Destiny Developer Updates 2018

GazzaGarratt

Over Chrsitmas the community managers are trying to be as clear as they can to advise what is being recorded and being looked into. They have a list, which isn't in any order, that they are very aware of in terms of feedback and things that need addressing. The list is below:

• Eververse
• Mayhem
• Vault Space
• Endgame - Strikes, Raids, Item Collection
• Crucible - Gametypes, Team sizes
• Sandbox Balancing - Exotics weapons and armor
• Three of Coins
• Curse of Osiris: Weapons Forge Questing
Masterworks and Weapon/Armor Modifications

Deej and Chris Barrett have confirmed next Thursday's blog (11th January) we will receive a developer update on next things coming.

Top of the list will have to be Eververse because of feedback of late. I'd rather here about content first but each to their own. Really happy team size is on the list and hoping for anything related on that.

Also, we should find out Crimson Days (Valentine Event) will be back as datamining found the logo on some exotic ornaments.

What do other people want to hear specifically from that list or something that is missing?

I’m afraid that one and only thing will bring me back to Destiny,Eververse must go. Like completely gone. Like they need to kill that bitch off. Then I may consider coming back to Destiny. 

I feel very betrayed by Bungie at this point. They had every chance not to screw this up. Well they did. I didn’t have a major problem with the micro transactions in D1 as it was mostly cosmetic stuff. Now they are locking every damn bit of the best stuff behind it. For what,greed! I don’t know who thought this was a good idea but they need to be fired. 

8 minutes ago, TigerBurge said:

I’m afraid that one and only thing will bring me back to Destiny,Eververse must go. Like completely gone. Like they need to kill that bitch off. Then I may consider coming back to Destiny. 

I feel very betrayed by Bungie at this point. They had every chance not to screw this up. Well they did. I didn’t have a major problem with the micro transactions in D1 as it was mostly cosmetic stuff. Now they are locking every damn bit of the best stuff behind it. For what,greed! I don’t know who thought this was a good idea but they need to be fired. 

I agree its gotta change. Realistically though it won't go away mate and based on that you wont play again already. All games have it now. I think its more that it has to go back to what it was like in D1, like you said,it worked then.

From a business perspective I see why you have them but they need to follow what other games have done and being partnered with Blizzard you'd think they'd see the mechanics of what they have because there's seems to work.

It would go away if people didn't buy that shit.

If eververse went back to emotes etc then no problems but locking loot in there fuck that.

I feel that the game is fundamentally flawed and it's gone too far to be brought back by patches. The loot is crap and worthless, the token system sucks, the progression system is pointless as enemies track with you and endgame stuff has it turned off because you know feels. 

They will tweak stuff and add the odd thing but I can't see it reaching the heights of D1. Maybe we're burnt out on it too.

Much as Gary says, I think game is too dumbed down in its key systems to be 'patched' back to life. I hope I am wrong as I actually think they produced some pretty good content, just the replay value is limited due to the weapons/armour systems being too simple. 

Bungie also seem to have developed an alarming habit of screwing up with every release they do:

Calus glitch in the vanilla game ( is this even patched?)

Iron banner loot system everyone hated

The faction rallies contest being pointless 

Expansion pack locked people out of vanilla content

That new exotic that was stupidly powerful in the crucible

The Dawning loot being heavily locked behind a paywall

The dawning thing was probably not a screw up, they were maybe just testing the boundaries of Eververse, given the level of rebellion on their own forum I hope they have learned from that.

Personally I can't see them getting the game going in the right direction until they actually recognise what a screw up the whole thing is. Needs a serious reboot to get anywhere near D1. I keep my eye on it, as I live in hope, but can't see any reason to log on or buy the expansion. I'd rather just be a data point on a graph in Bungie Towers, showing the millions who played D1 for thousands of hours over 3 years but have dropped D2 inside 3 months. I'm sure that graph exists, and it's probably the only hope for D2

Much as Gary says, I think game is too dumbed down in its key systems to be 'patched' back to life. I hope I am wrong as I actually think they produced some pretty good content, just the replay value is limited due to the weapons/armour systems being too simple. 

Bungie also seem to have developed an alarming habit of screwing up with every release they do:

Calus glitch in the vanilla game ( is this even patched?)
Iron banner loot system everyone hated
The faction rallies contest being pointless 
Expansion pack locked people out of vanilla content
That new exotic that was stupidly powerful in the crucible
The Dawning loot being heavily locked behind a paywall

The dawning thing was probably not a screw up, they were maybe just testing the boundaries of Eververse, given the level of rebellion on their own forum I hope they have learned from that.

Personally I can't see them getting the game going in the right direction until they actually recognise what a screw up the whole thing is. Needs a serious reboot to get anywhere near D1. I keep my eye on it, as I live in hope, but can't see any reason to log on or buy the expansion. I'd rather just be a data point on a graph in Bungie Towers, showing the millions who played D1 for thousands of hours over 3 years but have dropped D2 inside 3 months. I'm sure that graph exists, and it's probably the only hope for D2

A game that has had such a big following can redeem themselves but they need to go a long way.

In terms of your points Bob, some I agree with, some/most were pretty big problems in D1 too. However,we didn't mind as much as it was new. It was the first time we'd seen it so we were happy they acknowledged problems and went about fixing them.

2nd time around people won't be as forgiving as they expect them to learn from mistakes. Also,they had a grinding system and content that was relevant so people had stuff to do still ehilst they fixed it.

I actually sense that they are going to make a significant move on Eververse. I'm reading the tweets, hearing what they are saying and it sounds like a setup for Thursday to confirm a change.

I don't think they'll go altogether. The game needs to sustain a flow of cash and some people like buying cosmetic stuff or a dance emote. Idc if people do that. However, I'm always hopeful that the backlash has been heard and they're doing something serious about it.

To lead on from my previous post...

Whilst most may not really care what Bungie do now about Destiny 2, I'm willing to wait to hear about what they have to say.

I said a month ago that what they've done so far overall is poor but based on their recent communication the words and promises are on the table, we're just waiting for the actions now. It has been better communications and they are setting Today's blog up for quite a lot of info and delivering on their promises.

Tldr - Blog Today, watch Houndish 5min video recent tweets and what to expect.

31 minutes ago, Sennex said:

Didn't we have Rumble and Dead Ghosts in Destiny 1 at launch?

Yep. And its what most of the community want back.

26 minutes ago, Baabcat said:

If adding stuff that should have been in on day1 is the big news.....well....

D2 is like watching a car crash in slow motion.

Im predicting Lipstick on a Pig tomorrow

It may be. Or it may be something else, i dunno. Your post tells me they won't win you over Bob because most of the Destiny community want D1 stuff back in a D2 world.

I'm really hoping the masterworks and mods info fleshes that out more. On top of that we just need more things to grind for. If we don't I'm gonna struggle playing it any longer.

2 minutes ago, GazzaGarratt said:

Yep. And its what most of the community want back.

It may be. Or it may be something else, i dunno. Your post tells me they won't win you over Bob because most of the Destiny community want D1 stuff back in a D2 world.

I'm really hoping the masterworks and mods info fleshes that out more. On top of that we just need more things to grind for. If we don't I'm gonna struggle playing it any longer.

I think your natural optimism has kept you going on it Lee. I just don't see how they can pull it out of the fire now, but I genuinely hope they do.

2 minutes ago, Baabcat said:

I think your natural optimism has kept you going on it Lee. I just don't see how they can pull it out of the fire now, but I genuinely hope they do.

I think you're right mate and the fact I love the story and world of Destiny. And I wouldn't have found FG if it wasnt Destiny. I try to objective so that's why I get more disappointed and frustrated when I see the potential in a good game becoming great and it still hasn't happened yet.

So I actually hated the story. 

There was nothing at stake here.

We lost our powers 5 minutes in, we get them back 5 minutes later....... WTF?

Oh No! Zavala, Cayde, and Ikora are fighting the cabal in the city but they have no powers!!!!!!!! Oh No Here is touching dialogue about them dying!!!!!

Oh wait, no one died, so who cares. 

The entire story had zero consequences, but it was presented as if the world would end.

If they had killed even one of the vanguard Trio, then my view would be different. 

We spent how many years working towards gathering shit for the Factions, where were they?

Dead Orbit supposedly has a fleet..... Did I miss a cut scene?

New Monarchy has wanted to dump the speaker for years.... Why didn't they seize this opportunity?

I don't even know what FWC stands for other than fighting.... Which they didn't fucking do.

Luke 23:34
'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

So I actually hated the story. 
There was nothing at stake here.
We lost our powers 5 minutes in, we get them back 5 minutes later....... WTF?

Oh No! Zavala, Cayde, and Ikora are fighting the cabal in the city but they have no powers!!!!!!!! Oh No Here is touching dialogue about them dying!!!!!
Oh wait, no one died, so who cares. 

The entire story had zero consequences, but it was presented as if the world would end.

If they had killed even one of the vanguard Trio, then my view would be different. 

We spent how many years working towards gathering shit for the Factions, where were they?

Dead Orbit supposedly has a fleet..... Did I miss a cut scene?

New Monarchy has wanted to dump the speaker for years.... Why didn't they seize this opportunity?

I don't even know what FWC stands for other than fighting.... Which they didn't fucking do.

Let me clarify. I enjoyed the story whilst I appreciate it followed a basic hero saves the world storyline. It is morethe lore and the world it is set in that I love. Bungie has or hasn't on purpose let lots of teasers about things in the Destiny universe and its one of the first worlds in a game I've felt I want to always know more about.

As I say, whether they do it accidentally on purpose not to tell too much, who knows. But for me it leaves me with a feeling of wanting to know more. It keeps me interested.

51 minutes ago, SensaiNemesis said:

• Bright engrams and other things in Bright engrams will be easier to earn.
  • Iron Banner and Faction Rally will have better rewards
  • 6v 6 mode back
  • Private matches and competitive pvp: Valor which you keep moving up as long as you play and Glory which is based on skill. Also said they will add Rumble
  • Mayhem will be back for limited time (nothing on Nova Bombs)
  • No they aren't removing eververse but they say the balance has tipped towards Tess at some point.
  • Will have direct buy for Eververse Bright Engrams (Can select what to buy instead of engrams?)
  • May mean can buy emotes in Bright Engrams for straight money
  • Masterwork armor
  • Clarified the difference in DLC and seasonal stuff supported by Eververse
  • Looking at ways to improve the end game so people actually want to come back
  • Tower chat to PC (text my bad)
  • Admit there are some problems with leveling and will look at them
  • Can see fireteam members on patrol
  • Will add in 50 more vault spaces soon
  • Completely redoing mods at some point
  • Mods for raids now as well, including old ones will have a ghost added
  • Say they are making more raid encounters in the future
  • Strike scoring, highscores incentives to actually do strikes
  • Can dismantle multiple shaders, still not one use for all
  • Looking at Matchmaking for guided games and pvp fireteams
  • pvp fireteams as in not matching solo players against them
  • EMOTE WHEEL
  • Exotics are receiving a design pass to make sure they are unique and stand out (not clear if it means new and old or just new)
  • Crimson Days event beginning February 13 is when some of these changes take place. Would not get hopes up for more than 30%
  • if you do all weekly events during Crimson Days will receive three exotic cosmetics emblem ghost and emote

Half of this stuff was in Destiny 1. Why wasn't it in Destiny 2 at launch?

i7 7700k, 16GB RAM, GEFORCE 1080, 240GB SSHD, 2TB SSD

I have some thoughts on this. I need to sit on it for a little while today.

In short its a good update. As usual for some, not sure it will go far enough - that also goes for me but I want to be objective rather than put an optimistic view out there.

Just remember though, most wanted D1 stuff back in D2 plus additions and this is pretty much going that way.

Weekly update was out yesterday. For once it has some decent improved changes. As we know, it won't ever be the silver bullet but it was good to finally read appreciative enhancements to the game.

Jan 30th (Tuesday) we'll get:

Masterwork Armour

This is a decent change so now you can re-roll the stats on armour along with extra defence for supers (only helps PvP really imo).

This will stop the problem of getting the best armour with all the mobility and no recovery.

Raid Perks on Raid gear

It will use the mod system. 1 calus token can be used to swap them around so you don't permanently lose them. They are more general buffs to specific abilities so can help you across multiple raid activities e.g. 25% grenade recharge cooldown,so you can throw significantly more grenades at dogs, etc

You can also buy the gear from the sweeper bot. It will be rotated so you can get a piede if you're missing it.

You will also get a raid specific drop (not engram) at every encounter. I know most people here felt that was a shit one not to drop stuff after a great battle so a good one to see.

A few improvements along the way as well. Prometheus Lens may become more significant again.

There is also better improvements to Iron Banner. Infinitely better than Faction Rally. I'll put them on a separate thread.

Tldr, good changes, as we know, not gamebreaking but right direction.