Official FIFA World Cup 2018 Thread

J4MES OX4D

Now that the dust has settled on last nights heroics; I'm so happy we beat those dirty cheats but I don't think our performance was all that great despite the difficult circumstances. Even though we're in the quarters, it's still very hard to gauge how good we really are but we've certainly gone further than many would've expected and still have a clear route through to the final. Ironically, if Columbia weren't cheating and playing so much anti-football, I think they may have won the game because we looked very flat at times and they grew into the contest as time wore on. They pressed us well throughout and we played some risky football and struggled to get out of our half with the ball under control.  We gave them too much space and didn't press enough which was why they scored in the last minute - our game management in the final 10 minutes certainly declined and the gaps began to appear. Thankfully we weathered the storm and actually got a greater foothold in the match in the second half of ET and could've won ourselves in normal time. 

I think Sweden will pose far less of a threat but I hope we aren't too tired physically and mentally. We may even need to rotate or plan to rest a couple of players because of the extra time we played on top of what was already an exhausting match. Ali still doesn't look 100%, Sterling tries too hard and his feet aren't in sync with his brain and Lingaard was a bit anonymous last night - changes may not be a bad idea even at this stage of the tournament afterall. I am a bit worried about Southgate's lack of tactical flexibility and our persistent shape though - it's great we stick to our guns regardless of the score but I'd like reassurance that we have a plan B or C too. We could've done with that in the final 10 minutes yesterday but we stuck it out and paid the price and it could've been worse. Regardless, it's been an incredible World Cup so far and we've done well to reach the quarters and I hope we can continue on what we've achieved so far. I feel more confident about the Sweden game than last night that's for sure! 

15 hours ago, GazzaGarratt said:

I told you I cried. Always, ALWAYS #Believe

I was the same when England won the World Cup in 1966...but I was 10...and it was in black and white

fa91d1c7-2525-4709-a13b-ae6fabba557e.jpg

Thanks to Capn_Underpants for the artwork

Now that the dust has settled on last nights heroics; I'm so happy we beat those dirty cheats but I don't think our performance was all that great despite the difficult circumstances. Even though we're in the quarters, it's still very hard to gauge how good we really are but we've certainly gone further than many would've expected and still have a clear route through to the final. Ironically, if Columbia weren't cheating and playing so much anti-football, I think they may have won the game because we looked very flat at times and they grew into the contest as time wore on. They pressed us well throughout and we played some risky football and struggled to get out of our half with the ball under control.  We gave them too much space and didn't press enough which was why they scored in the last minute - our game management in the final 10 minutes certainly declined and the gaps began to appear. Thankfully we weathered the storm and actually got a greater foothold in the match in the second half of ET and could've won ourselves in normal time. 

I think Sweden will pose far less of a threat but I hope we aren't too tired physically and mentally. We may even need to rotate or plan to rest a couple of players because of the extra time we played on top of what was already an exhausting match. Ali still doesn't look 100%, Sterling tries too hard and his feet aren't in sync with his brain and Lingaard was a bit anonymous last night - changes may not be a bad idea even at this stage of the tournament afterall. I am a bit worried about Southgate's lack of tactical flexibility and our persistent shape though - it's great we stick to our guns regardless of the score but I'd like reassurance that we have a plan B or C too. We could've done with that in the final 10 minutes yesterday but we stuck it out and paid the price and it could've been worse. Regardless, it's been an incredible World Cup so far and we've done well to reach the quarters and I hope we can continue on what we've achieved so far. I feel more confident about the Sweden game than last night that's for sure! 
Haven't got time now but wanted to say I agree and disagree with points here. Honestly, I think alot comes down to if you're a half-full or half-empty kind of guy.

Didn't expect to be that many half-empty people of late though.

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

44 minutes ago, GazzaGarratt said:

Haven't got time now but wanted to say I agree and disagree with points here. Honestly, I think alot comes down to if you're a half-full or half-empty kind of guy.

Didn't expect to be that many half-empty people of late though.

I have to view it as balanced as possible because although we are a young and inexperienced side at international level; these are still footballers who take home over £100,000 a week each and they all play for top Premier League sides.  They are open to the same level of scrutiny as any other team I feel and going over the negatives and keeping our feet on the ground is important and that doesn't take away anything that we've achieved.

The tables have now turned - we went into this tournament with minimum expectations and have already exceeded them but with the fortunate circumstances that have arisen from big teams going out and favorable draws; we now have a once in a generation opportunity of reaching the final and that has to be the focus now. We definitely need to turn in a better display against Sweden and not reaching the semi-finals at the very least would be a huge disappointment now.  

This could be the one and only chance of us winning the World Cup in my lifetime and I'd hate to see us bow out to complacency or something basic because we were still too gobsmacked about progressing to the Quarters that we lost focus. I'm certainly in the England expects camp more than the England accepts now🙂

I actually thought we played really well at times (first half and second part of extra time we were way better than Columbia). Only real downside was certain players let the antics get to them, and they just need to calm down and not rise to it.

Im still worried we arse about with it at the back too much for my liking but that was the best performance I’ve seen from England in ages as Columbia are credible opposition and I was delighted with how we bossed them for large parts of the game.

I have to view it as balanced as possible because although we are a young and inexperienced side at international level; these are still footballers who take home over £100,000 a week each and they all play for top Premier League sides.  They are open to the same level of scrutiny as any other team I feel and going over the negatives and keeping our feet on the ground is important and that doesn't take away anything that we've achieved.

The tables have now turned - we went into this tournament with minimum expectations and have already exceeded them but with the fortunate circumstances that have arisen from big teams going out and favorable draws; we now have a once in a generation opportunity of reaching the final and that has to be the focus now. We definitely need to turn in a better display against Sweden and not reaching the semi-finals at the very least would be a huge disappointment now.  

This could be the one and only chance of us winning the World Cup in my lifetime and I'd hate to see us bow out to complacency or something basic because we were still too gobsmacked about progressing to the Quarters that we lost focus. I'm certainly in the England expects camp more than the England accepts now[emoji846]
So, I feel I'm objective when I review a game for England - I also appreciate I'm extremely passionate and a half-full kinda guy, just with realism overlaid.

Misconceptions of how we play spring to mind. Playing the ball backwards and sideways at the back and midfield isn't negative, they were waiting for the right moment. We always used to bang on about hoofing the ball up was crap and we never had control of the ball. This is just now the New England style and we have to get used to it, appreciates it takes time to though.

Imo, we did play Plan B or 1A on how you see it. We passed and controlled the game like usual but would allow Kane and Sterling to drop deep, collect the ball in the vain it would create a gap. So many attacks last night from us came within a few seconds from the back, 3-5 passes and we were creating a chance.

We never looked in trouble until the last 5ish minutes but expected as they had to chase the game. Also, playing the passing way we did, you have to appreciate we may make mistakes. I'd rather that than chase the game and hoof the ball. To my knowledge one big mistake from Kyle Walker in the whole game. Solid, great performance.

They ooze confidence and patience for me. You can't beat teams 12-0 each week and as for how bad Columbia are, you can only beat whos ahead of you. I actually think the way we set up slowed their play down and we effectively made them look poor. That's testament to that structured, well drilled team.

Put in to perspective - First knockout game won in 12 years. First ever World Cup Penalty shootout won. In the last 8 in the world. 9 goals scored. We are just not used to this.

So whilst I'm absolutely behind them to bring it home, I'm a realist and Sweden is going to be tough - remember we haven't beat Sweden in many years too. So if we go out, it'll still be a great tournament. You can see the players absolutely play for those 3 lions on their shirt. There's no doubt about it. And playing great football.

But we won't lose. I believe in them. And something I contemplated before the tournament is 90 minutes away from reality - can you ever remember saying realistically 'can you imagine England in the Semi-Finals of the World Cup?'

Now I can.

At this stage England have achieved the target Southgate was set by the FA on appointment: get out of the group and win a knockout game. This was set before the WC draw, you can only beat the opposition your drawn against and that has been done.

Having said that, as James pointed out, this is a golden opportunity to go as far as possible in the knowledge that in 2020 we will have to show a quantum level improvement with this squad as Germany, Spain and a few others will be back with a vengence. The Germans have been humilated and that’s when they are at their most dangerous. Italy and the Netherlands will definitely be looking to improve having not even qualified.

I’m looking forward to seeing how far we can get, but also I’m excited about how much potential  this group has, as well as the lower age squads.

I’m also very happy about the lack of big time Charlies in the squad!

fa91d1c7-2525-4709-a13b-ae6fabba557e.jpg

Thanks to Capn_Underpants for the artwork

2 hours ago, Plumbers Crack said:

At this stage England have achieved the target Southgate was set by the FA on appointment: get out of the group and win a knockout game. This was set before the WC draw, you can only beat the opposition your drawn against and that has been done.

Having said that, as James pointed out, this is a golden opportunity to go as far as possible in the knowledge that in 2020 we will have to show a quantum level improvement with this squad as Germany, Spain and a few others will be back with a vengence. The Germans have been humilated and that’s when they are at their most dangerous. Italy and the Netherlands will definitely be looking to improve having not even qualified.

I’m looking forward to seeing how far we can get, but also I’m excited about how much potential  this group has, as well as the lower age squads.

I’m also very happy about the lack of big time Charlies in the squad!

I'm excited too but you've partly hit the nail on the head. You expect more already from them in 2020. By then it could be another 4 years that we haven't won a world cup (i said could 😛).

I just hope for positive realism - do their best and be happy with them giving it their all. We all want them to win every year but it is unrealistic and consequently unfair to hammer them if they don't win it.

Ultimately, I'd vote to follow how Germany look after their managers. Southgate should be manager for a decade imo. I don't like the naive attitude that says you're only good as your last game.

2 hours ago, GazzaGarratt said:

Misconceptions of how we play spring to mind. Playing the ball backwards and sideways at the back and midfield isn't negative, they were waiting for the right moment. We always used to bang on about hoofing the ball up was crap and we never had control of the ball. This is just now the New England style and we have to get used to it, appreciates it takes time to though.

Last night it was risky because Columbia were pressing high particularly on with widths and we nearly got caught out on three occasions. The more we did this; the higher they played up the field and the more our wing-backs were drawn back. This was only stopped when we went more direct in the second half of ET down the middle - we started creating chances and looked dangerous again exploiting the space available. Cudrado and Quintero were pressing Walker and Maguire the moment the ball left Pickford's foot and Barios and Lerma persistently shut down the wings yet it took until the 110th minute for us to instead go down the gaping middle which brought Rashford, Sterling and Vardy right into the game where we could've won it prior to penalties.  The passing game is fine if played unpredictably and not at a pedestrian pace for large periods.  We wouldn't have got away with a lot of that last night if Rodriguez was playing IMO. 

We never looked in trouble until the last 5ish minutes but expected as they had to chase the game

I'd say the last 10 minutes excluding injury time we began to get sloppy. Our game management was clear - run down the clock with the ball however without the ball we gifted too much space which lead to the shot which lead to the corner which lead to the equaliser. One slip is all it takes and it had been coming in that period. We put ourselves so much on the backfoot in those closing stages that the first half of ET we couldn't even get out of our half with the ball under control. It was a sucker-punch to concede but if you're going to close out a game in that fashion, you have to see it out across the board.  

So whilst I'm absolutely behind them to bring it home, I'm a realist and Sweden is going to be tough - remember we haven't beat Sweden in many years too.

We beat Sweden in 2012 and they are a shadow of their former selves now so it's a fixture we should be winning. I don't think they'll pose a threat like Columbia but we must ensure we are on the front foot and take the game to them.  We have the players but we need the mentality and the gameplan to see it through. You cannot play the same way and expect to get away with it at this level so these stages will be a true test of our tactical flexibility. I do think our current plan is tailored more towards facing European teams though.

can you ever remember saying realistically 'can you imagine England in the Semi-Finals of the World Cup?'

1990😎 

We've done so well but the stakes are raised now and we've just got to get behind the lads again and see them through but make no mistake; the expectation is back especially with all the factors going our way.  If we go out I will still be pleased with the lads but we wont ever get an opportunity this generous again. 

1990[emoji41] 

We've done so well but the stakes are raised now and we've just got to get behind the lads again and see them through but make no mistake; the expectation is back especially with all the factors going our way.  If we go out I will still be pleased with the lads but we wont ever get an opportunity this generous again. 
I'll agree to disagree on how the game panned out. I just haven't got the time to find the statistics and rewatch the game but I for sure didn't see or feel that threat from Columbia at all until 80ish minutes gone. We contained them and got through more than what you say imo.

We're coming from the same place so I do hear your points. I agree, we should beat Sweden and it feels like this is the highest %age chance of going all the way. Until the next time though and we'll say it all again [emoji6]

And exactly my point with 1990 [emoji41]. 28 years ago. That is exactly why last night's result meant alot to me personally.

As Terry Butcher said on 5 Live, it wasn't redemption, but more felt like we were cleansed.

Btw, it's great to actually talk about the exciting and potential side of England in a positive light.

Most of the coverage here, the US, is done.

So I need some help form you all. My kid is having a rough week for a few reasons, and i am trying to help him out. What games are absolute must watches? Whatever you guys list here i will find from somewhere and get them for him to watch over the next few days

Luke 23:34
'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

28 minutes ago, Sennex said:

Most of the coverage here, the US, is done.

So I need some help form you all. My kid is having a rough week for a few reasons, and i am trying to help him out. What games are absolute must watches? Whatever you guys list here i will find from somewhere and get them for him to watch over the next few days

Do you mean which games left to watch live or watch post-live? Cos if its out of what is left I would suspect all the games are going to be a great watch. There's literally only 7 games to go in the tournament now.

Argentina vs France was an epic game in the previous round and Croatia vs Denmark come to think of it. The latter goes into Extra Time so a long game to watch.

21 hours ago, GazzaGarratt said:

Do we think England will play the same side Saturday?

Any changes would probably be virtue of fitness and fatigue so it mostly depends on that. We could probably bring some fresh legs in and it wouldn't affect our overall quality. Danny Rose would be ideal for a game like this and Rashford could start over Sterling.