Destiny 2 In or Out?

J4MES OX4D

It's pretty much judgement week for Destiny 2 as players will have to decide whether they commit to the upcoming 'expansion' and the game with a long term view, or simply to get out now and not spend another penny and likely never play it again. 

I played the game for a solid two weeks and had a reasonable time but once I finished the campaign along with completing many other elements such as the adventures; I didn't feel motivated to play it again. Bungie also released a load of generic patch notes of alleged improvements and detailed a brief about the games future in a PR move to try and assure users their medicore game can be salvaged post-DLC once again.  A few media domains such as Gamespot even mooted that the DLC wasn't even very good whilst others said it would unlikely improve the core game as the offering wasn't substantial enough. For me; I cannot see myself returning.

The focus of Destiny 2's improvements seem to surround loot but for me the problem with the game is more regarding the overly-casual and repetitive nature plus lack of an engrossing narrative. The Curse of Osiris will likely add nothing apart from a few new locations to the current game plus a story strand that will probably go over people's heads. Earning loot is supposed to be the hook that keeps people playing Destiny 2 but irrespective of any changes that Bungie make; earning loot was not satisfying for me in the slightest because the lack of a difficulty and soulless combat just made everything simple and underwhelming. Nobody ever starts COD campaigns on recruit difficulty and no matter how many enemies you faced in D2; your status was never under threat. Even if you did die; there was no real consequence and you were always guranteed spoonfed loot that would slightly bolster your power. Even on the more high-end events that took a shedload of ammo rather than skill; earning higher tier loot just never felt like it was well earned. 

The story which is coming from the same studio (in name only) that created the Halo brand which has been huge for 15 years thanks to its characters, writing and development plus quality games. We actually got a 'story' in this game but even so; everything seemed so mediocre with only some fine humour from Cayde and Failsafe being memorable.  I intertwined the story through as many adventures and events as possible to drag it out so I wasn't lumbered with stacks of meaningless 'side' quests by the end. Even in doing that I found myself doing the same thing over and over against the same enemies over and over. I did a campaign mission on Titan and the very next and only two adventures available were in exactly the same locations! Nobody would play the same Halo mission 3 times in a row on the easiest difficulty and that's exactly how this game felt. 

Although my desire was almost extinguished last month to care about the future of the game; I was still interested in seeing what Bungie could do to improve things along with the DLC. It already didn't sit well with me that they'd gone two steps backwards after finishing strongly with the original game and a part of me questioned whether they deliberately ommitted aspects which they would then conveniantly add before the DLC to reel people into supporting the game long term with a 'game-changing' update. After the XP scaling drama of last week where Bungie played the usual PR card of 'we are unhappy with this....even though we created it and are just unhappy because we got caught out' plus this seemingly overwhelming patch of generic notes; I just can't see them ever drastically improving the game and I'm not willing to pay up to find out. They just don't deserve my money by virtue of how poor the core game has been IMO. 

I was hoping to play Destiny 2 for a good two years rather than two weeks and already many players have departed. I was reading that the game lost nearly 80% of players in under two months which didn't bode well for the PC release and I'm now one of those that have felt too underwhelmed to continue. There is also nothing unique about Destiny 2 - it's a 'social' shooter with heavily restricted and dated online elements and very bland features made by a company who are a shell of their former selves and backed by a very smart publisher who are experts in marketing and brand development. It doesn't do anything that Borderlands, Warframe and The Crew don't do.  Bungie's name, their engine and wonderful art team is what makes this game look and feel fantastic but everything else is a complete and utter mess. 

What is everyone elses thoughts on the upcoming material and is it enough to keep you engaged or will you simply walk away? 

You'll probably think its obvious for me to say 'of course I am' but it isn't that easy.

My Name is Byf put it very well in his recent video which I agree with most of it. I am not very happy either right now and I know the latest update whilst good to see in a reaction, clearly we know isn't a silver bullet. It's all about whether you have the patience to hold on and see what happens in the next 8-12 weeks and see if Bungie can deliver the goods constantly.

I'll be there for the fact it is still a decent solid game to run around in and ultimately one of the best games we have to party up with all FG members. I also really enjoy the lore so I want to know more and all I hope is that many other FG people just give it a look so we can try and party up a little more again over the Christmas period as we wait...but I also totally understand if people say, fuck it, and don't want to touch it.

Caustiously Optimistic.

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

Also bought tje dlc edition so guess I might play it more, but I don't have a massive urge to play it when the dlc drops. I have COD (barely), Wolfenstein, Warframe and gonna get the dlc for Horizon eventually.

I never got into the raids as it never fit my schedule so the social aspect of Destiny wasn't there as much.

I purchased the complete set so yes I will be playing it. To me the game is way off of Destiny One, however this game is easy enough to where you need maybe four hours a week to totally max out whatever the game has to offer. The grind, the old Destiny rush to raid is dead. However, the PC guys have really become a close knit group and as we play other games we still set aside one hour a week to do the Leviathan. 

I believe this patch coming up for 05 DEC and 12 DEC is a step into the right direction, but I don't expect anything from them anymore, nothing at all. This game is more in an anemic state right now more so than the franchise has ever been, and with the XP throttle stunt I've started putting them up there with the other scumbag companies. They have these expansions to prove themselves, if not I have no issue never coming back to the Destiny brand. I mean the only reason I gave 2 a shot was the PC release.

i7 7700k, 16GB RAM, GEFORCE 1080, 240GB SSHD, 2TB SSD

Honestly don’t think I can bring myself to buy it. Whilst there is some good things they are doing it’s pretty minor compared to the main issue that the game is a mile wide and an inch deep.Adding content without improving the depth doesn’t do much for me.

They should have created a DLC for the original game.  It's fucking weak man.  At least I felt like I had some attachment to the original.  

20 hours ago, crispymorgan said:

I shall also buy a monkeybike......

10 hours ago, crispymorgan said:

They should have created a DLC for the original game.  It's fucking weak man.  At least I felt like I had some attachment to the original.  

This is how I feel at the moment....I never thought I would play CoD in preference to Destiny! I doubt I’ll buy this DLC but if the next DLC is a major improvement I may jump back in again

fa91d1c7-2525-4709-a13b-ae6fabba557e.jpg

Thanks to Capn_Underpants for the artwork

15 hours ago, crispymorgan said:

From what everyone was saying; Destiny 2 feels more like DLC than a new game anyway:lol:

Although I didn't bother with the original; D2 in comparison certainly doesn't seem to be a step forward and the core game is supposedly even more inferior than the DLC of the original. 

18 hours ago, Baabcat said:

Honestly don’t think I can bring myself to buy it. Whilst there is some good things they are doing it’s pretty minor compared to the main issue that the game is a mile wide and an inch deep.Adding content without improving the depth doesn’t do much for me.

This is my position, the only reason to buy is to play with others .

So it would be good to look into some raid lair times and original raid runs as well. Who now has the DLC or is intending to buy it? Happy to help organise some but would be really helpful to know who wants to be involved. Btw, same goes for strikes, adventures, trials, and anything else.

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

10 hours ago, GazzaGarratt said:

So it would be good to look into some raid lair times and original raid runs as well. Who now has the DLC or is intending to buy it? Happy to help organise some but would be really helpful to know who wants to be involved. Btw, same goes for strikes, adventures, trials, and anything else.

I said I'd buy to play with others and a break from Cod so count me in @GazzaGarratt especially over the Christmas break.