Moderation of Speakers Corner

Have to be honest here. And Lee did give me the chance to have a say before they did anything, so no complaints there.

If Moderation is going to apply, then it needs to be for ALL posts. Not just 'speakers corner' (which is kind of funny when you think about it). Which no-one would like. So, it needs to be discontinued, in my opinion.

Any methodology you are going to use for this will leave you stepping on eggshells and trying to walk tightropes, tightropes laced with Vaseline.

I'll go further in detail on this, if needed.

I'm sorry not everyone likes what gets discussed politics-wise but that's life, we have opinions and I'm never in favour of trying to control that kind of thing. We're adults and personally, I like to know what kind of person I might be spending my time with.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

As a suggestion- you could make the Speakers Corner a private section only view-able to members of Forever Gaming. It keeps it out of the public eye, and FG members get to continue watching McNasty bicker with everyone. (Sarcasm)

i7 7700k, 16GB RAM, GEFORCE 1080, 240GB SSHD, 2TB SSD

We are adults and we do need to understand that forums are here to capture opinions and have good healthy debates.

If it was up to me, and I'll be totally honest here, I would've removed it completely some time ago. However, I know that we discussed this not long ago and there was a desire to keep the politics section over T&A.

I'll always listen to the compromisable option as much as I can. That being said you can't keep everyone happy.

Rob's suggestion is a good one and I'm considering going a little further as to having it a section where you 'opt-in' as an FGer. That way there is acknowledgement when you enter you know what you're going into ahead of the section. It also means it is ignored to other members, new and old, that don't want to see it or get involved.

Equally, Phil's point is quite correct too. Moderation needs to be here across the entire of FG. Everywhere has this and I could go way further, including filtering out swearing, but I'm not quite there yet. This is a broader subject we'll pick up separately as Moderators need to be actively helping more on FG when this happens.

We all must understand if we want this place to flourish and grow in an overall positive way, we just need some framework and guidelines. Otherwise, like anything without any structure or oversight it would fall to pieces.

I'm open to hear more views. I want people to be aware at the same time please have FG's interests at heart.

I personally like the light touch you mods have on the site at present, I also think it’s reflected in the overwhelming majority of the posts, only some of which occasionally make you wince but probably smile at the same time!

I’m all for Rob’s idea about making it a members only section and also Lee’s regarding making it a sign up “you’ve been warned” area.

Edit: Why has this become an issue? Have I missed something?

fa91d1c7-2525-4709-a13b-ae6fabba557e.jpg

Thanks to Capn_Underpants for the artwork

2 minutes ago, Plumbers Crack said:

I personally like the light touch you mods have on the site at present, I also think it’s reflected in the overwhelming majority of the posts, only some of which occasionally make you wince but probably smile at the same time!

I’m all for Rob’s idea about making it a members only section and also Lee’s regarding making it a sign up “you’ve been warned” area.

Edit: Why has this become an issue? Have I missed something?

In terms of an 'issue' isn't one I don't think there is one as its a broader question - I mentioned to Phil some time ago I was thinking of removing it soon and this helps stem the conversation.

Re: light touch - i can't see us changing that much tbh but at the same time you have to realise why its light touch. 1) we've built strong and positive friendships on here so we all know each others boundaries  (well, most 😉), 2) we have mods but how much 'moderation' is actually done right now is extremely small. Like 0.03% of time, and 3) we just don't have the number of active posters right now. If we had more people here which I know everyone would love, you'll have more stuff to keep an eye on.

We're a gaming family/community that needs more activity (well, i want it) and also want it to be a one stop for 'life' too as that's where a real family here goes further. If Reddit can do it, why can't we.

P.s. for the record, i believe we can shit all over Reddit as what we stand for and what we've built is unique and simply awesome.

I say all of the below with full knowledge that I started the vast majority of the political threads in that sub forum.

However, views change.

TA > politics IMO.

It was a mistake listening to the group when I posted that poll.

Delete it, or I can. I told Lee this, but not the rest of you. I had some coworkers that were browsing the forums on my laptop a bit ago. That particular day, only political threads were going, they all 4 said no thanks. I put the forum on moderation after that, and it amuses me that no one noticed until today. (I get notices whenever people post there, I have been counting the days until someone posted there. 14 days.)

I've grouped with a bunch of people on Warframe, Division, and Destiny 2. None have joined up here. Why?

I have asked and was given non-committal answers.

Politics have zero to do with gaming.

Regardless of all the talk of us being a family. New people are NOT members of that family yet, they don't get us, they don't how we all talk to each other.

Why turn off those potential new members with an entire forum dedicated to shit that, right now, makes people angry, and pushes them away?

Seems counter to what Lee whats for this place.

Rip off the broken limb and move on.

None of this means that getting rid of that section will make the membership #'s for the site increase. However, at this point, no one can say it won't.

Focus on the brand Lee wants us to have.

Yes, adults can talk about whatever they want, but adults should also know that some things should be avoided when they don't have a place anymore.

Luke 23:34
'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

The lack of posting on a regular basis leads me to believe that honestly no one would.

If anyone wants to start a site up called "forever politics", I will happily join and talk shit.

'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

Politics .... more posts during election years? I dunno...ditch it if you feel it’s necessary, I’ll go with the majority but I feel uneasy that we haven’t got an area where we can have “robust” discussions between consenting members, even if they are infrequent.

fa91d1c7-2525-4709-a13b-ae6fabba557e.jpg

Thanks to Capn_Underpants for the artwork

I didn't approve it. You should have gotten a message from me when I denied it, thats how that is set up. If not, then I apologize, I should have tested that more before turning it on.

While it might have been tongue in cheek, you specifically mentioned 2 other members, and their need for a "safe space".

Some might take it as funny, but the two mentioned could very easily have claimed you were personally attacking them. The only person I am okay with being personally attacked here is myself.

Honestly, this is a great example of why that forum is a bad idea. No one is going to get their jimmies rustled if you tell them their opinion is wrong about Destiny 2 or Cod. We can poke fun at each other all day every day, and the entire forum (for the most part) will get involved. As soon as it switches over to politics, everyone's ass gets super sensitive.

Lets take a look at member #'s as well. We have roughly 4 people that post there, 2 of which almost exclusively post there and no where else. In the last 24 hours, we had 25 people online, 3 of those were people that posted there occasionally, one of those 3 is actively removing his posts.

There is also an argument for that forum driving people away (Granted in my opinion, 2 of them should have never been part of what I consider our family here to actually consist of, but that's not my call).

I'll summarise what I've taken from this good discussion.

We'll keep learning from how people post, existing and new. That's where all this stemmed from, so not a big issue.

Not changed my stance as i said earlier:

- We aren't going moderate differently
- We always need to think how we post regardless of section
- I'll move things as usual and give transaparent updates
- We eventually need basic guidelines for newbies. This includes just how to interact with FG.
- We will need a section for this stuff somewhere and when I've worked out how the overall structure looks I'll update it

I sit here and just thought, biggest point for all to take away - It wouldn't have probably been talked about if we had more footfall and more posts on gaming and other general life stuff. If everyone got behind the FG bandwagon its all gravy, baby (as Romeo and Christina Milian once said)

Normal business resumed. Thanks for the feedback. Always useful to know thoughts. I also won't lock this if others have more opinions. GGFG.

Here’s my opinion not that it matters but the easiest was to piss someone off is to talk politics and religion. 

I say get rid of it. If you want to talk politics go to Facebook like the rest of the thousands of twats that complain about it on a daily basis. I don’t nor do I ever go to that sub. It’s probably been years and mostly to read Spectras foil hat theories,sorry I found them interesting,didn’t agree with them but enjoyed reading them. 

I agree with Bart that I feel like it doesn’t have a place here. It’s always started more arguments than done good

. To respond on what Phil said,that is the only sub that needs moderation as none of the others have issues with people getting their feeling hurt 

Oh and to agree with Bart TA>Politics 

Did someone say T&A? Yes, please. :)
I have zero problems with dropping the politics corner. I suppose people could post about that in their PPRs if they want to. Those aren't visible to non-members, correct?

Via the FG App

5abdbe250c715_RespectAll-FearNone.png.9bc1a4f0d1cdab1c7e67e48baf8275b4.png.63941b93d8c1d7bc3f9ca9f365076c45.png

Seconded, ditch SC and reinstate T&A. T&A was removed because Adsense had a little fanny wobble about it, but Adsense jumped off a cliff so we can do whatever the fuck we want, like this:

You're all cunts.

kthnxbai ❤️

banlol.png

well that sucks. 

but i get it.  in my experience, people only get upset when they can't defend their opinions, but i understand that people really aren't trying to defend their opinions on a gaming forum.  i guess i can agree that it didn't have a place here if you're really going for a gaming community (over the community i found and enjoyed in Speaker's Corner).  i just want to say that earning respect through the debates that took place there was valuable to me, and i thank those who allowed it to continue for as long as it did.  

with all sincerity, good luck with the growth.  and pass this along to McNasty if you see him.

• Sennex locked this topic