No Man's Sky NEXT

I'm probably the only one here who cares since I'm one of a very few who have enjoyed the game since day 1, but thought this was worth sharing. NEXT is a huge free update that dropped today; also the game launched on Xbox One.

There's far too much to summarize but the biggest highlights are four person multiplayer (you can join anyone's game at any time, regardless of where you are) and greatly enhanced base building. You can also build bases in multiplayer where the host "owns" the base but everyone can build on it.

Not really interested in discussing the game's (or developer's) history since that topic has been beaten to death, resurrected, and beaten to death several more times. Just thought some people might be interested in giving it a try now.

Patch notes link: https://www.nomanssky.com/next-update/

Loads of shit flying around about this being better, haven't got it but it's tempting. What are the goals? Are there quests / missions / etc? Can you team up with others and fuck stuff up? What's the loot stuff like? Various weapons? Armour and stats? Or is it simply another shitty survival game?

banlol.png

I am also looking into this. I almost bought it yesterday, but instead started working on a new Plex server.

Luke 23:34
'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

2 minutes ago, Diddums said:

Loads of shit flying around about this being better, haven't got it but it's tempting. What are the goals? Are there quests / missions / etc? Can you team up with others and fuck stuff up? What's the loot stuff like? Various weapons? Armour and stats? Or is it simply another shitty survival game?

Exactly my thoughts. It was  £12.99 when i checked yesterday for a used copy so need to understand more about the objectives.

1 minute ago, Sennex said:

I am also looking into this. I almost bought it yesterday, but instead started working on a new Plex server.

Slight derailing thread here - whats Plex?

The sweet, sweet taste of pure unrestricted piracy of the most delicious kind. Coupled with Couchpotato you can get it to download all your favourite tv shows for free and stream them to any device in your house for nada. 

banlol.png

It's 14.99 on PS Store at the moment so I picked it up.

It's one of those games where you have to collect resources and build better and better equipment. Just to get your ship started you have a bunch of things to do, while trying to survive a harsh climate.

Was single player but they've now added multiplayer and co-op.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

Hmmmm. Might pick it up then, but it'll hafta wait till next month, I already blew all my spare bank this month on work clobber, turns out being a suit is asspensiff.

Sounds like the kind of game that would make a good YouTube series.

banlol.png

I bought it yesterday with some spare wallet funds on Steam and refunded it soon after. 

I do appreciate the work that developers have put into the game but it's still only a shadow of what it should have been two years ago and just shows how terrible and bare the original game was.  I didn't find it fun even with the update features - it's just mining and grinding and dealing with some of the most poorly implemented menus imaginable.  The game seems intriguing at first but it becomes repetitive fairly quickly and unless you have a very vivid role-play imagination;  it's the same old stuff over and over with generic tasks added on top.  Much has been added with Next but that was the expectation and the obligation - I also cannot help but feel this game wouldn't have been as heavily supported if no Xbox One version was commissioned. 

There is so many better, deeper and more immersive games out there like Subnautica and The Forest. I still can't work out how No Man's Sky managed to brainwash so many people in the first place and whilst this update does give people something more two years later; it doesn't really do anything truly unique as a videogame despite wowing in terms of asset-algorithmic variety and quantity.  I do think a fair few people would enjoy it especially online with friends and in the sale, it's quite an attractive price but now we are entering the business time of the year when new games are coming out and existing popular games are thriving. I just dunno how long NMS can remain rejuvenated but it does deserve another chance especially after the scandalous start. 

The game is optimised like a piece of shit though so be warned.