Game of the Year 2017

Game-of-the-Year-2017.png

What’s your personnel GOTY for 2017?

At the moment, mine is Horizon Zero Dawn.  

Share, debate and let’s settle the GOTY 2017 for FG.

*The opinions of Riff Machine do not reflect those of Forever Gaming ;)*

Not been a great year for gaming in all honesty but there's been a few gems. PUBG has proved to be a revolution and hugely popular. Divinity Original Sin 2 is an absolute RPG masterpiece. Even Resident Evil 7 from way back in January deserves credit for how well it's thrived and delivered throughout the entire year. I don't own them but Breath of the Wild and Odyseey are in a different league but in terms of a game owned and played I'd probably have to give it to Divinity Original Sin 2 because of how incredibly well-produced it is in every way.  Hellblade and Cuphead also deserve huge credit. 

Multiplayer: it's a niche game still in early access, but Escape From Tarkov for me, closely followed by 7 Days.

Single player: Mass Effect: Andromeda

^ok that's a joke, no single player game caught my imagination, though I've finally started the Last of Us

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

First year when I look at my games and struggle to choose as there isn't anything standoutish.

That said, Zelda on the Switch is incredible for a single player game. In fact as a console the Switch is fastly becoming a real player to rival ps4 and xbox for a change.

Don't think there's any MP game I can say is great this year.

Not played but also hearing good things about Assassin's Creed Origins.

The Switch will never compete with Ps4 or Xbox, and I love that Nintendo doesn't even try to. They cater to their fans and leave it at that. 

Luke 23:34
'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

The Switch will never compete with Ps4 or Xbox, and I love that Nintendo doesn't even try to. They cater to their fans and leave it at that. 

I see your point. However, in a really good way, the public are starting to buy a switch instead of ps4 and xbox.

The final stage of seeing major 3rd party developers support a Nintendo product is great to see. Even if I don't love them like Sega.

L.A. Noire on Switch is a great move.

The Switch has sold roughly 7.5 million units (Nintendo Estimates they will sell a total of 10 million for the lifetime of the switch in the first year)

The Wii U sold about 13.5 Million units

The Wii sold just under 101.63 million Units

Not really sure what to say there. Yes the Switch is a new system, but will it top the lifetime sales of the Wii? I don't know. I don't think people really care about the Switch as much as people enjoy the hype and are excited for the "idea" of the Switch. 

Comparison:

The PS4 has sold roughly 65.5 million units (In the second quarter of this year, the PS4 sold just under 5 million units, Sony hasn't really released a projection for the year)

The Xbone has sold roughly 30 million units (Can't find a projection or a quarterly breakdown on Forbes)

Forbes was the source for this.

'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

The Switch has sold roughly 7.5 million units (Nintendo Estimates they will sell a total of 10 million for the lifetime of the switch in the first year)
The Wii U sold about 13.5 Million units
The Wii sold just under 101.63 million Units

Not really sure what to say there. Yes the Switch is a new system, but will it top the lifetime sales of the Wii? I don't know. I don't think people really care about the Switch as much as people enjoy the hype and are excited for the "idea" of the Switch. 

Comparison:
The PS4 has sold roughly 65.5 million units (In the second quarter of this year, the PS4 sold just under 5 million units, Sony hasn't really released a projection for the year)
The Xbone has sold roughly 30 million units (Can't find a projection or a quarterly breakdown on Forbes)

Forbes was the source for this.

Not sure myself but the hype/interest from people who I speak to at work and in the UK is that they are glad they bought one and know many families that seem to be jumping for a switch rather than a ps4.

I never said they'd beat sony and microsoft at their game but for once I feel like they have a kit that can finally be comparable to the other consoles, more because of the options of how you can play with a switch. They already own 2 of the top 5 games this year.

1 hour ago, GazzaGarratt said:

They already own 2 of the top 5 games this year.

Thats a pretty big deal and hopefully that trend continues.  The only reason I use my Xbone is for multiplayer.  There are a lot of non multiplayer games or campaigns that I would like to play, but rarely do I want to do that in my game room.  Hard to explain I guess, but it takes a stupidly ridiculous game to pull me away from halo or battlefield.  Even playing Black Flag, I was always being pulled back to halo.  I just don't like playing non multiplayer games on my Xbox.  If the switch got games like Skyrim, God of war, Assassins creed, Dishonored, Fable, bioshock, etc that shit would win me over in a heartbeat.  Its all about the games though and right now there isn't enough available on the switch to make me buy it.  I already had a Wii U so I bought BOTW for that.

Fortnite for me.  It's a free game that has many layers.  The more you play the better you get.  It's got that "one more go" factor that has been missing recently.

Also 7 days to die has been particularly fun.

20 hours ago, crispymorgan said:

I shall also buy a monkeybike......

The Game Awards 2017 Winners
  • Game of the Year - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch)
  • Best Game Direction - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch)
  • Best Narrative - What Remains of Edith Finch (PC)
  • Best Art Direction - Cuphead (PC/Xbox One)
  • Best Score / Music - NieR: Automata (PS4, Xbox One, PC)
  • Best Audio Design - Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice (PC)
  • Best Performance - Melina Juergens, Hellblade (PC)
  • Games for Impact - Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice (PC)
  • Best Ongoing Game - Overwatch (PC, PS4, Xbox One)
  • Best Independent Game - Cuphead (PC, Xbox One)
  • Best Mobile Game - Monument Valley 2 (Apple/Android)
  • Best Handheld Game - Metroid: Samus Returns (3DS)
  • Best VR/AR Game - Resident Evil 7: Biohazard (PC, PS4)
  • Best Action Game - Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus (PC, PS4, Xbox One)
  • Best Action/Adventure Game - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch)
  • Best Role-Playing Game - Persona 5 (PS4)
  • Best Fighting Game - Injustice 2 (PS4, Xbox One, PC)
  • Best Family Game - Super Mario Odyssey (Switch)
  • Best Strategy Game - Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle (Switch)
  • Best Sports/Racing Game - Forza Motorsport 7 (Xbox One, PC)
  • Most Anticipated Game - The Last of Us Part II (PS4)
  • Best eSports Game - Overwatch (PC, PS4, Xbox One)
  • Best Debut Indie Game - Cuphead (MDHR Entertainment)

The only entries on there I disagree with are Injustice 2, and What Remains of Edith Finch

I didn't play Cuphead.