Forsaken News

TigerBurge

Let’s try to keep all Forsaken news to this thread. Makes it easier to find 

The big big news in the video is that it looks like weapon slot changes are coming Aug 28. A week before the Forsaken release 

My lordy lord. Whatever you think about Bungie they do make some of the best mini snippets to showcase the game. And Ace of Spades is definitely back now then!

The perks look amazing. Literally amazing. On all these guns, bows and armour. I want them all. Like now.

Update on Milestones and the Mod system. This is from the Gameinformer article 

Although Forsaken promises to give Destiny 2 players plenty of new things to do (a new campaign, two new destinations, the new Gambit mode), it’s also making big changes to some of the things already on offer. This September, fans will find two major aspects have been altered: Milestones, which will become more plentiful and fluid, and mods, which will hopefully become a more meaningful way to customize your gear.

We spoke to Destiny 2 game director Steve Cotton about both of these changes, and he shed plenty of light on how players can expect to change up their guns and weekly schedule around the new mods and milestones in Forsaken.

From Milestones To Challenges

One of the most prominent changes from the original Destiny to Destiny 2 is the increased focus on weekly milestones. At the start of each week in Destiny 2, you get a fresh new slate of milestones which offer “powerful” loot – the only kind that can increase your power level in the lategame.

Although this system makes it easy to see what you should do to increase your power, it also has its flaws. Milestones currently have you heading to the same activities to accomplish the same tasks every week. And once you complete these weekly milestones, you don’t have too many other ways of leveling up. Iron Banner and Faction Rally events, catalysts, and other activities offer other objectives to chase, but it’s hard not to feel discouraged from playing after a certain point every week, which isn’t exactly what you want out of a “hobby” game.

When the Forsaken launches, hardcore players will have much more on their plates. Rather than a set number of milestones, what you do in a given week will vary. While raids and raid lairs will still offer their regular powerful rewards once per week, other milestones will change to a four-day cycle. “All the Destiny 2 milestones will be there, but they will be advertised and tracked in a different way,” Cotton says. The tab will now only show critical-path objectives, like story mode and DLC completion, quest steps, and legacy milestones from the base game (such as quests for exotic weapons like the MIDA Multi-Tool).

D2_Forsaken_Gear_PS4_08.jpg

I

Instead of checking a tab to see your task list, you’ll now find the director lighting up and pointing you to individual locations and activity destinations (like the Vanguard and Crucible screens), which will show you how to earn powerful loot. “The best way to think about this is that there will be several different ways to go out in the world and get more powerful,” Cotton says.

Second, some terminology is changing. Milestones are now challenges, and what Destiny 2 currently calls challenges (objectives that offer tokens for their completion) will be absorbed into the new bounty system. Along with the usual powerful reward checklist from the base game (for completing the weekly Flashpoint, Strike, Crucible, Nightfall, Clan, and Raid challenges), there will be new weekly challenges for bounties, Gambit, Heroic story missions, and the Dreaming City’s new public event. And, when it's time for an Iron Banner or Faction Rally event, those will also add to the list of challenges for that week.

On top of that, new daily challenges will offer more ways for players to get earn powerful loot every day. These challenges will rotate among various activities like strikes, Nightfall strikes, Gambit, Heroic adventures, and Crucible. So in a given week, you might tackle two Crucible challenges, two Gambit challenges, two strike challenges, and one Heroic adventure, depending on the random rotation.

If you don't have time to log in every day, don't worry – daily challenges will wait for you. If you miss daily challenges, they'll stockpile until you have four saved up right before the next four-day reset. "If you wait longer than four days, you will miss the reset but the next time you log on there will be four daily challenges available to you," Cotton says. "If you do one or more the next day, if one of the ones you did is the daily reset, a new one will pop (on a schedule), and so on."

D2_Forsaken_GameInformer_TangledShore_05.jpg

Bounties will also offer additional ways to get more powerful. As we mentioned earlier this month, the bounty system will offer small quests for players of varying power levels to accomplish, and some will offer powerful loot. Not all bounties will, but each bounty will clearly display its reward, letting you know which ones to pick up if you’re only looking for powerful rewards.

There will also be several hidden challenges to look for, ones not highlighted by the director and which observant players will have to find for themselves, scattered across several activities. This should bring back some of the mystery fans have been looking for since the launch of Destiny 2; not only will you have a more extensive checklist of things to get more powerful, but exploring the world for secrets might also prove useful.

All of these new ways to earn powerful loot should offer reasons for players to keep playing much more regularly. “The intent is that you will always have something to go after,” Cotton says. This, on top of the new triumphs system, collections, and regular events already on the Destiny 2 calendar, should give players lots to do as they make the climb to the 600 power cap and suss out all of Forsaken's secrets.

D2_Forsaken_Gear_PS4_01.jpg

More Meaningful Mods

Another aspect of Destiny 2 that’s being reworked are mods. Before, they offered a way for each weapon and piece of armor to differentiate itself, and legendary mods offered a small boost in power, making them the only way to reach the power cap. As players sunk their teeth into the game, however, they found most mods weren’t all that different, and often, felt more like a requirement than a fun tool (see: legendary kinetic mods, which only offered five-point power boost for kinetic weapons).

With Forsaken, mods will hopefully be useful enough that you’ll want to equip them, not haveto. For one, mods will no longer offer a power boost, which means you won’t have a pressing need to equip a mod just to slightly increase your power. This means a couple of things: First, at Forsaken’s launch, only legendary mods will be available (no more combining rare mods!).

Second, it means a bit of house-cleaning. With your current mods becoming obsolete, you’ll have to make a quick run to the Gunsmith, who will take your old mods and trade them for components to make new ones. This does come with a slight downside: Because all mods are now designed to be more expressive, energy and heavy weapon mods will no longer act as a way to change the element of a given weapon.

These new mods will be less about cooldown reductions and more about changes you’ll notice right away. A few mods Cotton was able to reveal to us were Icarus Grip (which improves your weapon’s accuracy while airborne), Radar Tuner (which decreases the time it takes for your radar to return after you’re done aiming your weapon), and Targeting Adjuster (which grants your weapon better target acquisition).

D2_Forsaken_Gear_PS4_06.jpg

According to Cotton, bonuses like these will make mods more impactful overall. As a counterweight, mods will also be harder to acquire, but when you get one you like, it should feel like you’re making a weapon your own. “Ideally they aren’t something that you are swapping in and out regularly,” says Cotton. “[They’re] more something you use to put the finishing touches on your favorite weapons and armor.”

These changes also apply to raid weapons, which will use the same mod system, but also have access to unique raid mods. And while raid mods for the new raid that will follow Forsaken’s launch will be tailored to that specific raid, “there’s nothing stopping us from sneaking in some more universal raid mods in the future,” Cotton says.

While new content is always great to see, it’s the fundamental underpinnings of a game like Destiny 2 that can mean the difference between checking in with it every once in a while and having it regular rotation. With these sweeping changes to both milestones and mods, Cotton and the rest of the team at Bungie hope to move Destiny 2 further into the latter by always giving players something new to do, and making their choice of weapon and mod matter more than ever.

For more on Destiny 2: Forsaken, such as a look at a match of the new Breakthrough mode and your community questions answered, click on the banner below to see all of our Destiny 2 content, and check back throughout the month for more coverage.

Bungie showed off arguable the most convincing trailer for Destiny 2’s fall Forsaken expansion yet, one that debuts ten different exotics, which is not all of them on the way, but it’s enough to get players more than a little excited.

Why? Because finally, finally Bungie seems to have learned that exotic weapons and gear should feel truly exotic, and that’s never been more on display than what we see in this trailer. Here are the ten new exotics shown off, as well as some initial thoughts on each.

Two-Tailed Fox (Rocket Launcher) – Fire two rockets at once

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2F

Destiny 2Bungie

I believe this was called the Twin Rabbit at one point, as we got a look at it a while back. This fires two different rockets at once, but from this trailer, I’m wondering if each is able to independently track their target, as that’s what this PvP footage appears to show, rather than two rockets simply spiraling toward one target. If so, that’s a big deal.

MORE FROM FORBES

Antaeus Wards (Titan Boots) – Slide to reflect projectiles

Destiny 2Bungie

This is one of the most talked-about exotics of the bunch, as we see it reflect a rocket in the trailer, but fans are wondering what else it might be able to reflect. Colossus missiles? Tank shells? Nova bombs? It’s a cool concept, buuuut I’m wondering how practically useful it’s going to be in most circumstances. It seems extremely situational to be taking up your only exotic armor slot, and like you have the potential to get killed a lot of the time when diving in to reflect something that would otherwise one-shot you, but we’ll see.

Trinity Ghoul (Bow) – Precision kills creates electrical storm arrows

Destiny 2Bungie

This essentially turns your bow into an arc grenade launcher on precision kills, and I’m guessing that precision kills are something you get with a bow often. This seems pretty Riskrunner-esque with its chain lightning potential, but it just requires you to be accurate, not to be hit with arc damage yourself.

The Sixth Coyote (Hunter Chest) – Double dodge

Destiny 2Bungie

To me, this is probably the most underwhelming exotic of the ten. Sure, double dodge looks cool in this few-second snippet here, but in practice? With so many other great Hunter exotics out there? I’m just not sure I see the ultimate utility. Dodge is already on such a low cooldown in many builds this just doesn’t seem necessary. And considering half the point of dodging is to reload or charge your melee, doing that twice in a row instantly serves really no purpose. It’s really just for gap closing, I guess? I dunno, we’ll see.

Malfeasance (Hand Cannon) – Five hits detonate an explosion

Destiny 2Bungie

This is the hand cannon that everyone thought was the new Thorn, but it turns out it’s its own thing instead. These are five hits anywhere, not just precision hits like the Polaris Lance, so that’s a new level of crazy, depending on the magazine size.

Black Talon (Sword) – Projectile sword

Destiny 2Bungie

The Bolt Caster lives again in the form of an exotic sword that can shoot out a projectile. Swords have been underpowered for so long it will remain to be seen if one like this can bring the power weapon back into fashion, but I like what I’m seeing so far.

One Thousand Voices (Beam Rifle) – Exploding beam of fire

Destiny 2Bungie

Now we’re moving into the utter insanity portion of the program. This beam rifle is essentially…Xol’s mouth, shooting a beam of fire that rips up the ground with a follow-up explosion. I think it might be built directly from Xol himself, given the look of it and the name. I want this gun more than any of the others so far.

Chromatic Fire (Warlock Chest) – Elemental explosions from precision kinetic kills

Destiny 2Bungie

And speaking of craziness, this Warlock chest has the potential to be absolutely dominant. Giving every kinetic gun dragonfly? Crimson? Midnight Coup? Origin Story? MIDA? That’s just…wow. This is going to be extremely sought-after, I can already tell, and it looks pretty awesome to boot.

Wish-Ender (Bow) – See through walls and over-penetrate targets

Destiny 2Bungie

Become the bane of everyone in PvP with wall hacks. You can’t shoot through walls, which is what I initially thought, but you can shoot through people to hit…other people, which is still cool in its own right.

Ace of Spades (Hand Cannon) – Reloading after a kill grants extra damage bullets

Destiny 2Bungie

Everyone is shrugging about this because it sounds like the Ace of Spades exotic perk is just Kill Clip, but I think it’s more than that. I believe reloading after a kill gives you an entire magazine of powerful bullets, not just a short window of time like Kill Clip. And from the footage, it looks like they pack a lot more of a punch than regular Kill Clip shots. So don’t count Ace out yet.

??? (Shotgun) - ???

Destiny 2Bungie

This was just shown briefly at the end, but a pump shotgun covered in Hive runes? I don’t know what it is or what it does but I want it all the same. Also shown in this trailer are the four-barreled shotgun Game Informer covered and the return of the Titan airplane helm.

God, I really cannot wait until September.

Luke 23:34
'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

So I didn't actually read anything I posted, so i have to ask.... Are they stopping the stupid fucking +5 mods?

Luke 23:34
'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

3 minutes ago, Sennex said:

So I didn't actually read anything I posted, so i have to ask.... Are they stopping the stupid fucking +5 mods?

Hell yes. Mods will exist without the +5 weird thing.

Also, I posted that video on a different thread but just to reiterate, it is an incredible minute of marketing talent. Literally amazeballs. Whether the guns actually become that 'Wow' factor i'm not sure but some of the perks look truly brilliant. That Warlock chest piece making any Kinetic weapon adding Firefly is great.

Some PvP key Exotics in there; the Titan boots may be hard to proc when deflecting projectiles but the feeling will clearly be quality when it does happen. These are great exotics to feel like we have to go and get. I hope anyway.

Haven't watched the video above but speaking of mods, they've confirmed that the current mods are completely obscelete come Forsaken and transitioning to something else apparently. You will be able to give your old mods into the Gunsmith to get something back but it makes me feel like we could get rid of them now.

News on Armor perks and random roll weapons 

Cool stuff, so watching this now and as I thought, you can dismantle as many purple legendary mods as you can. Mod components will be required in Forsaken so stock where you can. I'll write it out if you haven't watched it:

1. Stock Glimmer
2. Use Glimmer to buy blue rare mods
3. Pick up purple mods that you now have created
4. Dismantle purple mods to get mod components

I'd probably only keep a few elemental (void, solar, arc) and kinetic mods but everyone should be able to make plenty of these.

News on Armor perks and random roll weapons 

Cool stuff, so watching this now and as I thought, you can dismantle as many purple legendary mods as you can. Mod components will be required in Forsaken so stock where you can. I'll write it out if you haven't watched it:

1. Stock Glimmer
2. Use Glimmer to buy blue rare mods
3. Pick up purple mods that you now have created
4. Dismantle purple mods to get mod components

I'd probably only keep a few elemental (void, solar, arc) and kinetic mods but everyone should be able to make plenty of these.

I mentioned on a previous thread about The Blind Well essentially being the Escalation Protocol of The Dreaming City so you see a tiny clip of it here.

Also looks like the 3-weekly rotation will start in Light and end in Darkness, progressively getting harder.

There is so much lore here for the nerds out there. My guess now is on the Queen for the Raid Boss.

6 hours ago, cyberninja2601 said:

I'm completely lost guys.

If I wait until Foresaken availability will I basically catch up? I can't remember the last time I played D2. 

I see you guys have been pretty active which is nice

Yeah, you can catch up Pat. I'm sure they're doing one of those spark thingys that will get your main character up to a level that you can play the later content reasonably quickly. We can help you through some campaign stuff too.