Console Emulators

J4MES OX4D

Anyone use these? Perfectly legal but morally questionable in the eyes of some. I've been using Project64 to play GoldenEye and Perfect Dark recently and seeing that I own both these games twice over, my conscience is clear😃 The only thing that really flirts with legality is the sites making available the ROM's (games) and even worse, if they are making any form of profit from it i.e site advertising. 

I'm looking at doing the Wii U version of Breath of the Wild with the Cemu emulator. The game looks astonishing on PC in 60fps, overhauled shader caches and texture improvements. Setting up the emulator is easy but executing the game takes some doing by the look of things though. I think I would want to compensate if I did play the game this way so I would likely buy a Wii U copy of the game even if it remains sealed. Just not willing to buy a console just to experience one game. 

Nintendo have been in the news about this recently as they continue to battle ROM sites - it's a losing battle really and whilst I don't condone piracy or people who profit from this; I wish Nintendo work with emulator creators rather than trying to plug something that will never be made illegal. They could easily licence their catalogue to an emulator and then charge full price and take 90% of the income leaving the site with just 10% and it still would be a good deal all round.

Piracy I don't condone at all but I'm beginning to appreciate emulators more and the work that goes into them. 

I don't think there's anything wrong with you doing it tbh (yes, Lee did say that). Emulators are a choice and a convenient one at that for some. I personally think they're more a novelty for softcore/casual players in the main.

I've been bought one or two in the past and I think they don't have a shelf life but business wise clearly profitable.

You know my personal stance on these though. I love games for the overall package, which includes having something tangible. Too often and becoming the new world, is everything becoming Digital. We'll end up not really owning anything. Equally it breeds lack of care imo. Idc for my PC games cos i can't see them and if my PC breaks I'll just put my login in and pick it straight up. Maybe its why I've struggled to play PC games of late.

Anyhow, I've rambled far too much about my opinion of them!

Tldr - makes business sense if you can make an all in 1 cross platform 'Top 20' games of 2012, etc. I'll respectfully won't buy one though :D

Thread just reminded me I need to get back to sorting this out.  Lost everything not long ago when I reinstalled Windows.  I tend to emulate as I don't have the room to store a bunch of old systems.  We do have old systems like N64, SNES, SEGA Saturn, MegaDrive (might have missed some) but they are all stored away at my dads house, hoping to set them all back up when / if I ever get the room.

I do have a GameGear though that I like to still game on, would like to try get some more games for it also at some point.

26 minutes ago, The3rdWalker said:

I feel like I just heard a thousand AA batteries cry out all at once.

I hear ya! Mine isn't exactly mobile.  I ended up buying an adaptor to keep it plugged in.  Might look at rechargeable batteries though as it may be easier.

Thread just reminded me I need to get back to sorting this out.  Lost everything not long ago when I reinstalled Windows.  I tend to emulate as I don't have the room to store a bunch of old systems.  We do have old systems like N64, SNES, SEGA Saturn, MegaDrive (might have missed some) but they are all stored away at my dads house, hoping to set them all back up when / if I ever get the room.

I do have a GameGear though that I like to still game on, would like to try get some more games for it also at some point.
Finally! Someone that has THE actual consoles rather than just emulators!

As you'll soon find out, its a stupid principle I have but I just won't invest in one as I've had all my consoles set up to play the originals like you used to. I also need a better set up as they were collecting too much dust in my current storage compartments. Hoping to get them back out again within a year.

I feel like I just heard a thousand AA batteries cry out all at once.
Lolz! I also too have one that has a plugged adapter sellotaped to it so it works! The huge handheld devices can't be replicated to give the same feeling if you haven't got the humongous device in front of you. The Atari Lynx is another one that you feel like you're holding a massive piece of plastic!

We should have a separate thread about old consoles. The retro section I miss sorely [emoji22]

Well I used EP for most of my ROMS, even got Premium to support and better downloads.  I need to obtain my retro games again though, so looks as though I'm in search for alternative sites, if you know of any trustworthy sites that are still decent?

I miss my Game Gear. Poker Face Paul was my favorite!!! Used to play poker on long car rides with my parents.

Via the FG App

5abdbe250c715_RespectAll-FearNone.png.9bc1a4f0d1cdab1c7e67e48baf8275b4.png.63941b93d8c1d7bc3f9ca9f365076c45.png