Cyberpunk 2077 - Should it have Multiplayer?

Projekt Red confirmed it will be a single player at launch and primarily stick to that but they are open to PvP in game and is most likely to come at some point post launch. Was wondering what people thought about this?

For some reason, I imaging Cyberpunk to be a rival to GTA 6 or Red Dead Redemption 2 - open world, where you can come across other players on their missions or quests and you can dive in and help them. It seems to be put across there will be some linear storypoints even though there is character customisation. The Witcher 3 I know from you all that played it was a brilliant SP and maybe it was so good because it was only SP.

I'd just love Projekt Red to push themselves to make that all singing all dancing Open World game that could be developed for years, rather than a beautiful complete SP game that gets left behind after you have completed it in 3 months.

I hope the game remains as a single player experience where everything is crafted by hand and revolves solely around the story. The likes of EA and other AAA publishers may keep suggesting single player games are done with and they keep being proved wrong over and over and this game will likely maintain the trend.  I can't see this game going online - I think this was just a PR sweetener and if the game was to have MP elements; they would've been focused on that from the start and it would be a selling point. 

The online features in a lot of these open world games are quite pathetic anyway even especially on games as a service titles. I'd take a 100 hour game that's beautifully developed from the ground up and tells a compelling and engrossing story that lasts a couple of months over some online title with restrictive and shallow gameplay elements in the most generic way possible. 

17 hours ago, Sennex said:

Not every game needs multiplayer.

True. Which is what Witcher 3 was and why it was an amazing game.

However, Projekt Red as a company do need something that can keep relevant and sustainable with where the current market is going. I actually think it would be a real smart move to try and get a share of the MP market as I think their reputation alone could nab them a bunch of Rockstar players.

9 hours ago, GazzaGarratt said:

True. Which is what Witcher 3 was and why it was an amazing game.

However, Projekt Red as a company do need something that can keep relevant and sustainable with where the current market is going. I actually think it would be a real smart move to try and get a share of the MP market as I think their reputation alone could nab them a bunch of Rockstar players.

You're implying they are not relevant or sustainable. What are you basing this on? 

Luke 23:34
'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

You're implying they are not relevant or sustainable. What are you basing this on? 

Maybe 'need' was too strong a word - more that I see the market going one way atm and imo I think it would make great business sense if they went into that market, especially after working on a game for 6/7 years you'd think they'd want to have a game that can be relevant for a number of years to come.

you do realize that there are more single player games coming out, than multiplayer, right? As is the case every year.

Take a look at the video game awards for the last few years, out of like 20 (23 i think) categories, multiplayer only win in 3 on average. Best sports, Best Multiplayer, and Best Ongoing (Although this one changes every year)

Regardless of the above, CDPR has a multiplayer game called Gwent, its a card game based off of a game in Witcher 3. I expect something similar to that.

Luke 23:34
'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."