D1 v D2 pvp

techno

If you ever watch the live streams of Bungie Dev's in PVP, you will see that they absolutely hated it. Mainly because they sucked at it.

IF The Devs were actually better at playing the game they designed, we wouldn't have half the issues we do now.

Luke 23:34
'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

It was the most disappointing thing to find out when we watched the E3 showings.  I was gutted. Not because PvP is shit - hilariously I've always enjoyed PvP on Destiny more than CoD and sometimes OW, but more because it leaves the only 6 player mode as the raid. That truly sucks.

4v4 does work for SnD mode and Mayhem isn't as clusterfucky and unplayable as it was in D1 but having a team of 6 on control was one of the most fun things I looked forward to.

Btw, team sizes is on the list of developments called out over Christmas by Bungie that they know is an issue and looking into it.

My fingers,toes and balls are crossed to hear next week in the development update that we hear about any change to a 6 player PvP or PvE mode outside raids.

D1 PvP was broken but ultimately it was fun, that's been lost as usual by the decision to try and get it into competitive esports rather than, if they must chase that dream, splitting it into pubs and ranked playlists.

Destiny PvP for me has always suffered in that it's a bit pointless. I'm currently grinding through CoD prestiges and challenges quite happily and the goal of having stuff to do is such a big draw. At least in D1 there was grimoire score to play for , D2 doesn't even have that. 

This is was why Iron Banner was so popular, just the goal of hitting level 5 and buying ( yes buying, not RNGing) weapons with good rolls, and armour with great stats, easily made IB the best thing in D1 PvP. How did Bungie not recognise that?

6v6 plays better than 4v4, just less team killing and more individual skill. As for not having dedicated game mode play lists in D2, that's beyond crap.

The natural thing for Bungie to do was follow R6 and Overwatch with ranked seasons, but that would have required effort, so no way. And the chance to improve trials to make it more accessible and fun for all was missed. 

So D1 PvP beats D2, but only cos of Iron Banner, both of them are pretty poor examples of PvP

PVP in Destiny is really weak because the developers don't have a clue what they want from the aspect or how to push it. They already know that the playlists aren't going to draw competitive play or have widespread appeal but it feels like they just included the mode as an afterthought and not bothered to attract players from the core of the game. It's basically 4v4 with no real variety on a deathmatch format that is growing more stale when compared to current MP games. Even the Halo games still have more meat in the multiplayer from a decade ago than what Destiny 2 has today which is another dismal factor.

If they are to make multiplayer viable; they have to make it worthwhile and ultimately attract competitive players. Right now it's just purely casual which is fine but the fact it's also half-arsed doesn't really inspire people to play so if they want a MP experience; they'll play something else that's rewarding rather than bland and not very satisfying. Has to be 6v6 for starters. 

I'm with Bob that it lacks an objective to D2 PvP. Having bounties like Gary said this was missing was helpful but clearly the grind of one milestone for the week is not enough. Even if they left it the same and just added a book like Age of Triumph had would make it better immediately.

Bungie have always tried to make this game a jack of all trades but its smelling master of fuck all. Their PvE side has always outweighed the PvP side and I wouldn't mind them focusing on that side more heavily but I can't see it happening.

I'm predicting a 6v6 mode to back within Q1 2018.