Final Fantasy XIV

final-fantasy-XIV-online-1366.jpg

Final Fantasy XIV is a massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) for Microsoft Windows personal computers, developed and published by Square Enix in 2010. It is the fourteenth entry in the main Final Fantasy series and the second MMORPG in the series after Final Fantasy XI. Set in the fantasy realm of Eorzea, players take control of a customized avatar as they explore the land and are caught up in both an invasion by the hostile Garlean Empire and the threat of the Primals, the deities of the land's Beastmen tribes. Eventually, they are embroiled in a plot by a Garlean Legatus to destroy the Primals by bringing one of the planet's moons down on Eorzea.

I played it with a free trial on PlayStation 4 and loved the game. The past few weeks I had the MMO itch again and Black Desert Online was amazing but I just didn't feel like turning it on. @Sabatine regularly plays FFXIV so I decided to give it ago on PC. 

Totally hooked. The game is massive and it's impressive how they continue to release content for the game. I have read there are plans to support this title for another 10 years, with at least two more expansions slated. 

i7 7700k, 16GB RAM, GEFORCE 1080, 240GB SSHD, 2TB SSD

4 hours ago, The3rdWalker said:

final-fantasy-XIV-online-1366.jpg

I played it with a free trial on PlayStation 4 and loved the game. The past few weeks I had the MMO itch again and Black Desert Online was amazing but I just didn't feel like turning it on. @Sabatine regularly plays FFXIV so I decided to give it ago on PC. 

Totally hooked. The game is massive and it's impressive how they continue to release content for the game. I have read there are plans to support this title for another 10 years, with at least two more expansions slated. 

What's the skill tree like? I think I recall you saying you can get a decent amount of play in for free?

What's the skill tree like? I think I recall you saying you can get a decent amount of play in for free?

Like wow you hit certain levels of your job and get skills. However unlock wow, you can get every class in the game on one character. The type of weapon you have equipped determines your job. So if you heal as a white made but want to tank, you go buy one of the tanking classes weapons. You then start off as level one of x class so you’ll have to relevel. But, switching back to your old class brings you to whatever level you left as

Free trial allows you to play as much as you want but you cannot go past level 20, you could pretty much play every class in the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23 hours ago, The3rdWalker said:

Like wow you hit certain levels of your job and get skills. However unlock wow, you can get every class in the game on one character. The type of weapon you have equipped determines your job. So if you heal as a white made but want to tank, you go buy one of the tanking classes weapons. You then start off as level one of x class so you’ll have to relevel. But, switching back to your old class brings you to whatever level you left as

Free trial allows you to play as much as you want but you cannot go past level 20, you could pretty much play every class in the game.

Got you. So how many classes / weapons can you buy?

8 hours ago, The3rdWalker said:

All of them.

I meant the number. It's £9.99 on steam so trying to decide what MMOs I want to try out.

2 hours ago, The3rdWalker said:

You asked about weapons or classes. Do you mean the game itself?

Yeah, for example is it like 8 different classes that each have 6 different weapons you can buy and customise?

10 minutes ago, GazzaGarratt said:

Yeah, for example is it like 8 different classes that each have 6 different weapons you can buy and customise?

I don't think I am explaining it well enough. You get tons of different weapons, but they fall under a category when equip you are that class. 

Disciples :

There are 4 disciple types in the game. Disciple types in FFXIV are nothing more than general headings for the 4 different methods to do anything in game. They are Disciples of War (using physical weapons for battle), Disciples of Magic (using magic for battle), Disciples of the Land (gathering), and Disciples of the Hand (crafting). Disciples have no levels and cannot progress in any way, they are nothing more than descriptive headings.

Classes:
Each class can be leveled from 1 to 70, but unlike many other games, a single character can level up as many classes as they wish. To change your class, simply equip the weapon / tool specific to the class you want to become anytime you are NOT in combat. You must finish the initial tutorial quest line before you can change jobs (the level 10 tutorial quest allows you to change class but it is not practical to collect all the classes until you unlock airship travel from the level 15 story quest). You must also talk to a different NPC once for each class to unlock it (the NPC is always the head of NPC guild for the class found in one of the 3 capital cities). If you level a Marauder to 35 and then decide to try healing as a Conjurer, just change your weapon to a wand and you will be set back to level 1 to start leveling as the new class. If you change back to a Marauder, you go back to level 35 and continue leveling it from where you left off. Your base stats change depending on your current class and level.

3 hours ago, The3rdWalker said:

I don't think I am explaining it well enough. You get tons of different weapons, but they fall under a category when equip you are that class. 

Disciples :

There are 4 disciple types in the game. Disciple types in FFXIV are nothing more than general headings for the 4 different methods to do anything in game. They are Disciples of War (using physical weapons for battle), Disciples of Magic (using magic for battle), Disciples of the Land (gathering), and Disciples of the Hand (crafting). Disciples have no levels and cannot progress in any way, they are nothing more than descriptive headings.

Classes:
Each class can be leveled from 1 to 70, but unlike many other games, a single character can level up as many classes as they wish. To change your class, simply equip the weapon / tool specific to the class you want to become anytime you are NOT in combat. You must finish the initial tutorial quest line before you can change jobs (the level 10 tutorial quest allows you to change class but it is not practical to collect all the classes until you unlock airship travel from the level 15 story quest). You must also talk to a different NPC once for each class to unlock it (the NPC is always the head of NPC guild for the class found in one of the 3 capital cities). If you level a Marauder to 35 and then decide to try healing as a Conjurer, just change your weapon to a wand and you will be set back to level 1 to start leveling as the new class. If you change back to a Marauder, you go back to level 35 and continue leveling it from where you left off. Your base stats change depending on your current class and level.

That makes total sense, thank you. I like the fact there are many classes to level up. What class is a good beginner one to start with?

1 hour ago, GazzaGarratt said:

That makes total sense, thank you. I like the fact there are many classes to level up. What class is a good beginner one to start with?

All of them. Literally any of the starting classes are pretty simple. Read up on the descriptions and pick which sounds the coolest.