Crucible Ranking System Updates - May

GazzaGarratt

May brings the Crucible updates that gives a little more purpose to playing Crucible.

There are 2 modes:

Valor – A progression rank that goes up as you complete matches. Winning helps you move up faster, but there are no loss penalties.

Glory – A progression rank that goes up when you win and down when you lose. Performance is how you move up here.

I believe there is 5 ranks for Glory, which is essentially Competitive Ranked Play.

The good news is that there is a reward to chase which is a Pulse Rifle (I'll grab when I have time) that looks a monster of a gun. It also can only be received as a reward from Season 3.

Having rewards good enough is key to a rank system, although Overwatch doesn't seem to have a problem with no rewards the higher you go due to its model.

Anyone thinking of playing some of this? I mean, I feel more incentivised to play if there is a number pushing me on to play.

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

Here's the Season 3 reward. Really glad its a Tex Mechanica gun and the perk is beastly. Desperado is a brand new perk - Reload while Outlaw is active and increases rate of fire without lowering impact. Attached to the highly-elusive Fabled Rank in Glory.

destiny-2-redrix-claymore.jpg

On 4/25/2018 at 9:13 PM, NCA-Paendrag said:

Valor maybe. But with crucible being as it is I would probably go up and down and not go past level 1 😄

I don't think you'd be that bad tbh. You'd be surprised.

There looks like 6 ranks on the Glory mode.

- Guardian

- Brave

- Heroic

- Fabled

- Mythic

- Legend

Fabled apparently is top c.40% of PvP players which you need for the gun reward.

If you get to Mythic or Legend you have to play 3 games a week otherwise your score will decay.

Legend will return you the different camo for the gun (the name has escaped me) but really good to see better rewards tied to crucible.

7 hours ago, Diddums said:

Woooo, new stuff, yay, I can barely contain my excitement.

At least it is new stuff that looks good, is more powerful and makes a difference rather than all cosmetic crap. Loot system is finally better and I hope people see that.

6 hours ago, NCA-Paendrag said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but the reward is a camo/skin? 

Yep. Ornament was the name I was looking for.

1 hour ago, GazzaGarratt said:

Yep. Ornament was the name I was looking for.

Then it doesn't give me much incentive to play that. Don't really care much on how the guns look. Unless the ornament adds a bonus weapon stat or buff. 

1 minute ago, NCA-Paendrag said:

Then it doesn't give me much incentive to play that. Don't really care much on how the guns look. Unless the ornament adds a bonus weapon stat or buff. 

No, the ornament is for top players so they can show the gun in a different way. The gun is one of the best incentives we've ever had on PvP so getring to Fabled rank is clearly worthwhile. Everything after that is more for your own personal boasting. In Overwatch its only about your score so I'd rather work towards a reward than get nothing continuously just to watch a rank go up or down.

28 minutes ago, NCA-Paendrag said:

But by the looks of it it doesn't have that much impact. I don't really get the weapon stats as a gun with high impact can get destroyed by a gun with lower. Obviously perks have something to say. 

Brede, it's a pulse rifle, which are in the meta right now. Then it includes a brand new perk that no other gun has so when you proc it, it combines with Outlaw, the damage drop off doesn't happen and whilst rate of fire increases. That means more high damage critical hits in shorter space of time. This would be good for PvE too.

I'm thinking this needs a party until they fix the matchmaking change that impacts solo players and teams.

I'll be around on the weekend but I must admit I'd like to know what weapons are working for everyone in Crucible now.

Vigilance Wing should be the go-to gun but I struggle with it. Went back to Uriel's Gift and felt more at home.

Matchmaking changes were backed out after the first day of the May update. Looks like now it is back in.

At some point I'll be looking to try out the Ranked Crucible to see how it fairs. Not because I want to be sweaty, more so because I want to see if there's any chance of getting that Crucible gun reward. May mess about in more quickplay to test put which guns feel smooth for me.

30 minutes ago, techno said:

One thing I really miss from D1 is the crucible experience and being able to sit in for hours bashing out bounties etc

I'd love to see improvements to that side of the game.

There's a Roadmap Update later today from Bungie so I have my fingers crossed for Bounties in the Summer update.