Sign in to follow this  
phil bottle

Advanced Dungeons and Dragons

Yea, i have a really hard time dealing with players that don't pay attention. Unless they are kids, I cut kids a lot of slack.

I ran a game for a coworker, his wife, their daughter, and my wife. The daughter was 14, all she wanted to do was play Table Top WoW. She had absolutely zero interest in a 3 way civil war wrapped around slavery and religious persecution. Which makes total sense, I helped her roll a night elf hunter (Ranger) and have a huge panther as a mount. She frequently lied about her dice rolls and never paid attention. As the GM I just recorded half damage for her, pretty much always, and had all the important NPC's ignore her moire ridiculous actions.

The game was a lot of fun, but it didn't last, as my coworker ended up getting fired.

Our 2nd session of D&D didn't feature me, as I was in a foul mood. But they played my character for me and I'm up to level 3.

I've just read the synopsis of the night and I'm a little astonished that they managed to introduce a T-Rex into the forgotten realms. Not sure about that.

My character Makkno spent the evening shooting off fireballs apparently. Synopsis provided by GM here:

"Nalsheen (Paul) down to his last gold pieces signed up at the same army recruitment station. A dwarf name Laurel (or Loriel because she’s worth it) picked Nalsheen, a half ork and a tiefling to embark on a mission to investigate rumours of a drow encampment near South Ridge (where the cave is). They left a few hours after the other team dispatched to this location. When they arrived at South Ridge a weird magical disturbance was emanating from the mines. This had drawn in 4 large 7 foot ant like creatures called Ankhegs. 2 of them had made bee-line for Marcellus standing at a small, 5 foot entrance to a mysterious chamber. The other 2 scuttled out into the main town.

Forced into a tight space the Ankhegs were at a disadvantage when attempting to attack Marcellus, who was ready to strike the minute they pushed into the chamber. Matthias protected Marcellus with sanctuary, whilst Slade charged in both swords drawn. He managed to seriously injure the beast, but was seriously wounded in its lumbering counter attack. Makkno hurled fireballs into the creature and Marcellus struck it with his long sword nearly killing the creature.

Meanwhile in the town the creatures dashed to engage the nearby Captain Hayder allowing Nalsheen to slink into cover preparing an ambush.

Slade, seriously injured retreated from the beast firing off an arrow that bounced harmlessly off the creature’s hide. With a second Ankheg clambering through the entrance Matthias ran to support Marcellus. Together they managed to hold it at bay, whilst Makkno killed the beast that had forced its way in.

Outside Hayder charged into the two ankhegs missing with his fireball but mortally wounding the first in a flurry of blows. Nalsheen struck from the shadows finishing off the beast.

After managing to overcome the remaining beasts (and levelling up) the silver liquid became calm and the magical aura of the crystals returned.

Hayder lead Nalsheen into the mines where they discovered a newly unearthed burrow.

Upon reaching the chamber Hayder ordered the team to investigate the nearby drow settlement whilst he and Laurel secured this clearly valuable site.

The team began by investigating the secret passage discovered at the back of the chamber. After several minutes of squeezing through the narrow passage they came to a fork in the path. The right path smelled fresher so they ventured in this direction. They discovered an exit from the mountain range with a single lit torch. 

To their right was South Ridge and in the distance they could see a forest about a day’s travel away. They decided to conceal themselves in the mountains overlooking this entrance and wait to see if anyone came or went. 

After a few hours a dark elf mage and 2 soldiers emerged hurrying to the forest. The team stealthily followed but lost sight of them. Nalsheen tried to climb a tree. He failed, falling out and injuring himself. A bit flustered, he tried again. Clearly out of practice he slipped injuring himself further. Refusing to give up he finally managed to climb the tree. He spotted a number of broken trees and huge footprints in the forest, quickly identifying these as T-Rex prints. They followed a trail the drow had left which led them out the forest near to the coast. In the far distance was the large port city of Maspa.

They ventured back into the enchanted forest. Losing their bearings they stumbled upon a clearing with a small brook running down into a rocky hole.

In the distance the T-Rex could be seen scratching his head on a tree.

Despite some reservations raised by Matthias, the team rested briefly near the edge of the clearing.

They were interrupted when the head of the Tyrannosaur loomed through the trees. Nalsheen remembering the bard song, ‘park of the Jurassic’ lit a candle and threw it into the distance.

The T Rex distracted by the flying candle gave pursuit. 

The team ran and dived into the hole landing in a soggy pile of hay. They’d discovered a storage room with a fresh water inlet. They searched the room finding some rations and water. Marcellus tried to open the nearby door stealthily. He failed alerting the 2 D&D playing drow inside. They sprung into combat, but Matthias, smashed one into pieces with his magically imbued mace. Marcellus charged in, missing the drow with his first attack, but cutting his head clean off with the second. 

The noise alerted drow in the next room. Matthias ran into the nearby bunk room to deal with the surprised sleeping drow. After a brief fight they dispatched the drow.

Searching the mess hall, they discovered an ominous light looming out from an open door.

Makkno’s detect magic identified a necromantic presence.

Makkno, Nalsheen, and Slade snuck into the room where a drow mage was working on the corpse of a dark elf. They wasted no time in sneak attacking and knocking him unconscious. They tied him up and searched the room whilst he regained consciousness. There were multiple dead drow bodies in the room, an altar to the spider queen Lolth and a quarter staff in the corner that Matthias nabbed.

When the mage came to they started to question him about a mysterious black crystal he’d been carrying."

I'd day the experience is a bit too focused on combat right now but hopefully that's going to settle down.

A lot of "new" gm's don't realize that XP can be given for damn near everything that happens in game. There are even mechanics for giving 1xp per GP found (HORRIBLE mechanics by the way that rewards the players for being murder hobo's). Most think that the only way to progress is through combat, as thats the really obvious activity that makes people stronger.

wait, I just realized, are you guys playing Pathfinder, 5th ed, or an OSR deriviative?

8 minutes ago, Sennex said:

A lot of "new" gm's don't realize that XP can be given for damn near everything that happens in game. There are even mechanics for giving 1xp per GP found (HORRIBLE mechanics by the way that rewards the players for being murder hobo's). Most think that the only way to progress is through combat, as thats the really obvious activity that makes people stronger.

wait, I just realized, are you guys playing Pathfinder, 5th ed, or an OSR deriviative?

5th edition but I think there maybe a bit of deviation . I shared the link you gave me and they're  running with the 5 edition materials from there, but they had a very experienced player join this week and I suspect he has changed or added a few things...