Party Chat/Meet Up Issues

Hey all, it's been brought to my attention that not everyone was informed about the GTA party splitting up last Friday. To everyone who was effected by, apologies, we're all normally pretty good at letting everyone know what's going on. 

Ways Around It:

- Keep everything the same and make sure everyone's on the same page

- Two party chats, to make it easy to contact each other. We'll still use game chat.

- Use Discord

Personally i think we should use Discord, then this will never happen. 

I tried to make a poll but it's not liking me today for some reason?

The quickest thing to do is 2 party chats which I like the idea. Discord helps getting hold of people instantly too. Atvthevend of the day though, if the regular FGers are not attempting to use Discord I suggest start at party chat until theyvwork Discord out (although there really isn't anything to work out).

Unless you want me to look into shoutbox, or whatever it was called again?

8 hours ago, GazzaGarratt said:

if the regular FGers are not attempting to use Discord I suggest start at party chat until theyvwork Discord out (although there really isn't anything to work out).

Except some of the regulars don’t use it. 

1 hour ago, TigerBurge said:

Except some of the regulars don’t use it. 

Gotta lead by example on this one. The 5 man group plays every day, didn't like the PC Discord vs Console Party Chat/ Forum mentality and stick strictly to a group message or specifically targeted discords for all the needs.

We're not getting those guys to post on the forums, I know it for a fact and I won't push them to do so.

Heck, even our regulars here have the same top 4 posters monthly, weekly, etc. 

A shout box would be neat, but to be fair I doubt I personally would check it. Discord will always be instant because it's the primary VOIP of most PC gamers. 

i7 7700k, 16GB RAM, GEFORCE 1080, 240GB SSHD, 2TB SSD

Here's the deal.

I want to make it clear when I took over FG I was pretty disheartened by how people use other formats and ignore the website. It took a long time to engagement back to a steady state but also I had time to learn over the months and years that if we want FG to be fun and engaging then we have to accept all formats of FG. That includes Discord, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, etc.

At the same token, if you look at any family or community they will always have a base where you come and then branch out to other sections, acknowledging not all will go to every section. However, the reason we keep the Hub at the website is that we are far more than a forum. there is so much on here than anywhere else and because we're relatively small due to active users (people who post) you feel the quietness a little more than say reddit.

Rob, I agreed with you initially that people who care most about FG should be on both. But equally the most active Discord users can't get pissy when we share stuff on FG and ask nicely to give their view. It goes both ways and at the size we are we know we probably ask people to help the FG cause a little more.

Theres enough examples out there to show that places like Reddit (a forum) can work together with all the other channels of contact. But remember, this is more than a forum.

We must remember this is how we met and this is why I keep this going. What I need people to get off their high horses on both fucking sides (regular members and new ones) stop being so god damn lazy and help the FG cause, if they truly care about FG. This place is bigger than any one person, including me.

End.

P.S. This isn't like me but I care more than anyone to keep FG going. If you did you will understand where I'm coming from is a positive place.

23 minutes ago, GazzaGarratt said:

Rob, I agreed with you initially that people who care most about FG should be on both. But equally the most active Discord users can't get pissy when we share stuff on FG and ask nicely to give their view. It goes both ways and at the size we are we know we probably ask people to help the FG cause a little more.

Your biggest mistake was in the private chat section where you said the PC players need to do more in general on the forums, where as the console, other players do not need to show the same level of interaction I 100% know this rubbed them the wrong way as it set a them vs us right there. There was a time when they did post, however the other people on PS4 did not and the frequency (I'm not certain what goes on behind closed doors there I would hope you tell them all as well to be regular here.) lead them to believe their efforts would not be reciprocated. You said 'This is the point! Whatsapp kills the forums side of things. So does discord.' Discord doesn't, or won't kill the forums. You cannot find things reliably in discord, old search topics or the like so the forums wins in that category. The problem is spontaneous gaming events just do not work on the forums. You never see it in real time or fast enough to actually bring people together. We played regular with Crispy, the others and then it all just randomly stopped because no one kept playing PC games. We set up Gary's mod nights, the mine-craft server even started with PC and Bart and it just all went the way of the dodo after one week. 

It is more than a forum, but, to them it was made to look like life is only the forum. 

I'm not going to fault them if they felt some efforts were not reciprocated. I'm a member of this community and I will always support it the best ways I can. However There are a lot of games I play that no one else does and I have to go with the people I am playing with regularly. I still adore this place for game discussion. 

I made that point clear to regular website users and whatsapp users. I actually did more when I left a group called FG on whatsapp. The problem always comes when instant chat services get full with really useful game and life chat that is more suited to the website.

My point to probably clearer (which I'll make clear to the 3/4 regular Discord users) is I want everyone to use the services we have as a community and I will ask active users of all places to use everything. I dont want to encourage as much as I have to but at the end of the day we are too small right now and we need support until a day comes that naturally people come to all angles and enjoy FG for what it is. At the end of the day if people want this place to be awesome most of us need to help push this place a little more.

I know you're with the vision of FG Rob, my words come from positive places as sometimes we all need a kick up the arse to help around here. I have to be clear to everyone at FG.

11 minutes ago, Shucker said:

Isn't the issue "what's the best way to support the community who are trying to play together?" If this is strictly a social club, then 100% forum makes sense. If it's a social blub of gamers who are trying to play a game and can't communicate or get together on game night right when it's happening (or falling apart), then surely you need to find the best tool to help them do that... be it PSN chat, Discord, or Shoutbox...?

We're about it all Shucker, we really are a family of people, closer than possibly your IRL friends and we've wanted others to come and experience this with us.

I think everywhere should be as active as each other as, because as you say, there are tools for everything we all need.

For instant chat, quickly grabbing a team together and banter you don't want to be found exclusively on the web its an instant chat service, so Discord is your best bet.

For all really useful info on stats and news, opinions on games and real life stuff I believe the website is the key place as its easier to filter and read through it. I've been keen om developing this further e.g. stats pages for FGers, blogs, etc but I need development help with that. As you can see theres way more here as well e.g. quizzes, videos, etc, but as most don't see it if you don't look around it can be easily missed.

This place is for everyone and it can be what everyone wants it to be if they ask and help where they can. God, i want people to be involved more in Feel Good Forever Gaming Fund but if I dont know them how can we help?

The funny thing of this convo is it only stemmed from a little hiccup where people just forgot to say I'm hopping to a different game. That stuff can happen from time to time 😂

Discord is a pain in the arse because it requires a separate device and not everyone has a headset with multiple inputs to switch between game or chat, many have USB only which is either PC or PS4, not both.

We really need some kind of system where everyone can talk to each other 24/7, maybe something on our mobile phones, which is free, available worldwide, which you can use to message anyone at any time. You should also be able to make groups so people with different interests can arrange parties and stuff. Can anyone think of something like this?

(also, why is this a sticky?)

banlol.png

The Old Codgers Group (the older FGers) use WhatsApp for all our chats, not just gaming, really handy when you’re doing a meet up (having our fourth in September) and absolutely hilarious when you find out Mazz’s phone Bluetooth links to the ICE system and reads out the posts!!…Love You Garrryyyyy!! 😂😂😂

fa91d1c7-2525-4709-a13b-ae6fabba557e.jpg

Thanks to Capn_Underpants for the artwork

10 hours ago, Diddums said:

We really need some kind of system where everyone can talk to each other 24/7, maybe something on our mobile phones, which is free, available worldwide, which you can use to message anyone at any time. You should also be able to make groups so people with different interests can arrange parties and stuff. Can anyone think of something like this?

Like Discord.

This isn't an issue for me like i said ages ago.

Whatsapp and Discord do the same thing. Both chat services.

Whatsapp for random crap non-pc stuff I get it. We're a gaming family. We need to use all latest social stuff to reach out to FGers not usually active here. Not just Discord. FB, Insta, the lot.

Also. Totally get:

Console chat - PS4 Party Chat or in-game chat

PC chat - Discord

Either way, if we want FG to grow we need to support the largest growing chat service for gamers.

What I would say that helps the website is Discord has a plugin that we can share 'automatically' threads, videos, events, live streams, etc. So you get notifications. If whatsapp had a plugin I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Last point. I won't ever stop people using whatsapp or discord or whatever chat service they want. Its their life and idc what others use. Use both, use none - Just support FG shit in one way or another is the take away. So much effort goes into thinking how much fun we can have on a daily basis and those others that try should be recognised (and they will in the future).

(P.s. @Diddums no idea why it was stickied, not had chance to keep clean up on subforums).

8 minutes ago, Diddums said:

Can you send nudes via Discord? If so maybe we should give it a shot. I don't know if I'd be able to live without @LordBaguette's live feed from 4chan. 

Yes.