Gambit Mode

Sennex

6 minutes ago, NCA-Paendrag said:

Not sold on Gambit yet tbh. 

He was, arguably, the most charismatic xmen, not sure why you wont be sold on him.

Luke 23:34
'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

I am probably more excited about this than any other news coming out of E3 Destiny. I loved PoE. Then you add the PvP side of it into the mix and it’s a pure win. It’s something fresh and different. 

A Bungie developer release abit more information on the variance of this activity as people are waiting to hear if it will have longevity.

4 maps
3 races per map
3 Variations of each race on each map
= 36 Gambit Experiences.

He also indicated that we potentially will get more variations with updates in Year 2 as part of the Roadmap.

I think this is a really good starting point. What it also doesn't consider is how you will need to adapt your playstyle depending on how the other team performs. You can plan ahead on how to attack e.g. build up for Large Blockers, but can't do much preparation for defence.

I'm super excited for this game mode. Here's hoping the loot will be just as good as the game mode.

From reading the TWAB a bit today they've confirmed there will be a progression rank called Infamy.

It's very similar to the Crucible Quickplay Valor rank where participation gets you points but wins get you more.

There's 6 ranks at the highest level but theyve talked ranks within the middle ones.

Interestingly we'll get bounties that we can pick up to help Infamy progression. I like that idea.

Anything that helps the longevity of this game mode I'm all for it. That has been my main concern for this new game mode. I really want the hype to be backed up by hours of gameplay.

6 hours ago, Jason said:

I read they have gambit specific loot as well. 

Yeah there is and some really good exotics tied to it as well. Expect to see some long quests tied to them.

On 8/17/2018 at 1:57 PM, Jason said:

I read they have gambit specific loot as well. 

Some on reddit found the gear via datamining. Got some pics below which i'll put in a Spoiler for others:

Titan Armour

Spoiler

L1AiH0t.png

Warlock Armour

Spoiler

P64dSpH.png

This won't be available from Collections just like all Year 2 gear isn't but shpuld have decent random rolls to get.

So were a few days in and I must admit, this is the best mode since Search and Destroy that I am absolutely loving. Lots of variation - more than I thought there would be actually.

The 4 maps are very well made. I think most will not like the Hive one as there's so many holes in the ground.

Out of the 5 enemies that can spawn, they all have little differences each time. Vex for are the hardest because Hydras have a delayed explosion when you pick up motes and Fanatics blow up leaving a damage circle around their dead body.

Getting used to the common 3 spots where enemies spawn in are a must. It just helps which way to turn quicker and find your way to more motes.

Invading is hilariously good fun. I've used Sleeper a lot because its the weapon that we know currently is OHK but Supers, Rocket Launchers and Snipers are pretty much just as important. There are many viable options. Out of the supers, Titan thundercrash and Hunter Golden Gun are a massive help.

As for the boss, the main tip so far is kill ads around it first as it keeps it protected. Over time it is easier to kill so a co-orientated push for DPS with supers and heavy works well. Equally when an Invader comes in, calling out where they are massively helps. One or two people designated invader killers helps also.

There's so many times that the game can sway either way even if you're seriously behind by keeping the team at bay I can see it has quite a lot of longevity. Remember, we'll only get more stuff added in coming months.

Love. This. Mode.

And don't forget, DEATH HEALS PRIMEVAL.

So @crispymorgan, @Misneach_,  @Stretch616 and myself had a number of games last night and here's some of the takeaway from it.

Sleeper

We had a great little debate online as to whether or not it breaks Gambit. I'm on the fence on this as its early doors and we haven't learned it all. I can definitely agree however something needs tweaking as it can be a game decider more often than not due to the damage output on the boss and OHK on the other team. Nerfing it is out of the question. It is an exotic, it should feel OP. Either other guns get buffed or/and do something to highlight a sleeper is on the playing field. They have strong evidence buffing other stuff to keep up is the right way to go. Equally many others have found ways to win without it.

Banking and Mote Collection

@Stretch616 decided to focus solely on killing ads. Then simple comms between us 3 to leave specific motes on the ground worked well. The onus is on the mote collector saying "need one more". Then others can call out they've left some.

Invading

Sticking to one main invader and a deputy works really well. Defined roles that takes seconds before a match just calms down your play. I was main invader but then when i was low on heavy ammo and no super I'd call out to @crispymorgan to take his super over to the other side. Also, timing when to use the portal should only really be used when the opposition are holding motes that haven't been banked. Going in straight after a blocker also helps as you know they are distracted.

Teamwork

Stick to the task at hand and don't be overthrown by emotion. We won some games comfortably but once we had a a better team it can throw your judgement. We had a few calls of "sod it, I'm going over to get that guy". That's when things can start to fall apart. Not always but alot of the time it does because your team structure is all over the place then.

Primeval

Focus on ads first. They will protect and slow down DPS on Primeval. Stack supers and heavy for this stage. Its a race against and can become hectic! If an invader comes in, unless you are just about to kill it, all of you should have a quick check for the Invader. Its essential so you minimise deaths.

Ultimately its a great gamemode that will be thoroughly rewarding when you win and at times frustrsting to lose games that flip the other way so late in the game. More to learn I'm sure and hope this helps some of you.

The speed that the other team took down the primevil was astounding. Like maybe 5 or 10 seconds. There were certainly lots of sleepers being used. If we all had sleepers, then invasion would have been pointless. As it was we had our primevil early doors but they kept disrupting. Still a lot of learning to do regarding super choice and use of. Great when it works, shit when it doesn't.

Via the FG App

20 hours ago, crispymorgan said:

I shall also buy a monkeybike......

Quick way to take down the Prime Evil is a Titan with Meltimg point. Clear the Taken wizards first as this gives you extra damage on the Prime Evil. Melting Point the PE and shotgun him. Especially if you have the EP shotgun. Use supers on him and it will be gone in like 30 seconds 

I felt the bow worked pretty well this morning, at least against the other team. Two invasions and I took out 5 people. Couple OHK too. 

Albeit the other team was pretty shit. Took them out as they were busy with the Primeval or something. 

5 hours ago, crispymorgan said:

The speed that the other team took down the primevil was astounding. Like maybe 5 or 10 seconds. There were certainly lots of sleepers being used. If we all had sleepers, then invasion would have been pointless. As it was we had our primevil early doors but they kept disrupting. Still a lot of learning to do regarding super choice and use of. Great when it works, shit when it doesn't.

Via the FG App

I don't believe they all did. In fact they concentrated on killing their ads and must've stacked all tehir damage up in one go. Equally, the longer the game goes on the easier it is to kill the Primeval so we just took too long to get our ads and then they respawned.

5 hours ago, TigerBurge said:

Quick way to take down the Prime Evil is a Titan with Meltimg point. Clear the Taken wizards first as this gives you extra damage on the Prime Evil. Melting Point the PE and shotgun him. Especially if you have the EP shotgun. Use supers on him and it will be gone in like 30 seconds 

Exactly. However I haven't used Melting Point at all so may do that next time. Nice point.

3 hours ago, Baabcat said:

Timing on going through the portal is key. So many times I see people invade just as we get a primevil, much better idea is to wait til some damage has been done and then try and get some kills 

That is something that many don't look at so good one Bob. However, you could also look at it as if you go over straight away and start killing it can upset their rythmn - it happened to us last night.

2 hours ago, NCA-Paendrag said:

I felt the bow worked pretty well this morning, at least against the other team. Two invasions and I took out 5 people. Couple OHK too. 

Albeit the other team was pretty shit. Took them out as they were busy with the Primeval or something. 

Nice! @crispymorgan will be happy! OHK sounds promising.

2 minutes ago, The3rdWalker said:

The Gambit primary sniper, Dreaded Venture, is a monster. 

Not seen that one drop yet! Did you get it? I've only received Energy Gambit guns so far. Trust is a very smart Hand Cannon.

16 hours ago, GazzaGarratt said:

Not seen that one drop yet! Did you get it? I've only received Energy Gambit guns so far. Trust is a very smart Hand Cannon.

Yes, I've gotten a lot of Gambit pieces as of yet. Not the best perks but still some solid guns- the rocket launcher is shit. 

i7 7700k, 16GB RAM, GEFORCE 1080, 240GB SSHD, 2TB SSD

I managed to get full Gambit armour last night. The legs seem to drop last and I was about Infamy Rank 7 at the time.

Then did the full Gambit armour quest to win one game and dropped a powerful Gambit Pulse Rifle, Bygones (the one on sale for Infamy Rank 12 but mine has random rolls). It really is a solid gun and deadly accurate.

I agree with Rob that most Gambit guns will be really useful and favoured by many.

2 hours ago, GazzaGarratt said:

I managed to get full Gambit armour last night. The legs seem to drop last and I was about Infamy Rank 7 at the time.

Then did the full Gambit armour quest to win one game and dropped a powerful Gambit Pulse Rifle, Bygones (the one on sale for Infamy Rank 12 but mine has random rolls). It really is a solid gun and deadly accurate.

I agree with Rob that most Gambit guns will be really useful and favoured by many.

I’ve got 4 sets of arms!!!!! Nothing else (except 2 Trusts!)