Football (Played with Feet)

Madjonny

Wenger’s gone!

Arsene Wenger is to leave Arsenal at the end of the season, ending a near 22-year reign as manager.

The Frenchman departs a year before his latest contract was due to expire.

The Gunners are sixth in the league and set to miss out on a top-four spot for the second straight season, with their hopes of reaching the Champions League resting on winning the Europa League.

Wenger, 68, won three Premier League titles and seven FA Cups, including the Double in 1998 and 2002.

"I am grateful for having had the privilege to serve the club for so many memorable years," said Wenger. "I managed the club with full commitment and integrity.

"To all the Arsenal lovers, take care of the values of the club."

Arsenal say a successor will be appointed "as soon as possible".

Arsenal majority shareholder Stan Kroenke described Friday's announcement as "one of the most difficult days we have ever had in all our years in sport".

He added: "One of the main reasons we got involved with Arsenal was because of what Arsene has brought to the club on and off the pitch.

"His longevity and consistency over such a sustained period at the highest level of the game will never be matched."

The American praised Wenger's "exceptional record", adding that he "transformed the identity of our club and of English football with his vision for how the game can be played".

Appointed on 1 October 1996, he is the Premier League's current longest-serving manager and has taken charge of a record 823 games.

But some fans have turned on the Frenchman over the past two seasons as a result of their league performances.

Sunday's 2-1 defeat at Newcastle was their 11th in the league this season, equalling their worst tally in a campaign under Wenger.

They are 33 points behind leaders Manchester City, who have 87 points, and the same number away from bottom side West Brom, who have 21.

Arsenal finished outside the top four last term for the first time since Wenger arrived at the club, and are now 14 points behind fourth-placed Tottenham, with five matches remaining.

They face Spanish side Atletico Madrid, who are second in La Liga, in the Europa League semi-finals, with the first leg on Thursday.

Wenger's ups and downs

Wenger won three Premier League titles and four FA Cups in his first nine seasons in charge.

In 2003-04, he became the first manager since 1888-89 to lead a team through an English top-flight season unbeaten.

But after winning the 2005 FA Cup, they waited another nine years - or 3,283 days - for their next silverware. It came as they beat Hull City to win the 2014 FA Cup, before winning the trophy again the following season.

Wenger won his seventh FA Cup last season, beating Chelsea 2-1 at Wembley, but finished 18 points behind Antonio Conte's Premier League champions.

His side have struggled in Europe since losing to Barcelona in 2006 Champions League final.

They were eliminated at the last-16 stage for the seventh successive season on their last appearance in the competition in 2017, losing 10-2 on aggregate to Bayern Munich.

In 2006, they moved into the £390m Emirates Stadium after leaving Highbury.

The Gunners have consistently spent less than their main Premier League rivals on new signings, but Wenger twice broke the club's transfer record this season.

France striker Alexandre Lacazette joined in the summer for £46.5m, while his final signing was Gabon striker Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang for £56m in January.

Who's next?

Former Borussia Dortmund manager Thomas Tuchel has already been linked with the job, while Wenger himself said former Arsenal midfielder Patrick Vieira "has the potential" to succeed him.

Tuchel is the favourite with the bookies at the moment, ahead of Germany boss Joachim Low and former Real Madrid, AC Milan and Chelsea manager Carlo Ancelotti.

"We have high ambitions to build on Arsene's remarkable tenure and to honour his vision by ensuring Arsenal competes for and wins the biggest and most important prizes in the game," added Kroenke.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43834283

fa91d1c7-2525-4709-a13b-ae6fabba557e.jpg

Thanks to Capn_Underpants for the artwork

Fuck off Phil. (Nothing personal, but I love Arsenal more than I like you :P )

I honestly hope the job goes to Tuchel. There's a lot of talk of Vieira, Henry and fucking Arteta... I really hope none of them gets the job. Maybe, just maybe Bergkamp, but my preferrances would be Tuchel or Simeone.

Overall I have mixed feelings about this. I'm sad because it's a loss not just for the club but for football in general. But it was also about damn time with how the results have been lately. Now my only hope is that whoever takes over gets the financial backing needed to compete in the league again, I mean honestly, how the fuck are you supposed to compete with United, City and Chelski with the money they toss around and you keep selling the best players? Hopefully the rumors from january about Özil signing a new contract are true and he'll stay and whoever takes over can get the best out of him, Auba and Lacazette. Wishlist for next season would be a replacement for Cech, (Please football gods, give me Oblak to Arsenal) an actual CDM and not a bunch of central mids who can't defend worth shit without getting red cards. And finally a world class centerback that can rotate with Koscielny and Mustafi so we don't have to watch Rob Holdings numerous mistakes, Mertesacker trying to run or Monreal playing CB and failing to head a single ball cause he's short as fuck.

Anyways, next season should be interesting.

Fuck off Phil. (Nothing personal, but I love Arsenal more than I like you [emoji14] )

I honestly hope the job goes to Tuchel. There's a lot of talk of Vieira, Henry and fucking Arteta... I really hope none of them gets the job. Maybe, just maybe Bergkamp, but my preferrances would be Tuchel or Simeone.

Overall I have mixed feelings about this. I'm sad because it's a loss not just for the club but for football in general. But it was also about damn time with how the results have been lately. Now my only hope is that whoever takes over gets the financial backing needed to compete in the league again, I mean honestly, how the fuck are you supposed to compete with United, City and Chelski with the money they toss around and you keep selling the best players? Hopefully the rumors from january about Özil signing a new contract are true and he'll stay and whoever takes over can get the best out of him, Auba and Lacazette. Wishlist for next season would be a replacement for Cech, (Please football gods, give me Oblak to Arsenal) an actual CDM and not a bunch of central mids who can't defend worth shit without getting red cards. And finally a world class centerback that can rotate with Koscielny and Mustafi so we don't have to watch Rob Holdings numerous mistakes, Mertesacker trying to run or Monreal playing CB and failing to head a single ball cause he's short as fuck.

Anyways, next season should be interesting.
Sol Campbell. Pleeeeeeassseee give it to him, that would be epic ;)

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

It's a weird end of the era. I loved the football he introduced but I suppose things needed to change. I just think Arsenal fans need to reset their expectations a little. They should've been ecstatic to win 2 major trophies in the past 3 years and they could still Europe's second biggest trophy.

In other news, if Blackburn win at Doncaster we are promoted back to the Championship! Tony Mowbray has worked wonders and we have the most exciting English forward seen for a while - Brad Dack. COYB

It's a weird end of the era. I loved the football he introduced but I suppose things needed to change. I just think Arsenal fans need to reset their expectations a little. They should've been ecstatic to win 2 major trophies in the past 3 years and they could still Europe's second biggest trophy.

In other news, if Blackburn win at Doncaster we are promoted back to the Championship! Tony Mowbray has worked wonders and we have the most exciting English forward seen for a while - Brad Dack. COYB
Good luck man, been watching Blackburn, that's been a really impressive season, a well earned promotion in a very tough league[emoji106]

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

7 hours ago, GazzaGarratt said:

Please can we have Mogga back??

7 hours ago, Plumbers Crack said:

Please can we have Mogga back??

You can fuck right off. Politely :D

In all seriousness though, I heard the link and he'd be out of his mind to leave us now. Not now after the squad is in such seriously good order.

6 hours ago, Baabcat said:

It seems we all agree, there is only one Tony Mowbray (Boro legend)

He will be a legend at 2 places now.

3 hours ago, GazzaGarratt said:

Didn't realise he was well respected at your place too?

Course we love him! What a way to sign off your playing career.....

Ipswich Town

He later moved on to Ipswich Town, where he played for five years, becoming the team captain. He scored an equalising goal in the 2000 Division One playoff final victory against Barnsley. Ipswich won the match 4–2 and secured promotion to the FA Premier League. This match was both Mowbray's Wembley debut and the last of his playing career.

Course we love him! What a way to sign off your playing career.....

Ipswich Town
He later moved on to Ipswich Town, where he played for five years, becoming the team captain. He scored an equalising goal in the 2000 Division One playoff final victory against Barnsley. Ipswich won the match 4–2 and secured promotion to the FA Premier League. This match was both Mowbray's Wembley debut and the last of his playing career.
Mick McCarthy leaving almost slipped under my radar. Who's lined up?

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

3 minutes ago, phil bottle said:

Mick McCarthy leaving almost slipped under my radar. Who's lined up?

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-news/33604/milne-considered-search-for-new-boss-to-run-past-end-of-season

Excerpt:-

Lincoln City boss Danny Cowley and Liverpool legend Steven Gerrard, who is understood to have held discussions with Evans, are currently the joint-favourites for the job at 5-1 with Bet Victor.

Paul Cook, whose Wigan side secured their return to the Championship at the weekend, is behind them at 6-1 with Tony Mowbray, whose Blackburn team now looks all but certain to join them, the fourth favourite at 10-1.

St Mirren’s Jack Ross, whose squad has already secured the Scottish Championship title, is fifth favourite at 16-1 along with VVV-Venlo’s Maurice Steijn, who has played down reports in Holland claiming he has already been lined up to take over at Heerenveen this summer.

i must admit I would prefer the Cowley brothers over Stevie G as I think he would view us as a steppingstone and Marcus Evans has been stung by a high profile ex-player before in the the shape of Roy “Mr Happy” Keane. Failing that, Tony Mowbray but I can’t see him leaving a club he’s just got promoted with....he would certainly have a load of love from the fans here though!

Kane's claiming it

mark-windham-tweet-e1524553361398.png?strip=all&quality=100&w=557&h=276&crop=1
I think you just committed treason there old son. Kane is royalty.
Dunno who he's standing next to though, did he get some posh bird up the duff?

Well done Blackburn :)

jeffersonclasswar.jpg