FG Mobile App

As you all know we've recently been scratching our heads in order to find a way to boost communication on the forum, whilst also keeping features that we love in apps like WhatsApp.

I think we all understand that accessing a forum and creating a new post or replying to a post isn't quite as convenient as sending a quick instant message in WhatsApp, so we need to find a way of amalgamating that convenience along with our lovely little forum, which let's face it, for a clan forum is bloody good.

@Misneach_, @GazzaGarratt and I have been discussing this in fairly loose detail and we've come to the conclusion that it would be prudent to run this by you all before we go into any real detail.

What we've found is that the only app currently available either on the Play Store or the App Store is our current app, which is a hybrid of tapatalk (a premium solution) which gives general usage of the current forum. From what we can see (and please if you have suggestions let us know) is that there isn't anything out there which gives all of the functionality we need.

What we (think) we need is an App which gives the same as TapaTalk, but also integrate events, clubs, live chat and various other features we'd like in order to easily run the clan effectively from smartphones.

Now, here comes the potentially interesting bit. If there isn't anything out there, then there's a gap in the App market. We could potentially both fulfill our technical needs of an App which works for us, but also (and this is a loose potential at the moment), create a marketable App which we could sell. Now, without doing a feasibility study, business case, etc on this it's difficult to really put that into anything meaningful.

This is where you all come in. What are your thoughts?

We'd like to get people involved in this. We're a pretty mixed and intelligent bunch of project managers, technical people, and... Americans, so there's definitely scope there for us to collaborate and put our heads together to put a solution together. But this is very much dependent on a thorough feasibility study/business case in order to ensure we're not completely wasting our time.  

What I would propose for a timeline:

- Have a quick open discussion with key players in the clan to talk about why we want to do the app, what we'd like. It's an opportunity to shut the idea down or push forward with the same. <1hr

- Run a complete feasibility study outlining costs, current competition and potential issues which are foreseeable. Also to align on ideas and decide on a plan to move forward with.

- Put together a project timeline and delegate tasks.

- The rest is dependent on the above being successful and involves development, marketing, research, funding etc etc.

Anyway, let's get some discussion going on this. There seems at least on the face of it to be a potential small business opportunity here.

Mike, Lee and Matt.

14 minutes ago, tronic44 said:

I’m well up for this, don’t know much about creating apps but more than happy to throw ideas in the pot during the discussion and be involved.

Sounds great, I'll put you down for the discussion!

I can't say I've done any app development, other than a few barely remembered lectures/tutorials at university, but it is something I was going to get round to looking at especially since there are a few parallels it seems between developing with C#/WPF which I'm currently doing and developing with Android.

I don't want to say I'll be fully committed to this as I have my hands full with work (with a lot of continuous development happening and learning on the job), but it's certainly something I can provide input on at least, even in just a theoretical way.

Via the FG App

1562265543_Starletlogsig.png.19b3c199efb193f2f7d11a161bf5a2d6.png

Pretty much the same for me. More than happy to throw some ideas into the ring but I have zero clues when it comes to app development although I'd be happy to support from a project management side. But judging by Mike's OP I think he's already got that covered 😂😂

Hi All

I wanted to let this topic sit over the weekend and see what kind of reaction we get.

It seems like it's worth investigating further from those who have replied so let's put together a calendar event to go through some more detail.

I'll open it up to the whole clan and try and control the chit chat somehow!

Mike, as usual I’ll be working until 4:00pm my time which means about 9:00 pm for you boys. Can we either push it back to 10:00 your time or I’m fine with you just filling me in on the deets later. If I can’t make it just think American- Bigger is better, football 🏈, and #mybuttonisbiggerandmorepowerful.

3 hours ago, Mikepjbell said:

Sorry I've dropped the ball on this -I'll try get something in the calendar again!

Apologies for not making the last meeting, double booked and didn't realise until the last minute.

Stick another date up and i'll make sure i'm there.