Nintendo Switch to become #2 above Xbox

GazzaGarratt

Analysts have predicted by the end of the year that Switch will have outdone Xbox sales.

Whilst never being a major Nintendo fan, after seeing it in action and then buying one, I have to admit I am in awe of how they've cleverly hit the handheld and console market so successfully with the Switch.

The worry was always about the games, however whilst we still wait for more 3rd parties to create remasters and more games for it, the current selection of Switch games are all up in the 8/9/10 out of 10 games available.

Microsoft just can't compete with just Halo being there only successful major exclusive product (imo).

Mario Odyssey, Mario Kart 8, Zelda, Splatoon 2 and now Smash Bros. The port L.A. Noire looks impressive and bespokely made for their controls too.

The one true gap for them really destroying the market is the community and friends capability. It's an extremely poor experience and one which you'd think they'd at least have a basic infrastructure built by now. Here's hoping they really invest in this to allow it to compete against all consoles side by side.

Really impressive comeback after the Wii U.

The Switch and the PS4 have one thing in common; first party titles for their own in-house developers. Quality and quantity of games matter so much and these consoles have stacks.  Doesn't surprise me that Nintendo are thriving so well - the Switch launched with more top games than the Xbox One has mustered in 4 years.  This is where Microsoft have struggled throughout and deservedly so after their woeful entry into this generation with a VHS player, Kinect, no devs and needing to throw money around at the likes of Titanfall just in the hope of getting a foothold in something 'exclusive'. They may have the Xbox One X which is complete overkill for gamers and devs but if you've got jack shit games then what's the point and it just proves how desperate and wayward Microsoft have been this gen from start to finish aka now. There's absolutely no point in the XB1 at all really which is a shame as the 360 was a wonderful console.

Just goes to show that money can't buy success now matter how much you throw around and if you don't have your own studios you ain't got no games. I hope Nintendo can maintain their quality titles in quantity also, and that they continue to attract developers and other major games in years to come. It's definitely been a very encouraging start. 

Microsoft’s stupid decisions, that they later 180’d on, are still hurting them. That reveal of the xbone was one of the worst things I’ve seen in gaming history. Never have so many bad decisions been made, at the same fucking time. It’s still laughable, even now.

This still makes me chuckle

3 hours ago, tronic44 said:

Microsoft’s stupid decisions, that they later 180’d on, are still hurting them. That reveal of the xbone was one of the worst things I’ve seen in gaming history. Never have so many bad decisions been made, at the same fucking time. It’s still laughable, even now.

Not only did the thing look like a VHS player but the always online, compulsory Kinect and no pre-owned games was a disaster right off the bat and then the ones that did buy it after the infamous u-turns found out that the console was dreadfully underpowered for its cost and then there were little good games available. Hard to believe this was the follow up to the iconic 360!

At least Nintendo have learned from their mistakes whilst Microsoft just keep on making more and more. 

The only problem I have with my switch is cleaning the dust off of it. 

I beat Mario Odyssey, and Zelda, sadly there isn't much else I really want to play on it. Its a great system, it really is, but things are getting released so slowly it seems that mine honestly just sits there. 

Luke 23:34
'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

The only problem I have with my switch is cleaning the dust off of it. 

I beat Mario Odyssey, and Zelda, sadly there isn't much else I really want to play on it. Its a great system, it really is, but things are getting released so slowly it seems that mine honestly just sits there. 
I can understand that there's still not quite the right quantity of games for the Switch just yet but to most of the population would still have plenty of gameplay in those games you've completed (i haven't got cloae to finishing Zelda and don't own Odyssey yet). That said, it's unknown if the new Nintendo Labo stuff that looks crazy and amazing will fill the void for some of this year whilst we wait for further titles to come out.

I'm with the words of James' when he says promising start. For once in my life I'm wanting a Nintendo product to push on and be really successful.

Via the FG App

One thing to keep in mind though, is that the majority of Nintendo systems have outsold all Microsoft systems. If you start counting handheld systems, the numbers change even better for Nintendo. 

Nintendo is known for Gimmicks though, so I don't expect the Labo to change the numbers really at all. What will change it even more is getting people, like those of us here, to start using the system on a regular basis. If they were to actually port over the entirety of the virtual console from the Wii and Wii U system then I know a few others, myself included, that would play the shit out of the system. Sadly all those games I bought for the Wii and Wii U are gone. It honestly feels like more of a rip off than losing access to PS3 games when moving to a PS4.

'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

9 hours ago, GazzaGarratt said:

That said, it's unknown if the new Nintendo Labo stuff that looks crazy and amazing will fill the void for some of this year whilst we wait for further titles to come out.

I think the Nintendo Labia is going to be pretty lame. That's probably the Nintendo gimmick of 2018 which they are known for. 

3 minutes ago, Sennex said:

Nintendo is known for Gimmicks though, so I don't expect the Labo to change the numbers really at all. 

I should have read Bart's comment. Yeah. 

i7 7700k, 16GB RAM, GEFORCE 1080, 240GB SSHD, 2TB SSD

8 minutes ago, Sennex said:

One thing to keep in mind though, is that the majority Sadly all those games I bought for the Wii and Wii U are gone. It honestly feels like more of a rip off than losing access to PS3 games when moving to a PS4.

I didn't think of that tbh so valid point. Thinking quickly about it though I'm not quite sure it would matter as don't believe there was much quality created for the Wii. I have a ton of games for mine but I didn't play them at all.

5 minutes ago, The3rdWalker said:

I think the Nintendo Labia is going to be pretty lame. That's probably the Nintendo gimmick of 2018 which they are known for. 

I should have read Bart's comment. Yeah. 

Totally understand why both of you would say that. I just personally look at most gimmicks and then look at the typical family household and think that is an extremely good and unique idea. I know other families with them are already looking at the variety pack for their kids. Adults wise though, yeah, I agree.

How many of those families use Nintendo Gimmicks after the first month of ownership?

I don't and I don't know a single one that does. Not even the Amiibo's which actually add shit to some games.

Nintendo's marketing is an amazing engine.

7 minutes ago, Sennex said:

How many of those families use Nintendo Gimmicks after the first month of ownership?

I don't and I don't know a single one that does. Not even the Amiibo's which actually add shit to some games.

Nintendo's marketing is an amazing engine.

I agree with what you're saying here. The timing of the release of Labo is why though they seem to be onto a winner.

The game release schedule looks quiet for Q2 and Q3 (unless Smash Bros is then but I'm thinking October) so if a family buy just one variety pack that is pretty much equivalent of buying 2 AAA games. It keeps revenue going and back to the original story I just don't see what Microsoft can release in the same period to compare with them.

1 hour ago, Sennex said:

Release in terms of system Gimmicks or actual games?

Actual games. The releases this year for xbox one look really depressing apart from Sea of Thieves but that's on PC too anyway.

Nintendo Switch releases look fairly quiet but after the Labo has had a few promoted months you have Smash Bros and all new Toad and Yoshi games (I think Metroid Prime is 2019 though). In between those is quite a few ports which i think is promising for the future.

54 minutes ago, GazzaGarratt said:

Actual games. The releases this year for xbox one look really depressing apart from Sea of Thieves but that's on PC too anyway.

Nintendo Switch releases look fairly quiet but after the Labo has had a few promoted months you have Smash Bros and all new Toad and Yoshi games (I think Metroid Prime is 2019 though). In between those is quite a few ports which i think is promising for the future.

Nintendo isn't much better, like you've said,  ports of games already on other consoles are pretty much their entire 2018 release schedule. Microsoft and Nintendo are pretty much the same on that. 

Nintendo's release schedule is pretty dead until December from what I can see. 

Who cares though. None of you all are buying an Xbox One or a Switch anytime soon.

54 minutes ago, Sennex said:

Who cares though. None of you all are buying an Xbox One or a Switch anytime soon.

Yeah, i'd go for Q4 for most of those games I mentioned which would make sense just before Christmas. I just found it interesting one of my least favourite console makers are doing way better than I thought they would when it came out.

I do think more people would buy the Switch if they sorted out an actual chat party service though.

3 hours ago, Sennex said:

I really want to buy one, but I believe we are closing on a house in May which makes me not want to spend money on one. If I had to have one console, it'd be a Switch. 

Thing that is harming Switch is the prices of games I've noticed particularly the indie ones. Not only can these be got at on PC much cheaper; it's also pretty extortionate for non-AAA titles. This is only a handful I've picked out plus a couple of more bigger titles. I was very tempted getting a Switch late last year but dodged it after seeing it would cost £400 with the accessories I wanted but seems the games would also add substantially to the grand total. 

Payday 2 is £39.99 whereas on Steam you could get the collection in the sale for £8.74

Rocket League is £34.99 but on Steam it can be got as low as £7.49

Minecraft Story mode is £34.99 but in the Steam sale, it regularly drops to £5.74

Rayman Legends £29.99 but on Steam £2.99

Skyrim £41.99 but the enhanced complete edition on Steam is around a tenner at best

Overcooked £29.99 but you can get it for under a fiver on PC from numerous places

Doom £39.99 but this was £6.66 on Fanatical a few weeks ago

Resident Evil Revelations £39.99 but £5.74 on PC usually

Binding of Issac Rebirth £29.99 but barely £7.49 on Steam complete

1 hour ago, J4MES OX4D said:

Thing that is harming Switch is the prices of games I've noticed particularly the indie ones. Not only can these be got at on PC much cheaper; it's also pretty extortionate for non-AAA titles. This is only a handful I've picked out plus a couple of more bigger titles. I was very tempted getting a Switch late last year but dodged it after seeing it would cost £400 with the accessories I wanted but seems the games would also add substantially to the grand total. 

Payday 2 is £39.99 whereas on Steam you could get the collection in the sale for £8.74

Rocket League is £34.99 but on Steam it can be got as low as £7.49

Minecraft Story mode is £34.99 but in the Steam sale, it regularly drops to £5.74

Rayman Legends £29.99 but on Steam £2.99

Skyrim £41.99 but the enhanced complete edition on Steam is around a tenner at best

Overcooked £29.99 but you can get it for under a fiver on PC from numerous places

Doom £39.99 but this was £6.66 on Fanatical a few weeks ago

Resident Evil Revelations £39.99 but £5.74 on PC usually

Binding of Issac Rebirth £29.99 but barely £7.49 on Steam complete

I'm really not sure it is price tbh. I don't see the Switch comparable with a PC. The digital stores for any consoles will always be higher than Steam as its sold as a unique build that can't be tampered with.

I also believe the Switch is aimed at families like usual however with an added benefit to try and enter the core console market. Hardcore players that are also PCMR will come up with similar views to yours imo.

What I like about it is they never entered a race with PS4 and xbone but they are slowly coming a part of it which they need applauding for.

1 hour ago, GazzaGarratt said:

I'm really not sure it is price tbh. I don't see the Switch comparable with a PC. The digital stores for any consoles will always be higher than Steam as its sold as a unique build that can't be tampered with.

These are old games though that have just been released in threadbare form on the Switch at what is quite a ludicrous pricepoint especially the indie titles. I think it could price a lot of owners out of games on the system. Rocket League can be got on PS4 for £15 as a physical copy, Doom is £12, Minecraft Story is £15 and Payday 2 complete is around £20. The entry pricing is just too much and it's not about being comparable - it's more about getting the best possible deal for games without ultimately getting ripped off. The Payday 2 developers were giving the game away to everyone for free on Steam a few months ago so charging £40 for a watered-down Nintendo version is pretty outrageous really especially as the game is very old. I think they are tapping into the pure Nintendo market and hoping players who wouldn't game on any other system buy into the mainstream games but it's at a ridiculous price for a far lesser version.

It's not even remasters; it's old build ports which makes it more crazy. Easy money for publishers and developers and it taps into a market that may have never played the games before but that is savage pricing really. 

The switch digital store is really lacking for a year old system. James is absolutely correct for what I have seen so far

23 hours ago, J4MES OX4D said:

These are old games though that have just been released in threadbare form on the Switch at what is quite a ludicrous pricepoint especially the indie titles. I think it could price a lot of owners out of games on the system. Rocket League can be got on PS4 for £15 as a physical copy, Doom is £12, Minecraft Story is £15 and Payday 2 complete is around £20. The entry pricing is just too much and it's not about being comparable - it's more about getting the best possible deal for games without ultimately getting ripped off. The Payday 2 developers were giving the game away to everyone for free on Steam a few months ago so charging £40 for a watered-down Nintendo version is pretty outrageous really especially as the game is very old. I think they are tapping into the pure Nintendo market and hoping players who wouldn't game on any other system buy into the mainstream games but it's at a ridiculous price for a far lesser version.

It's not even remasters; it's old build ports which makes it more crazy. Easy money for publishers and developers and it taps into a market that may have never played the games before but that is savage pricing really. 

5 hours ago, Sennex said:

The switch digital store is really lacking for a year old system. James is absolutely correct for what I have seen so far

It maybe me then with my lack of usage or caring for digital games. Be good to see what their sales are so far via digital to physical.

11 hours ago, GazzaGarratt said:

It maybe me then with my lack of usage or caring for digital games. Be good to see what their sales are so far via digital to physical.

It's not about digital games though - it's the price of the indie games in general.  Seems that publishers are using the Switch to peddle their old games and charging a massive premium for the privilege that fall slightly under the AAA threshold. 

Overcooked for instance launched at £13 on Steam and on PSN https://store.playstation.com/en-gb/product/EP4064-CUSA05399_00-OVERCOOKED000000 plus has dropped below a £5 in its time. To release at £30 on the Switch is beyond extortionate. It's not like games like these are being built from the ground up - they are quick-fire ports. I don't know if publishers are exploiting the current lack of titles and are hoping to tap in the pure Nintendo market of one-system players but these games should be priced in the £12-20 region so they are more attractively priced and affordable.  

It's the indie/family game range which will stem the time between major exclusive releases and if consumers feel they are being ripped off on games that can be bought at a bargain bin rate on other systems and stores; it could see a lot of problems for the console going forward. Nintendo need to bolster their catalogue but having publishers holding them to ransom isn't the best way to do it. 

This is the problem with Valve, Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft these days - their quality control and Store ethics aren't as strong as they should be and bad games/pricing easily slips through the net. Money first standards second sadly.