and I think it’s in the club DNA...I actually dislike Leeds more than I do the scum from up the A140

fa91d1c7-2525-4709-a13b-ae6fabba557e.jpg

Thanks to Capn_Underpants for the artwork

14 hours ago, J4MES OX4D said:

RIP QPR

That was a hammering weren't it?! 7-1. How the mighty have fallen. Also proves my point when I mentioned about West Brom getting the better deal out of Dwight Gayle and Salamon Rondon. He was immense yesterday.

Blackburn grinded out a 1-0 win at Hull. Extremely happy that we're still unbeaten and moving upwards. Boro keep their impressive start going too. Good result for the Tractor boys against the Villa, Dave?

SATURDAY 18TH AUGUST

• Bristol City 0 Middlesbrough 2
  • Hull 0 Blackburn 1
  • Ipswich 1 Aston Villa 1
  • Leeds 2 Rotherham 0
  • Millwall 2 Derby 1
  • Reading 0 Bolton 1
  • Sheff Utd 2 Norwich 1
  • West Brom 7 QPR 1
  • Wigan 2 Nottm Forest 2
  • Preston 2 Stoke 2

FRIDAY 17TH AUGUST

• Birmingham 0 Swansea 0

1 hour ago, GazzaGarratt said:

That was a hammering weren't it?! 7-1. How the mighty have fallen. Also proves my point when I mentioned about West Brom getting the better deal out of Dwight Gayle and Salamon Rondon. He was immense yesterday.

Blackburn grinded out a 1-0 win at Hull. Extremely happy that we're still unbeaten and moving upwards. Boro keep their impressive start going too. Good result for the Tractor boys against the Villa, Dave?

SATURDAY 18TH AUGUST

• Bristol City 0 Middlesbrough 2
  • Hull 0 Blackburn 1
  • Ipswich 1 Aston Villa 1
  • Leeds 2 Rotherham 0
  • Millwall 2 Derby 1
  • Reading 0 Bolton 1
  • Sheff Utd 2 Norwich 1
  • West Brom 7 QPR 1
  • Wigan 2 Nottm Forest 2
  • Preston 2 Stoke 2

FRIDAY 17TH AUGUST

• Birmingham 0 Swansea 0

Haven’t watched the highlights (are they available anywhere? Can’t see them in the schedules) but after they went down to 10 men the place started bouncing and they kept going for the win. Gotta be pleased we have twice as many points as the scum even if that’s only 2 points! 😂😂

fa91d1c7-2525-4709-a13b-ae6fabba557e.jpg

Thanks to Capn_Underpants for the artwork

1 hour ago, Plumbers Crack said:

Haven’t watched the highlights (are they available anywhere? Can’t see them in the schedules)

Football League highlights are now on Quest at 9pm which is channel 37 on Freeview. They are also doing the Carabao Cup and Checkatrade Trophy like Channel 5 did last time. 

IMG_20180826_135227.jpeg

Leeds are continuing good form, longer than I expected tbh. I'm sure Leeds fan would agree. Middlesbrough look my early favourites to win the league.

Positive news for Blackburn though as whilst we are missing our 2 best strikers we can still win games and remain unbeaten. Also, getting 19 year old Ben Brereton for initial loan then for 7 million in Jan is quite incredible as our strike force looks formidable now. We also look likely to get Harry Chapman back on loan from Middlesbrough which is ace news. Really hopeful on a playoff spot now, I think we have a huge chance at making them.

1 hour ago, Plumbers Crack said:

I think it's going to be a long, long season 😩😩

Don't worry Dave, in the famous words of Yazz; ''the only way is up''. You're only one point from safety and if you win your next match 8-0, you could even go up to 16th😎

15 hours ago, Baabcat said:

So big match tonight, The Mighty Boro v Dirty Leeds, top of the table clash and let’s not forget:

Stalemate I suppose was enevitable. No one wanted to give up their good start rather than go for the win.

14 hours ago, Plumbers Crack said:

Old Farm Derby first leg at Portman Road on Sunday lunchtime......not feeling too confident 😞

I'm with James, I think you've got them. They aren't looking the best either and you only need a little lift and you'll be fine.

1st Sept Fixtures

• Birmingham v QPR
  • Brentford v Nottm Forest
  • Hull v Derby
  • Preston v Bolton
  • Reading v Sheff Wed
  • Sheff Utd v Aston Villa
  • West Brom v Stoke
  • Wigan v Rotherham
  • Millwall v Swansea

2nd Sept Fixtures

• Ipswich v Norwich
  • Bristol City v Blackburn

Back to reality with a bump. After leading 1-0 we end up losing 4-1 to Bristol City. We were going to lose at some point but I was just getting used to us being undefeated!

Bolton had a cracking start to the season but this is bad news that could have dire repercussions going forward https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45479624
You'd think I'd be laughing inside as its Bolton but I just think administration to hit mid-season is literally the worst. I'd rather be beating them on the pitch and the tables fair and square, not with them at a disadvantage.

I think we've been fairly lucky that we've not seen any many administrations in recent years given how much of Football is down to money these days.