What do you do?

Dan94

I am a business process analyst. I basically just collect data and try to improve our company's defect rate in pulling certain types of medical claims- internally I'm listed as a developer. Also I own an esports event organization, currently focused on Rainbow 6 Siege leagues. (Information in my signature)

i7 7700k, 16GB RAM, GEFORCE 1080, 240GB SSHD, 2TB SSD

I am a business process analyst. I basically just collect data and try to improve our company's defect rate in pulling certain types of medical claims- internally I'm listed as a developer. Also I own an esports event organization, currently focused on Rainbow 6 Siege leagues. (Information in my signature)
That's a lot of words just to say "I'm a twat".

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

2 minutes ago, phil bottle said:

That's a lot of words just to say "I'm a twat".

I am literally that guy in Office Space who says "I take the specs from the customers and give them to the software engineers". "I'M A PEOPLE PERSON". I am literally paid to monitor multiple microsoft sharepoints and then apply some SQL to improve certain metrics. 

i7 7700k, 16GB RAM, GEFORCE 1080, 240GB SSHD, 2TB SSD

“I take the specs from the customers and give them to the software engineers".  = $25 per hour

"I'M A PEOPLE PERSON".  = $15 per hour

I am literally paid to monitor multiple microsoft sharepoints and then apply some SQL to improve certain metrics. = $ POA  😎😂😂

fa91d1c7-2525-4709-a13b-ae6fabba557e.jpg

Thanks to Capn_Underpants for the artwork

3 hours ago, The3rdWalker said:

I am literally that guy in Office Space who says "I take the specs from the customers and give them to the software engineers". "I'M A PEOPLE PERSON". I am literally paid to monitor multiple microsoft sharepoints and then apply some SQL to improve certain metrics. 

I think SQL will be used a lot in this role I'm going for

Is it fairly ok to grasp? I've seen a few people say its hard and a few say its the beginners query language...

I think SQL will be used a lot in this role I'm going for

Is it fairly ok to grasp? I've seen a few people say its hard and a few say its the beginners query language...
It's straightforward I believe, have a go on this:

https://www.w3schools.com/sql/

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

37 minutes ago, phil bottle said:

It's straightforward I believe, have a go on this:

https://www.w3schools.com/sql/

Cheers Phil

I also have another interview Monday which is more of a Web Design / Developer based role :)

Have an interview tomorrow for an IT Test Analyst role at a Software Consultancy. Only 10 minutes away in City centre so fingers crossed.

Anyone have any experience? 
Cheers Phil

I also have another interview Monday which is more of a Web Design / Developer based role [emoji4]
Good luck buddy! Sorry it's late seeing so hope it went well this week and fingers crossed for you nailing Monday's one! I know you will though bud #Believe [emoji16][emoji109][emoji173]
I wish I was a lot younger, I'd jump at these options [emoji4]

Tell me about it. I absolutely would love a job in this sector. I need to find more time to learn web development again. I would love to apply a lot of funky shit here for everyone to have more fun here.

Tell me about it. I absolutely would love a job in this sector. I need to find more time to learn web development again. I would love to apply a lot of funky shit here for everyone to have more fun here.
Cheers mate.

I didn't get the tester one I went for thursday, had someone more suited apparently. Wasn't exactly what I wanted tbh and maybe that showed in the interview but still good experience.

Have another interview Monday for a Web designer / developer job and applied for another 2 similar roles which I'm waiting to hear back from regarding interviews

Sent from my Samsung S9+ using Tapatalk

I work at a company that produce equipment used by the utilities sector. I'm responsible for the development of the desktop software that's used to monitor and archive records of the work done by the equipment, so a lot of it is looking at what features in the software I can implement to make the end-users life easier. Just recently added on a module that uses a database to store the information (rather than file based as the rest of the program). Significantly quicker and easier to fetch the info, and will allow for the user to have custom filters (queuries).

Main languages used are C# (WPF) and SQL (SQLite databases). Also work with Python for some other bits and bobs (small internal scripts and programs).

Considering I only started using the above languages just over a year and a half ago, I'm surprised just how well and fast I took to them. Previous experience was with C/C++, but with the UI stuff in C# WPF, and the industry standard of 'seperating' the background logic from the foreground UI, it was quite a bit different. Vastly more exciting as a day-to-day job than my previous which was literally copy and pasting code for 5 years....

1562265543_Starletlogsig.png.19b3c199efb193f2f7d11a161bf5a2d6.png

On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 3:28 PM, Dan94 said:

Cheers mate.

I didn't get the tester one I went for thursday, had someone more suited apparently. Wasn't exactly what I wanted tbh and maybe that showed in the interview but still good experience.

Have another interview Monday for a Web designer / developer job and applied for another 2 similar roles which I'm waiting to hear back from regarding interviews

Sent from my Samsung S9+ using Tapatalk

Didn't get the Web designer now either, guy was a bit of a deluded idiot tbh. Had the 'interview' in his dining room with dogs running around barking, jumping up etc. Said he was expecting a portfolio of websites I had designed (if I could do that, I'd have my own business or be going for a full time role, not an apprenticeship to LEARN).

Anyway, still waiting to hear back from the other 2 roles who've been sent my CV by the apprenticeship provider so fingers crossed. Bit disheartening though

1 hour ago, NCA-Paendrag said:

Sounds like that was a place you don’t want to work anyway. 

Who sets up a job interview ina dining room with dogs running around?! 

Its a small family owned business at his house (portakabin in the garden as an office) so could understand if it was a little informal and relaxed but just put the dogs in another room ffs they were little scatty things running about

Anyway, gave feedback to apprenticeship provider and they're investigating further with their manager about whether they're going to work with that company in the further, he also had to Google the wages for apprentices with regards to my age etc which was unprofessional as well. He had my CV prior to the interview

1 hour ago, Dan94 said:

Its a small family owned business at his house (portakabin in the garden as an office) so could understand if it was a little informal and relaxed but just put the dogs in another room ffs they were little scatty things running about

Anyway, gave feedback to apprenticeship provider and they're investigating further with their manager about whether they're going to work with that company in the further, he also had to Google the wages for apprentices with regards to my age etc which was unprofessional as well. He had my CV prior to the interview

You were barking up the wrong tree there 😉

3 hours ago, phil bottle said:

Plus, why has no-one said:

"Your mum"

Disappointing FG, disappointing emoji16.png

Because your mum is busy at my house doin' nasty stuff. 

And she is not disappointing! 

On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 5:44 PM, GazzaGarratt said:
On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 9:44 AM, Dan94 said:
Does anyone work in Web Development / Design?

I've decided at the grand old age of 24 that I want to pursue a career that I would enjoy and want to do as a proper career, and not just stuck in a job that I don't enjoy; so I've started doing a course on Udemy (training course website) in my spare time to learn HTML, CSS and JavaScript then hopefully get my foot in somewhere as a Web Developer.

Read more  

Fair play Dan. Funnily enough that's exactly what I'd love to do aswell. I've started on CodeAcademy as its free. How much is your course? Its been a while since I've picked it up though.

How are you finding CodeAcademy mate? I've been doing my course on Udemy but seen a few people online (Instagram and also someone on my estate) who've used Treehouse and gone from zero to Front End Developer in 6-9 months and into a job.

It is £20 p/m though and then £199 p/m if you want a 'TechDegree'