GPU upgrade

phil bottle

With graphics cards finally coming back down to a reasonable price, I'm tempted to pick up a 1080ti.

I see the Asus - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB STRIX has dropped down to £750.

However, I believe Nvidia will be announcing a new card range and new architecture at the end of the summer, so I'm kind of not sure whether to go for it now, or carry on waiting.

I love my 770, it has been a beast if a card for 5 years but doesn't cut it on ultra, or even high, with some new games.

Any thoughts?

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

18 minutes ago, The3rdWalker said:

I think the new 11 series should bump the price of the 1080ti down a little bit. Holy cow you're on a 770?! It's going to be a whole new world when you get a 1080ti. That card will do you right for about a 5-10 years. 

Yeah, but will it run Minecraft at a decent level?

fa91d1c7-2525-4709-a13b-ae6fabba557e.jpg

Thanks to Capn_Underpants for the artwork

I think the new 11 series should bump the price of the 1080ti down a little bit. Holy cow you're on a 770?! It's going to be a whole new world when you get a 1080ti. That card will do you right for about a 5-10 years. 
It's amazing how many games I play that rely more on a fast CPU, which is why I've persisted with the 770 for so long.

But it's struggling now with games requiring more grunt...and GPU memory in particular as it's only 2gb...and so time to move on.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

^wot he sed. To spend 750 of the queen's finest heads on something that will only ever flex half its muscles is nuts, think of all the beers you could buy me with the remaining bank. 

@phil bottle you're on 1440p no? 

banlol.png

^wot he sed. To spend 750 of the queen's finest heads on something that will only ever flex half its muscles is nuts, think of all the beers you could buy me with the remaining bank. 

[mention=141]phil bottle[/mention] you're on 1440p no? 
Yeah man but my TV is 4K innit[emoji41]

My CPU clocks in at 4.39mhz and it's about time it had a decent partner.

Realistically I only need a 1070 right now but games on PC are getting more and more needy, so I think the 1080ti will be happening...But we'll see, going to wait until Nvidia announce they're new range[emoji106]

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

[mention=141]phil bottle[/mention] you're on 1440p no? 
Yeah man but my TV is 4K innit[emoji41]

My CPU clocks in at 4.39mhz and it's about time it had a decent partner.

Realistically I only need a 1070 right now but games on PC are getting more and more needy, so I think the 1080ti will be happening...But we'll see, going to wait until Nvidia announce they're new range[emoji106]

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

I finally did it. 1080ti arrives on Friday. Down from £1000 to just under £700, with a £20 amazon gift card :)

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/YNVBD3/msi-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-11gb-gaming-x-video-card-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-gaming-x-11g

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

It arrived today, couple of days early. I managed to blag an extra work from home day.

Installed like a dream. I'll be manually updating my games settings though rather than relying on Nvidia but I have a few I want
to start with.

Happy days.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

53 minutes ago, phil bottle said:

I'll be manually updating my games settings though rather than relying on Nvidia

Crank it all up to max Phil and enjoy the ride! Don't ever rely on the GeForce Experience as that takes the fun out of optimising games plus it's woefully wrong in many cases - It had me set to high on The Division with my 770 but on my 1070 it suggested medium....

@J4MES OX4D do you use GeForce Experience?  If not you might as well just uninstall it.  I download my drivers manually and only install what I actually need, also run it as a clean install for each update.  Usually it installs crap I don't even need or use if I use GeForce Experience.

3 hours ago, J4MES OX4D said:

Crank it all up to max Phil and enjoy the ride! Don't ever rely on the GeForce Experience as that takes the fun out of optimising games plus it's woefully wrong in many cases - It had me set to high on The Division with my 770 but on my 1070 it suggested medium....

So true, even though it recognises I have a new GPU, it's kept the same optimal settings as for the 770 lol.

So far:

Battlefield 1 on ultra settings has made it a game I want to play again. So smooth it's unreal.

Escape From Tarkov has been a revelation.

Doom. Oh my lord.

Tom Clancy games next...

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

1 hour ago, Spacedeck said:

@J4MES OX4D do you use GeForce Experience?  If not you might as well just uninstall it.  I download my drivers manually and only install what I actually need, also run it as a clean install for each update.  Usually it installs crap I don't even need or use if I use GeForce Experience.

Personally I use it for recording and streaming. I too always run a clean install, Nvidia always seems to leave old stuff behind otherwise.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

16 minutes ago, phil bottle said:

So far:

Battlefield 1 on ultra settings has made it a game I want to play again. So smooth it's unreal.

Escape From Tarkov has been a revelation.

Doom. Oh my lord.

Tom Clancy games next...

Break out the Kleenex!! 😂

fa91d1c7-2525-4709-a13b-ae6fabba557e.jpg

Thanks to Capn_Underpants for the artwork