Time for another Marvel Reboot

Sennex

So Bendis left, and Marvel is feeling the hurt from all the bad writing and twitter rants that happened a few years ago. So its time for another reboot.

Talking with the owners of the local shops here (Its the same family that owns them all), Marvel subscription numbers have absolutely tanked. Even titles such as Avengers and Red Goblin have maybe 10 subs total.  Meanwhile DC, IDW, Image, and Dark Horse sales are all up.

The Comic Retailers convention in Chicago should be interesting to say the least this year.

Regardless of all that though. have any From what I can see Marvel doesn't have any really exciting stories or writers. 

What are ya'lls thoughts about this stuff?

Luke 23:34
'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

28 minutes ago, phil bottle said:

I would actually prefer animated superhero movies

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

If DC were to stop live action movies, and do major productions of animated movies, i think they could give Marvel some real competition

'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

1 hour ago, Sennex said:

If DC were to stop live action movies, and do major productions of animated movies, i think they could give Marvel some real competition

When I saw what they did with the Watchmen I kind of wish they would try it out more. 

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

So what marvel likes to do is fire up an event, spin off new titles, if they pan out, they hen change the other lines to match it. If it doesn't then they retcon it, or say it happened in an alternate universe. For that reason its actually really hard to say how many times they have done it (DC just retcons everything to say all of it has always happened which is kind of lame,  kind of cool).

Off the top of my head 2015 with Secret Wars 2

Marvel Legacy in 2017

Marvel Civil war was a reboot event of sorts, but it was odd. (I have no idea if Civil War 2 was supposed to be)

One of the things they like to do is reboot individual lines, or a group of lines. Which also muddies the waters on counting a grand total of times

On 16/03/2018 at 9:21 PM, Sennex said:

One of the things they like to do is reboot individual lines, or a group of lines. Which also muddies the waters on counting a grand total of times

Yeah, I can see how this would be confusing. I've never been a fan of rebooting things like this but I can see it's difficult to keep interest if a story has a definitive end (like killing off characters).

I suppose you always need that feeling in stories that it could go either way to keep reader's interests.

On 3/16/2018 at 12:24 PM, Sennex said:

Talking with the owners of the local shops here (Its the same family that owns them all), Marvel subscription numbers have absolutely tanked. Even titles such as Avengers and Red Goblin have maybe 10 subs total.  Meanwhile DC, IDW, Image, and Dark Horse sales are all up.

Just judging the change in our pull-list, I would definitely say this is true. Pre-DC Rebirth our list was about 80% Marvel, the rest various Image titles and Batman. Now it's a complete 180. I think our only Marvel titles are Darth Vader, Doctor Aphra, and Captain Marvel. Captain Marvel has been pretty lack luster as well, with the latest storyline being resolved in a single panel, but Carol Corps for life. Everything else is a pretty good split between DC and Image.

Marvel can reboot all they want, but if they don't have decent writers then there aren't going to be the sales long-term. And dragging out their events for months and months and spread over several titles is annoying has hell as well. At least with DC's current event, Metal, it's kept basically to single issues and hasn't dipped into other stories. I honestly can't remember chunks of what happened in Civil War 2 because there was so much unnecessary crap. 

The DC Metal series is amazing. Doomsday Clock is also just fantastic.

The Darth Vader series is the only marvel title I enjoy currently.