No campaign in BO4. Battle Royale instead.

MrBiron

https://www.videogamer.com/news/rumour-call-of-duty-black-ops-4-wont-ship-with-a-single-player-campaign

Apparently, anyway.

So COD, which used to be the market leader, is now just copying every other fucker and doing a Battle Royale mode. Looks like this series really has lost all originality.

BUT I can't say I'm arsed either way. Treyarch campaigns have always been a bit shit. If this means Treyarch can focus solely on MP then I'm all for it.

fart.gif

Don't they already have a CoD battle royale type thing in China? Terrible idea. Just stick to your roots and let other games do their thing...

Either way, if it means the multiplayer is better, then go for it. They'll probably release the campaign as DLC anyway for extra £££ :lol:

Even though the campaigns are fairly short and not everyone plays them; they remain an integral part of the experience and give the game its identity. If this is true and they remove it in place of a Battle Royale mode (how fucking original) then that would probably be the end of the franchise for me. What's worse is that Raven Software are doing the BR portion apparently and they are god awful developers who somehow even manged to ruin Modern Warfare Remastered and then went into hiding. 

I can actually see Call of Duty becoming a card game in 3 years time the way the industry is going. 

7 minutes ago, J4MES OX4D said:

Even though the campaigns are fairly short and not everyone plays them; they remain an integral part of the experience and give the game its identity. If this is true and they remove it in place of a Battle Royale mode (how fucking original) then that would probably be the end of the franchise for me. What's worse is that Raven Software are doing the BR portion apparently and they are god awful developers who somehow even manged to ruin Modern Warfare Remastered and then went into hiding. 

I can actually see Call of Duty becoming a card game in 3 years time the way the industry is going. 

Totally agree.

If everyone just starts to copy each other, then whats the bloody point :1315_thumbsdown_tone1:

This just screams of Activision jumping on the latest bandwagon to milk as much cash as possible.

The problem they have is that the campaign takes a lot of work and everyone always complains about the online aspect. This way they can focus on the online part and if they choose to add the campaign later they can.

The battle royal game mode doesn’t bother me, you either play it or you don’t. The online will always be more focused on the game modes that the pro plays, or at least I hope.

This must make the game cheaper 😂 It won’t be but it really should.

6 hours ago, Dan94 said:

This just screams of Activision jumping on the latest bandwagon to milk as much cash as possible.

Yep! I've read that it wasn't like Treyarch just neglected the campaign to prioritise the multiplayer and zombies - Activision actually cancelled it because it was 'too out there' and 'outlandish'. After Black Ops 3's ludicrous campaign, I can kinda believe it.

According to the latest update; the Raven's Battle Royale mode might not even be ready for launch and they aren't even sure if it'll support 100 players. What an absolute fiasco this could turn out to be. 

In the past 30 days we've gone from Modern Warfare 2 remastered without multiplayer to Black Ops 4 without a campaign! 

14 hours ago, J4MES OX4D said:

Yep! I've read that it wasn't like Treyarch just neglected the campaign to prioritise the multiplayer and zombies - Activision actually cancelled it because it was 'too out there' and 'outlandish'. After Black Ops 3's ludicrous campaign, I can kinda believe it.

According to the latest update; the Raven's Battle Royale mode might not even be ready for launch and they aren't even sure if it'll support 100 players. What an absolute fiasco this could turn out to be. 

In the past 30 days we've gone from Modern Warfare 2 remastered without multiplayer to Black Ops 4 without a campaign! 

Wait, so there WAS a Black Ops 4 campaign, but its been pulled? That's even worse imo. At least if there was no campaign, then the positives such as extra time spent on other aspects of the game would've been achieved, but by the sounds of things they've just wasted months (years?) on a campaign, for it not to even be published.

What a waste of time!

1 hour ago, Dan94 said:

Wait, so there WAS a Black Ops 4 campaign, but its been pulled? That's even worse imo. At least if there was no campaign, then the positives such as extra time spent on other aspects of the game would've been achieved, but by the sounds of things they've just wasted months (years?) on a campaign, for it not to even be published.

Yep, it's unclear how far into development the campaign had been but Activision weren't impressed it seems. Doesn't ooze much confidence in Treyarch for the rest of the game either. If Raven don't finish Battle Royale before release and it cannot support 100 players; the whole package will be a joke at this rate.

27 minutes ago, MrBiron said:

If the rumours turn out to be true then I hope this game fails completely. Not because I hate the series but because it might finally force Activision into giving the game the massive overhaul that it sorely needs.

Activision have paid the price for their lack of innovation over the years and now they are desperately chasing the trends. They should just accept that their brand is getting destroyed by an early access free to play game and instead of hopping on the bandwagon; maybe innovate or rejuvenate even if it's getting too late.  

The idea doesn't sound to suit CoD on the face of it but then again, what's to say it won't work?

The main problem I think people have is that it looks like they are all out of ideas, which may be true.