PC Build

BO7H B4RRELS

My buddy wants a new PC. He's got a ceiling of $2,000. He wants a desktop. Would someone smarter than me be willing to put together a nice parts ticker for him? Thanks!!!

Via the FG App

Does 2k need to include the monitor, keyboard, mouse and operating system?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i7 7700k, 16GB RAM, GEFORCE 1080, 240GB SSHD, 2TB SSD

7 hours ago, BO7H B4RRELS said:

Operating system, yes. Everything else, no.

Via the FG App

Whilst I can't add much to this, the only thing I'm noticing is that with a powerful PC, I really need a monitor that can show it off. Maybe ask him how powerful his monitor is now and we can see if it's on the right lines for the recommendations given.

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

$2,000 is a decent budget for an upper mid-range build. He'll need a good monitor and peripherals to go with it but those really do add to the cost especially a good monitor to really get the most out of the graphics card. I recently had to replace my PC with a £1,400 pre-build but thankfully I already had £500+ worth of hardware recently upgraded before I bought just the unit itself. 

For $2k, he'd be looking at an i5/i7 with a high clock speed 4+ GHz total, GTX 1070/1080, 16gb DDR4 RAM, an SSD plus HDD and a decent cooler. Graphics card prices are mental right now so he may even be best going for a solid pre-build where the price hasn't been bolstered to accommodate the individual hrowing prices of cards. This is what I had to do - spend £1400 on a pre-build or £1,700 with the components separately - usually it's the other way round! 

In terms of a monitor, a high refresh rate is key to get the most out of the card. Don't want to be rocking a 60hz vintage with a 1080ti for instance.