Official FIFA World Cup 2018 Thread

J4MES OX4D

Belgium = Reality Check
Nope, sorry Dave. I think we look so calm on the ball and for a team that's had 8 changes, it's refreshing to watch a game with no sicky feeling that they're gonna fuck up.

Some random chances that I appreciate on paper looked better than our couple of chances, doesn't make them a better side to watch.

#believe

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

Um, I reckon the Belgiums, whose odds with the bookies must be tumbling, will win this one without too much problem.

I think the only think stopping them winning the whole tournament is a lack of bottle 

fa91d1c7-2525-4709-a13b-ae6fabba557e.jpg

Thanks to Capn_Underpants for the artwork

Trying to be objective here, I have to admit I was disappointed at the slight under 100% effort given after the goal went in.

I imagine its extremely hard to make a game happen when you make so many changes. I can only go by what I felt and seen and it didn't really feel like we were in trouble but I also appreciate we didn't make a huge amount of chances.

Its a game of fine detail - Rashford scoring his chance we'd wouldn't be so despondent. Unfortunately, what I know I struggle with is the naivity and simplistic nature of alot of fans and pundits.

Whenever England don't win we effectively are the worst on the planet. Its not realistic not fair. We've got a lot to be positive about against Columbia.

Very poor performance overall. Loftus-Cheek looked like the only one who was really trying. That was almost a Belgium 3rd string team with players I forgot even existed -Januzaj couldn't even score for Sunderland, Vermaelen hasn't been fit since 1999 and probably needs a leg transplant, Hazard shone and he's not a fraction as talented as his brother and the rest of the team weren't really trying and we were still soundly beaten. We will have egg on our face if we lose to Columbia and they are a good side plus very well-supported in Russia. 

I'm still satisfied with second and a potentially easier run-in but at the same time I am annoyed at the overall performance and I wouldn't trust any of those players to bolster the first team if needed. Tonight also exposed how dodgy Pickford can be when finally called into action after two piss easy games. Our record in knock-out rounds is tragic - we've only beaten Denmark and Ecuador off the top of my head in recent memory and Columbia will be a very hard fixture so we'll need our first team in top form for that one. No more Panama and Belgium reserves now. 

11 minutes ago, J4MES OX4D said:

... we were still soundly beaten.

Sorry but I can't have that. A bit of realism is required alongside the actual stats of the game.

Stats wise we're pretty similar on possession (48:52) and shots (13:15) and others were on par. They had better chances but felt we controlled overall play without getting excited about much.

The realism should be that we haven't won a knockout tournament game in 12 years. We can be positive that we have played well in 2 games and was beaten by a slightly better side in 1.

For once it would be amazing to see that we are just happy to get this far and we will give it our best shot against Columbia and have a very good chance, not forgetting if we go out that we've still had a solid and great tournament.

I've realised as we get older, the negativeness and criticality of ourselves just gets boring. Let the young lions just play.

I agree it was a close match and given it was two second teams it’s probably irrelevant anyway. It was just funny the way Martinez has made it clear all week he was playing for second and yet they still beat us . 

Finishing second is a blessing , even if Columbia beat us, as it’s still the easier side of the draw, so a good place to be.

I’m still hopeful we can go far in this. Truth is nobody is really looking that good, at least yet, so our first team would have a chance against any of them. We’ve played well going forward, better than most, although defensively i cringe every time we play about with it too deep. I think that will eventually prove costly.

1 hour ago, Baabcat said:

We’ve played well going forward, better than most, although defensively i cringe every time we play about with it too deep. I think that will eventually prove costly.

What's weird is, for me, this is the first time in years I've watched England and in all 3 matches I've been so relaxed when we've either had to defend or play the ball out from the back.

It's ace to see they trust themselves with the ball. I think Pickford only kicked it long a few times last night. I feel quietly confident still.

Last night's game was a about looking at the peripheral squad players.

None really staked a valid claim.

Danny Rose was on course for a first team spot until he got himself embarrassed.

Commentators are drivng me nuts, it's either spunking off cos we're great or shedding blood cos we're shit. Cobblers.

Other than that, no injury or disciplinary issues ahead of the knockout stages, bring it on.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

That was an incredible game! France may have scored 4 goals but there were times where they were anonymous and on the backfoot. If Argentina were better managed; it could've been a very different story. Just goes to show though with the likes of Mbappe and co; they will punish any lapses and can turn a game on its head in minutes. Argentina's gameplan was all wrong as the line-up was questionable but they delivered a honorable performance under the circumstances and scoring 3 goals you'd expect them to be on the winning side. Should've started with Higuain and Aguero with Messi behind really.

France have finally delivered a result that reflects their capabilities on paper and that side of the draw should be worried. A better organised team like Belgium or Uruguay wouldn't have allowed a lot of that to happen today especially in the midfield but the scoreline certainly was a statement of their potential and I'd dread to face them in the next round. Another very enjoyable game though and a few fine goals to boot.

Hopefully Ronaldo will be out to tonight. Uruguay have a 100% record and have conceded no goals...

44 minutes ago, J4MES OX4D said:

That was an incredible game! France may have scored 4 goals but there were times where they were anonymous and on the backfoot. If Argentina were better managed; it could've been a very different story. Just goes to show though with the likes of Mbappe and co; they will punish any lapses and can turn a game on its head in minutes. Argentina's gameplan was all wrong as the line-up was questionable but they delivered a honorable performance under the circumstances and scoring 3 goals you'd expect them to be on the winning side. Should've started with Higuain and Aguero with Messi behind really.

France have finally delivered a result that reflects their capabilities on paper and that side of the draw should be worried. A better organised team like Belgium or Uruguay wouldn't have allowed a lot of that to happen today especially in the midfield but the scoreline certainly was a statement of their potential and I'd dread to face them in the next round. Another very enjoyable game though and a few fine goals to boot.

Hopefully Ronaldo will be out to tonight. Uruguay have a 100% record and have conceded no goals...

^ Absolutely everything he said 👍 ^

That was a good battle! Portugal actually played quite well but Uruguay were absolutely solid at the back aside from the goal. Ronaldo had a very tough time out there but once you fall behind against a team like that; it's very hard to get back level again. Cavani and Suarez were deadly when needed and although they don't have much of a threat elsewhere going forward. Portugal essentially got beaten at their own game but at least they were more convincing from the off and were perhaps unlucky not to take the game into extra time which I think they may have won if it was level at the 90 overall. 

Superb games today! Pretty difficult to support any of the 4 teams but at least they all gave us a show. Some fantastic goals - Cavani's second was a dream of a goal. If you're a striker, those ones are the best as you role away knowing its hitting the net.

I wonder if Cavani is going to be injured for the next game? Gamebreaker if so.

I bloody love penalties.....that England aren't involved in😎

Spain deserved to lose for failing to break Russia down despite seeing so much of the ball - they were too negative in the final 3rd and either passed too much or overplayed every move. 

It's all setting up for a Japan v England final😁

See if you can spot Gary’s friend in the Danish squad.....

Denmark World Cup Squad

Final 23-man squad – 

GOALKEEPERS: Kasper Schmeichel (Leicester), Frederik Ronnow (Brondby), Jonas Lossl (Huddersfield).

Defenders: Simon Kjaer (Sevilla), Mathias Jorgensen (Huddersfield), Andreas Christensen (Chelsea), Henrik Dalsgaard (Brentford), Jannik Vestergaard (Borussia Monchengladbach), Jens Stryger Larsen (Udinese), Jonas Knudsen (Ipswich).

Midfielders: Christian Eriksen (Tottenham), Lasse Schone (Ajax), Michael Krohn-Dehli (Deportivo La Coruna), Thomas Delaney (Werder Bremen), William Kvist (FC Copenhagen), Lukas Lerager (Bordeaux).

Forwards: Andreas Cornelius (Atalanta), Kasper Dolberg (Ajax), Martin Braithwaite (Bordeaux), Nicolai Jorgensen (Feyenoord), Pione Sisto (Celta Vigo), Viktor Fischer (FC Copenhagen), Yussuf Poulsen (RB Leipzig)

Clue: He’s a forward. 😂😂