Advanced Dungeons and Dragons

phil bottle

3 hours ago, phil bottle said:

PDF, can get the physical book but want to avoid having to photocopy pages to scan, lazy bugger that I am.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

So Original AD&D or OSR?

Luke 23:34
'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

Sorry, Original D&D but I've found it online so all cool[emoji106]

Wanna share the link mate? I've always been intrigued by what D&D brings but always worried my head would explode with all the rules.

36 minutes ago, GazzaGarratt said:
3 hours ago, phil bottle said:
Sorry, Original D&D but I've found it online so all coolemoji106.png

Wanna share the link mate? I've always been intrigued by what D&D brings but always worried my head would explode with all the rules.

Ah no need for Dropbox, it's the 4th edition we're using and you can get the player handbook here: http://cadwe.free.fr/cadr/DD4/Player's Handbook.pdf

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

1 hour ago, GazzaGarratt said:

If you're interested in D&D at all 5th edition is probably the best to look at if you're worried about being bogged down by rules. It was designed to be pretty streamlined and user friendly. I've started listening to a D&D podcast that started in 4th edition (they're now playing 5th) and after only one episode I can't imagine playing that version with my current group (we're pretty awful).

Bart provided me with an awesome resource, and the guys have decided to go for 5th edition.

I'm impressed so far, there's 5 guys other than me, and everyone has been creating back stories for their characters, some in quite a lot of depth.

Looking forward to it, and again, hats off to @Sennex :)

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

D&D get together tonight in the gaming bar. They have N64s with Goldeneye set up around the premises so I hope we're not distracted.
This lunchtime I'm looking at the four cantrips I can choose, plus the two Level 1 spells. Will probably do a mixture of healing and extreme murderous sorcery combat.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

yea mending can read as a great spell. In older versions it doesn't fix everything though, they may have changed it for 5th ed.

does Repair still exist as a spell? that might be a different game system, but i want to say there were 2 versions of mending

Not going to lie in all of my years of playing/ running (30 now, sadly), I have never had a player use it.

Prestidigitation is an amazing spell though, and one that is seriously OP for its level.

There are a ton of other threads out there on things you can do with the spell

'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

yea mending can read as a great spell. In older versions it doesn't fix everything though, they may have changed it for 5th ed.
does Repair still exist as a spell? that might be a different game system, but i want to say there were 2 versions of mending

Not going to lie in all of my years of playing/ running (30 now, sadly), I have never had a player use it.

Prestidigitation is an amazing spell though, and one that is seriously OP for its level.

There are a ton of other threads out there on things you can do with the spell

Thanks man, that's really useful. Repair is no longer a spell but based on your experience I may put Mending aside[emoji106]

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

It really comes down to the person that runs the game.

some things are honestly not worth tracking as a GM.

Item Damage and Encumbrance are the two main ones that spring to mind for me. I don't track them, and I never will. Games for me tend to be more about common sense. Players know damn well they cant loot every corpse on the field etc....

It really comes down to the person that runs the game.

some things are honestly not worth tracking as a GM.
Item Damage and Encumbrance are the two main ones that spring to mind for me. I don't track them, and I never will. Games for me tend to be more about common sense. Players know damn well they cant loot every corpse on the field etc....

More great advice, I'll pass that on to our GM as he - while capable - is fairly inexperienced.

You need to be living in London [emoji41]

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

50 minutes ago, phil bottle said:

More great advice, I'll pass that on to our GM as he - while capable - is fairly inexperienced.

You need to be living in London emoji41.png

hit me up privately if they need help.

I have been running tabletop games since the 90's, and I ran a massive LARP when I lived in Chicago. Multiple conventions as well. (Back when I played World of Darkness). A lot of beta testing and class writing over the years as well.

Worldbuilding is probably my favorite hobby to be honest. I am cooking up a Post-apoc style game right now for when this current Pathfinder game is over. The PA game will be sort of Fallout/ division, sort of Warhammer 40K, sort of steampunk. I started working on it about a year ago, hopefully I can be ready to run soon.

One day I will get to be a player again. 😥

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 4:43 PM, Sennex said:

hit me up privately if they need help.

I have been running tabletop games since the 90's, and I ran a massive LARP when I lived in Chicago. Multiple conventions as well. (Back when I played World of Darkness). A lot of beta testing and class writing over the years as well.

Worldbuilding is probably my favorite hobby to be honest. I am cooking up a Post-apoc style game right now for when this current Pathfinder game is over. The PA game will be sort of Fallout/ division, sort of Warhammer 40K, sort of steampunk. I started working on it about a year ago, hopefully I can be ready to run soon.

One day I will get to be a player again. 😥

Has anyone ever contributed to a D&D session via Skype? I wonder if that would be possible? You could join my new group as a player that way, if we were in a decent timezone. Maybe a weekend session sometime...

We have our 2nd meet tonight. The  first session went ok. I take these things quite seriously in terms of roleplay and don't have a lot of patience for silliness. Unless we end up playing Paranoia maybe. Silliness has a time and place.

The group is partly new to D&D and one of the guys was doing things that were not in the character or nature of his player character. Which he needs to cut out.

It was a good first night otherwise. I used Detect Magic to good effect at one point and which kind of made my night lol.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

I have run many games over skype, icq, web forum,  and a few other platforms. Personally I dislike them.

My wife plays very seriously, and as a GM I enjoy that. We have our silly moments, but they are few and far between. The games I have run for her are far more political intrigue and investigative, than combat.

Your experience with a new group is my experience with most all groups over the last several decades. Its hard finding a good group that isn't built up person by person to ensure a good fit.

I have run many games over skype, icq, web forum,  and a few other platforms. Personally I dislike them.

My wife plays very seriously, and as a GM I enjoy that. We have our silly moments, but they are few and far between. The games I have run for her are far more political intrigue and investigative, than combat.

Your experience with a new group is my experience with most all groups over the last several decades. Its hard finding a good group that isn't built up person by person to ensure a good fit.
I like how you approach it. Intrigue and investigation and discovery are where it's most enjoyable. Turn after turn of shooting off fireballs etc gets boring real fast.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

Especially with the power curve that is built into the game. Once a character hits between 8-12, there isn't a lot they can't do.

1 hour ago, Sennex said:

The games I have run for her are far more political intrigue and investigative, than combat.

That would be so goooood. I think the main GM for our group would like to more of that sort of stuff but the other two members of our group are very stabby and one of them doesn't always pay attention to whats going on.

1 hour ago, phil bottle said:

Turn after turn of shooting off fireballs etc gets boring real fast.

Agreed. It was a delight in the session I ran that took place in Candlekeep making our Fireball Queen use spells other than anything fire based. And no Misty Step either. There was lots of cursing.