Diet, Exercise and Nutrition

spectre

I have been making some progress these past 7 months. I'm going to work on adding to this thread all the things I've learned so far.

DISCLAIMER: Everybody is different. I'm not here to offer personal advice, as I'm not qualified enough to address a case by case basis.  The purpose of this thread is to show what I have learned and what works for me. Maybe it will work for you too.

MOTIVATION AND MOMENTUM

Inertia is the resistance of any physical object to any change in its motion (including a change in direction). In other words, it is the tendency of objects to keep moving in a straight line at constant linear velocity, or to keep still.

This idea is very relevant to exercise. Once you get going, you tend to keep going. Once you stop, that's it.  If you plan to take up this hobby, you should commit yourself to at least 4 weeks before deciding to stop. The reason for this, is because at 4 weeks, you will start to notice body changes in the mirror. That's all it takes.

Exercise is all about managing the variables. When and how much you eat. How much you lift in the gym. How long you rest between sets. How much sleep you get.  The list of "things to do" can seem daunting at first but once you get the pattern down, it becomes your way of life. 

THE FORCE OF HABIT

from Ethics for Young People, 1891

by Charles Carroll Everett

I was reading a book today and came across this passage. It further cements my theory that once you get momentum going, you tend to keep it going. It's the construction of habit that does this to us and one day, the new behavior (exercising) becomes just the way of your life; without need to even think about it.

article text

In speaking of the influence of companions, I said that a man tends to imitate the persons by whom he is surrounded; and we saw that while this tendency may work harm, it may also work much good; and that in fact the development of civilization has been largely dependent upon this tendency.

Mostof all, a man tends to imitate himself. The fact that he has done a thing once, in a certain way, makes it easier for him to do it again in the same way. The oftener this is repeated, the more fixed does the habit become.  Finally it may become almost impossible for him to do it in a different way.

It is interesting to see the force of habit in little things. In this way one can most easily get an idea of its real power.

Notice its power in such a little matter as putting on one's clothes, one's coat, for instance. Almost every one in doing this always puts the same arm first into the sleeve. With some it is the right arm and with some it is the left.  Probably very few, if they were asked, could tell which arm they put in first; but as soon as they undertake to do the thing, the arm which commonly goes first makes its movement; and it is only by a strong act of will that it can be made to give way to the other.

Observe, farther, how skill is acquired in any handiwork, so that at last the work goes on better when we are not thinking of it, than when we attend to what we are doing.  The fingers of the skillful pianist take care of themselves, and the old ladies can read as they knit.

Notice now the good results of this tendency of habits to become fixed. In some cases, like those to which I have referred, the life of the persons is, in a sense, doubled. As was just said, the old ladies knit and read or talk at the same time. So in very many things, the body that has been trained does the work while the mind is left free to busy itself as it will.

Another great advantage that springs from the fixity of habits is found in the fact that, by means of this, our lives may make real progress. What we have gained is secured to us.

This fact applies to everything that we do, and to every relation of our lives. We can make a habit of honesty, of industry, of kindliness, of atttention, of courtesy, and of whatever we will. Indeed, Aristotle, one of the wisest men of antiquity, defined virtue as a habit of rightdoing.

Consider what power we have thus over our lives. We shape them to a large extent as we choose, and then, through habit, they tend to harden into the shape that we have given them, as the plaster hardens into the shape which the artist has chosen.

The matter has, very obviously, another side. Bad habits form as readily as good ones. I am not sure that they do not form more readily than good ones, because virtues require more effort than faults. We drift into faults; but to make the best life we have to take control of it and guide it.

Indeed, a bad habit is the last thing that most of us are afraid of.  We think that we are acting always from our own choice, that it is no matter what we do now, because another time, whenever we wish, we can do differently. But all the while a certain habit is forming and hardening, until at last we find ourselves almost helpless. Thus, even our tastes, our amusements, our selection of books, the tendency even of our most secret thoughts, are becoming fixed, and we are becoming permanently the persons we meant to be only for the moment.

If the artist takes such pains with the plaster that he is forming, so that it may harden into a shape of beauty, what care should we take of the habits which are to effect so strongly and permanently our bodies, our minds and our hearts.

NUTRITION

In my opnion, if you want to lose weight, stop eating white bread, drinking pop and eating white potatoes. No chips either.  It's hard at first but once you start eating healthy, the momentum keeps you eating healthy. Just thinking about a Big Mac right now makes my Stomach do backflips, Ugh!

A Typical Day of Eating (for me)

• I only eat High Glycemic Carbs immediately upon waking and immediately after workouts.

Reasoning: High Glycemic Carbs provoke an Insulin reaction.

Insulin -  A highly anabolic hormone, insulin regulates the permeability of cell membranes and facilitates the transport of glucose and other substances into the cell. This function is crucial for recovery from training, since depleted glucose and amino acids must be replaced so that comprehensive recovery processes can occur. Insulin remains one of the most abundant, potent and easily manipulated anabolic hormones.

It is for this reason that you want to include some from of High Glycemic Carb after your workout.

During the night, after fasting for 8 hours, your body is starving for fuel in the morning.  Drinking Whey Protein shake and eating a High Glycemic carb will halt the Catabolic process if it is taking place. 

I eat breakfast 30 minutes after this.

Breakfast - approx 7:30 am

my breakfast is always the same but I mix it up with green peppers or onions or whatever leftover meat I have from Dinner night before.

• 3 Eggs,
  • Shiitake Mushrooms fried in Coconut Oil (for healthy fats)
  • Hemp Seeds (fats),
  • 1/2 Cup Oatmeal (for energy to perform daily workout)
  • with Chia Seeds (more fats; superfood)
  • 1/4 cup cheese in eggs. 
  • Sweet peppers chopped and stirred in.
  • 1 glass of Milk

Mid-morning Snack - approx 9:30

I usually choose from the following.

• 1 cup cottage cheese
  • Peanut Butter and Jelly on Whole Grain
  • Leftovers from Dinner

Pre-workout Buildup (30 min prior) - approx 11:00

I usually start psyching myself up telling myself I'm about to lift weights. It's a mental thing that helps get you going. Think about what you want to look like in the end. You're only spending about 4 hours in the gym per week. Anyone can do that.

• 1 Apple
  • 1 scoop Whey Protein Shake (Optimum Nutrition)
  • 5 grams Creatine
  • 1.6 grams Beta Alanine
  • Jacked (pre-workout supplement for caffiene)

Post-workout Shake - approx 12:30 pm

• 1 scoop Whey Protein
  • 1 scoop Casein Protein
  • blended in 2 cups water
  • 5 grams creatine in water (separate)
  • 1.6 grams Beta Alanine (with creatine shake)
  • High Glycemic carbs - Pineapples, Cantelope, Bananas, etc.

How many Carbs to consume in postwork out meal?

Formula - 0.8 x lean bodyweight in kilograms (Kg = pounds /2.2)

I weigh 225 lbs / 2.2 = 102 x 0.8 = 81.6 g Carbs (example 1 medium Banana = 97 g)

30 minutes after workout - Meal - approx 1 pm

I'll choose from the following meats

• 4 oz chicken (breaded in Flax Seed)
  • 4 oz pork (breaded in Flax Seed)
  • 4 oz flank steak (prepared as fajitas)
  • Turkey lunchmeat (on whole wheat)
  • Turkey burgers (on whole wheat)

and Carbs

• Sweet Potatoe (actually a low glycemic carb)
  • Japanese Buckwheat Noodles

plus

• 1/2 cup cottage cheese
  • Celery dipped in Peanut Butter

60 Minutes after workout meal -  approx 2 pm

Same or variation of above. Plus

• Handful of Mixed Nuts

Dinner - approx 5:30

Eat whatever you like, cook a bunch in advance for easy meals the following day. But no high glycemic carbs in this meal.  I eat a lot of Broccoli and Carrots and other fibrous veggies in the evening.

Before Bed - approx 9 pm

• 1 Scoop Casein Protein (Optimum Nutrition)
  • with Milk
  • Melatonin (supplement to help sleep and is an anti-oxidant)

This food list is far from complete but gives you a general template of what I'm eating, when and why.

TO BE CONTINUED...

Glycemic Index Chart for Reference

30985652_1369530357.png

THE SCIENCE OF BODYBUILDING

In the beginning, it doesn't matter what you do. You're going to see results.  This is part of the reason there are so many programs available (p90x, Insanity, etc). They all take advantage of the fact that most people doing it, are newbs who are going to see results anyway.

Everyone has a Genetic Potential.  As you workout, and make gains, you will start to approach that Potential. As you get closer, it will be harder and harder to make gains week by week and you'll need to focus on month by month and/or longer training periods.  This starts to get into advanced Periodization techniques which we really don't need to discuss at this moment.

There are 4 types or stages to this development towards Genetic Potential.

1. Beginner
  2. Intermediate
  3. Advanced
  4. Elite

For most of us, we'll fall into 1 or 2 categories.  The intermediate stage basically ends when you are no longer making gains in the gym (meaning you can't just add more weight than you did the prior week).  

Beginners can focus on Linear Progression for quite some time before having to switch things up. As long as you are performing more weight than the prior week that means you put on more muscle and your body has adapted.

TO BE CONTINUED...

~references~ Practical Programming for Strength Training - Mark Rippetoe

EXERCISE ROUTINES

Rather than give my own tips on how to start or tell you what I did, I'd like to refer you to a man named Jim Stoppani.

Jim holds a doctorate in exercise physiology and has been the personal nutrition and health consultant for numerous celebrity clients, such as LL Cool J, Dr. Dre, Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson, and more.

jim-stoppani.jpg

Background

Jim Stoppani received his doctorate in exercise physiology with a minor in biochemistry from the University of Connecticut. Following graduation, he served as a postdoctoral research fellow in the prestigious John B. Pierce Laboratory and Department of Cellular and Molecular Physiology at Yale University School of Medicine, where he investigated the effects of exercise and diet on gene regulation in muscle tissue.

He was awarded the Gatorade Beginning Investigator in Exercise Science Award in 2002 by the American Physiological Society for his groundbreaking research. Currently Jim runs his own fitness website www.jimstoppani.com.

He has written thousands of articles on exercise, nutrition and health and is author of Encyclopedia of Muscle & Strength (Human Kinetics, 2006), co-author of the New York Times Bestseller, LL Cool J's Platinum 360 Diet and Lifestyle (Rodale, 2010), co-author of the book Stronger Arms & Upper Body (Human Kinetics, 2008), and co-author of the chapter "Nutritional Needs of Strength/Power Athletes" in the textbook Essentials of Sports Nutrition and Supplements (Humana Press, 2008). Dr. Stoppani is the creator of the Platinum 360 Diet as found in the book, LL Cool J's Platinum 360 Diet and Lifestyle (Rodale, 2010) and creator of the diet program found in the book, Mario Lopez's Knockout Fitness (Rodale, 2008).

Dr. Stoppani has been the personal nutrition and health consultant for numerous celebrity clients, such as LL Cool J, Dr. Dre, Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, and Mario Lopez, and has appeared on the NBC television show Extra as an Extra LifeChanger and as a science expert on the Spike television shows Jesse James is a Dead Man and MANswers.

Credentials out of the way. He has several programs available. I am currently in the middle of his Shortcut to Size program, which uses Microcycles and Periodization.  Not something a beginner really needs to think about right now.  But good news, he also has a Beginner to Advanced program that is 12 weeks long.  I didn't find Jim until after I was well into my program, however, if I had, I would have done this program, certainly.

Rather than copy and paste everything over to hear, I'll just provide the link.  You'll find videos of how to do the exercises as well as workout logs to print off so you can keep track of your progress.  YOU MUST WRITE it down, when you exercise. How much weight. How many reps. So the following workout, you can see what you did and put on more weight or do more reps. This is the linear progression I'm talking about. As long as you're doing more weight, you're making progress.  It feels good to get stronger week by week.

Let me know if you have any questions.

There are 4 phases, each lasting 3 weeks. The way its outlined is for a good progression from beginner and on.  When you click on the phases, there are a list of exercises; clicking on these will show a video of how to do the exercise.  AT the bottom of the list of exercises you will see a pdf link. That's the workout log.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/beginner-to-advanced-bodybuilder-in-12-weeks.html

Remember to take a Day 1 Picture so you can compare your transformation. Document your weight as well.

YOGA

Exercising with weights means you are continually contracting your muscles. For this reason, I perform a Power Yoga routine once or twice per week to help with flexibilty and stretch my muscles.

There are many different types of Yoga. I settled on Power Yoga because its geared more towards Strength, in addition to Flexibility.  Also, it works your Core, which also helps in the Weight Training department.

When I first started, I could only do 20 minutes of this routine; so don't be discouraged.  You will find that upon completion of your first full routine, you will feel calm and at peace with the world and everyone in it.  Not kidding here.

Additional Power Yoga - Definitely watch the introduction for an explanation. Use this information going into subsequent other videos I post here.

This is the one I do. I can't stress enough how positively this has affected my life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLi93EIHx5o

PRODUCT REVIEWS

Fat Gripz

These things work!  They slide right over your regular barbell or dumbbells. Make sure that the opening is facing up if you are pulling and facing toward you on pushing movements; so there is no accident slippage.  But these are very sturdy and "grippy" so I doubt this would happen; best to be safe though.

Because of the bigger grip, your forearms end up doing more work than usual and this will help increase your grip strength. Grip strength is important because as you progress up in weight, you will start to find the need to be able to hold heavier weights and if you can't hold them, you can't continue to progress. The day after using these for the first time, my forearms were sore.  Your body wants to grow in proportion to its other muscles. If you don't work on all of your muscles, the ones you do workout will stop growing eventually.  So if you want bigger arms, workout your forearms too.  Your chest will only so big in relation to your back.  Your upper body only so big in relation to your lower body.

I love these things.  I use them on Dumbbell Shrugs, Barbell Curls and Deadlifts.

img18.jpg

SUPPLEMENTS

I didn't start using supplements until a full 6 months into my program. My reasoning here is as I stated above. As a beginner, I was gonna make gains no matter what. It's not until later that you need that additional push.

There are a ton of supplements out there, some are bullshit, some are based on real science.  Here is a list of what I take, why and when. 

Links provided on where to buy for good deals.

Creatine

Beta Alanine

Morning Supplements

Flax Seed Oil - for Omega 3,6,9

Gingko Biloba - 60 mg - 3 x per day

According to some studies, ginkgo can significantly improve attention in healthy individuals.[46][47]

In one such study, the effect was almost immediate and reaches its peak 2.5 hours after the intake.[48]

One study suggests ginkgo's purported effect on cognition may be attributable to its inhibitory effect on norepinephrine reuptake.

http://www.puritan.com/puritans-pride-brand-0102/ginkgo-biloba-60-mg-007654?scid=26529

Choline Bitartrate

Choline supplements are often taken as a form of 'smart drug' or nootropic, due to the role the neurotransmitter acetylcholine plays in various cognition systems within the brain. Choline is a chemical precursor or "building block" needed to produce acetylcholine, and research suggests that memory, intelligence, and mood are mediated at least in part by acetylcholine metabolism in the brain.[44]

Yohimbe - 2000 mg - 2 hours before workout - gives increased energy, purported to aid with fat loss

!Warning! - this product will cause huge erections. For fun, surprise the Wife and don't tell her you took something. She will notice the change. :lol: makes you have full body orgasims too!

http://www.puritan.com/puritans-pride-brand-0102/yohimbe-2000-mg-006351?scid=26529

T-X3 - main ingredient - D Aspartic Acid. - Increases Testosterone levels

There are many products that contain this ingredient but I chose this one because it has the exact amounts of the product listed; instead of being labeled as "propietary blend" AKA "you don't know what ratios of what is in it"

Try to stay away from any product that has "propietary blends"

D-AA is formed when the enzyme aspartate racemase converts an L-Aspartic Acid into D-AA in the testes and glands. It is one of 20 proteinogenic amino acids, which are the building blocks of proteins. It was discovered in 1827 by Plisson, a French pharmacist, by boiling asparagus and treating it with hydrochloric acid. (Crazy, right?)

One human study testing D-Aspartic Acid suggested that the amino acid boosted testosterone and luteinizing hormone release when taken over a 12-day period.

D-Aspartic Acid is found naturally in the testes, pituitary gland and hypothalamus, all of which are involved in hormone production. The study found that D-AA has a role in the regulation of the release and synthesis of LH and testosterone in humans.

I have been taking it for 2 weeks now and I can tell you that I've noticed an increase in aggression as well as a side effect of some acne.  Strength gains in the gym are coming very easily now.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DS19LPI/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Whey Protein

This is a must have addition to your program. I drink a shake upon waking, before and after workouts and sometimes on the go if I don' t have a meal ready.

optimum-nutrition-wheyproteinreview.jpg

Cheap on Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/Optimum-Nutrition-Standard-Natural-Vanilla/dp/B000GIURM2/ref=sr_1_3?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1377578583&sr=1-3&keywords=whey+protein+optimum+nutrition

Casein Protein

Casein is a slower digesting protein so its more suited to drinking right before you go to sleep. I also use after workouts.

Optimum_Nutrition_Gold_Standard_100_Case

Cheap on Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/Optimum-Nutrition-Protein-Chocolate-Supreme/dp/B002DYJ0M0/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1377578758&sr=1-1&keywords=casein+protein+optimum+nutrition

Green Tea Extract - for weight loss and more - 500mg - 1000mg - 3x per day

The biochemical properties of green tea extracts can be generally divided into four aspects – antioxidant, anticarcinogen, anti-inflammatory, and anti-radiation.

Green tea extracts exhibit stronger antioxidant protection for human body than vitamin C and vitamin E. Scavenging effect of lipid free-radicals (one antioxidant property) of polyphenols in green tea extracts can be clearly observed in experiments.[7] The ability of GTP in green tea extracts to eliminate lipid-derived free radicals is noticeably stronger (almost 50 times) than that of ginkgo biloba extracts.[7]

Further investigations indicate that the boosting level of superoxide dismutase (SOD) and glutathione dismutase (GSHPx) may account for the inhibitory effect of GTC against lipid oxidation (rancidification) It should be mentioned that from the antioxidant perspective, green tea extracts are, generally speaking, more effective than black tea extracts due to the better preservation of catechins.

Moreover, the anticarcinogenic property make the green tea extracts a hotspot in recent scientific researches. In many experiments, green tea extracts show inhibitory effects on cancer cells. In vitro assays, catechin and caffeine, which are main components in green tea extracts, block the cell cycle of cancer cells (cytotoxicity) and induce programmed cell death; in vivo, green tea extracts also inhibit prostatic carcinoma transplanted in nude mice.[7]

In addition, green tea extracts also contain a wide-ranged anti-inflammatory characteristics, so it may be helpful in treating chronic inflammatory states.[1]

Green tea extracts show anti-radiation properties on white rats in radioactive isotope experiments.[7]

http://www.puritan.com/puritans-pride-brand-0102/green-tea-standardized-extract-500-mg-018166?scid=26529

Product Reviews

coming soon

PERSONAL PROGRESS PHOTOS

warning: self pic follows :)

DSCI0471.JPG

DSCI0472.JPG

Where is DrDiamond?

Keep calm and question nothing.

Lookin good bud. Need to get some sun on that lilly white chest though lol ;) I won't comment too much though about how ya look for fear of Tommy taking it to the "out of context" thread and making it look like some sort of man love thing LMFAO

I've been doing good the past year as well. Still been able to keep the 150lbs I lost off and even allow myself a few treats here and there. Just have to get back into working out though. I'm thinking about putting a bench press back behind the wall in the basement shop so I can work out a bit between rod work in the shop maybe.

Damn dude, 150 lbs is quite an accomplishment. I remember seeing your thread about that but I didn't realize it was that much. Good job!

I have learned that exercise is all about Momentum. Once you get going, you tend to keep going. Once you stop, same thing.  It takes about 4 weeks to get the ball rolling because that's when you start noticing your body changing.  And thus positive reinforcement.

Maybe I can spray tan? lol  That might be douchebag territory though

39ARealLiveDouchebag.jpg

Once you get going, you tend to keep going. Once you stop, same thing.

True words there, I found that out as well. When I start walking/jogging after about a week or doing it I find myself doing it sometimes 2-3 times per day. Yet if I slack off and doing do it for a week then it takes me at least 2 weeks to get back into the swing of it.

Yea it was about 150lbs I lost when I had that thread going. Started out about 400lbs and over the course of 7 months dropped down to 248lbs. But with all the walking and exercise I put about 10 lbs back on which I think it more or less muscle in my legs from all the leg work outs I was doing. So right now I'm about 258lbs (6'6"). I would like to drop another 25lbs and then work on my upper body more to gain a few more lbs of muscle in the chest and shoulders.

Man I need to get a new keyboard, the letters are wearing off on this one from being so old and it's typo city in my posts lately lol. When you get a chance to post some stuff shoot me some info on what chest workouts you do because that's where I want to focus on in my program when I get it started.

So glad you started this up again Lee, I don't need to lose anywhere as much as you did Steve start weight 228lbs asond I'm 6ft tall, started by cutting alcohol and calories and joined a gym however my weight has been quite stagnant over the last few months but its probably as much to do with this time of year being my busiest for weekends away with friends asond I've swapped cardio for weights I just completed a 2 week detox where I've actually eaten more and obviously done way less cardio than I was previously doing and I've dropped 8 lbs in these 2 weeks.

My weight went back up to 216 So to now get it under 210 in 2 weeks is pretty good for me especially with also working permant nights a normal meal plan really is difficult to follow.

My goal really at the moment is to get down to 200 and still continue to see changes in my body shape.

Look forward to reading any info and how people are doing.

Oh and that is stonking facial hair!

So glad you started this up again Lee, I don't need to lose anywhere as much as you did Steve start weight 228lbs asond I'm 6ft tall, started by cutting alcohol and calories and joined a gym however my weight has been quite stagnant over the last few months but its probably as much to do with this time of year being my busiest for weekends away with friends asond I've swapped cardio for weights I just completed a 2 week detox where I've actually eaten more and obviously done way less cardio than I was previously doing and I've dropped 8 lbs in these 2 weeks.

My weight went back up to 216 So to now get it under 210 in 2 weeks is pretty good for me especially with also working permant nights a normal meal plan really is difficult to follow.

My goal really at the moment is to get down to 200 and still continue to see changes in my body shape.

Look forward to reading any info and how people are doing.

Oh and that is stonking facial hair!

exercise is a catalyst for FAT loss, its all about diet.

- weights before cardio (if you have to do cardio at all !)..the more muscle mass you put on, the more your base metabolic requirements go up ie you burn more calories as muscle is "expensive" to maintain and requires alot of fuel.

- if youve stalled on your weight loss then you need to look at the diet again.

- go at register on the myprotein forums. search for Diamond Head. message me, and ill send you some links made by the people over there. they are alot more knowledgeable than me and will set you on the right track

Ri855cK.gif

Chookes said:

I absoloutely prefer it this way. You have overall more control. You can finish one guy off first, or all ten

Cheers for that Adam when I get back on a real computer I will sort it .

The detox I did is a low carb detox I have really only been eating fresh meat,eggs, fish and veg to get into a low carb diet.

I cut the cardio basically I use it now only as a quick warm up and I'm getting into using more free weights rather than just the machines.

Adam is right, exercise is a catlyst for weight loss and its all about diet. However, I started at 245lbs going into this. I'm down to 225lbs now.  I have never done Cardio.  I workup a good heart rate just lifting weights, usually around 140-150 bpm.  The reason for this is because I only take 1:00 to 1:30 minute breaks between sets.  I use a stopwatch to keep my workout on schedule. 

I'm working on the OP right now. More to follow there.

I've only ever taken Creatine and back in the 80's Joe Weiders Protein powder. Is there a reason you take all those you take? Just wondering because I'ver been thining about starting back on a plan of some myself but wanted to see what was the "good" stuff to actually take now a days.

Well, you can ask anyone, Creatine and Whey protein are no brainers.  If those were the only supplements you used, you would be fine.

I like the nootropic effect of choline and gingko biloba. It really makes me feel like my brain is clicking.

Flax seed is important because I'm not eating fish (which everyone should stop eating immediately because of the Fukushima disaster)

I like the Sexual effect for Yohimbe.

Beta Alanine helps you towards the end of your workout because you have more endurance and can push out that last part. Especially as you progress, your workouts get intense, because you're lifting more weight.  Creatine helps with this too.

Supplements are a minefield I've been looking into adding to the whey protein that I've been using along with omega3.

I've recently added magnesium and with working nights vit d especially as I really suffer in the winter and hoped it might help.

Is creatine something that should be introduced at any particular level of training or from the start?

People that work 3rd shift should take Melatonin. You can read about it if you like, but its important. It's cheap and natural too so its a no brainer for me.  Our bodies release Melatonin when it gets dark. Because you work when its night and sleep during the day, your body doesn't release as much as it should. It's an important hormone that helps prevent Cancer.

I wouldn't bother taking Creatine until you have 6 months of lifting weights under your belt.  But that's just my advice.