Apparently a COD dev admitted some problems will never be fixed.

MrBiron

I'm not sure how true this is but it kinda makes sense. Every year we have the same issues. And I find it hard to believe they wouldn't get fixed if they could be fixed. So we'll be stuck with the same problems until we get an ACTUAL new game engine. 

fart.gif

Funny how games like MW2 ran flawlessly on P2P with over 1.5m online at any given time on an old ID Tech engine! 

The damning problem with this game, Call of Duty and Sledgehammer as a whole now is that Skill-based matchmaking has taken priority over connection-based matchmaking with artifical lag compensation working to scale back users connections through fabricated means so they are on par with the weakest one in the lobby. In the eyes of Activision; this is supposed to make things a fair experience especially if everyone in the lobby is on the same skillset. This comes at the expense of connection which is totally illogical and unheard of for a multiplayer game. 

I'd rather have connection-led P2P matchmaking with a host as at least it is just one user having an advantage against 11 other suitably connected users within a reasonable locale. At least the end-user was responsible for their internet quality and you could trust the matchmaking to put you in a lobby which was approrpriate within a sensible geographical location. Host advantage wasn't ideal but it's best to have just one player in this case rather than all 12 playing at a disadvantage. 

Now were are lumbered with shitty hybrid dedicated servers where you may end up facing off in Europe against similiarly skilled players from Mexico and the Middle East because that's how Activision wants it for 'competitive purposes' but your true internet connection gets obliterated to compensate the difference in distance and the other users internet quality meaning your experience along with everyone elses in the lobby is ruined.  

'New Engine' in COD lingo just means a modified version of the last. The base engine it uses goes back to 1998 too. The engine is definitely clapped out but that's more to deflect away from their shitty ignorant matchmaking practices. This is definitely the worst lauch for a COD game and aside from the connection woes; there is so many other bugs and fundamental flaws. Rumours are also surfacing that they started working on Advanced Warfare 2 before Activision told them to switch projects and after Infinite Warfare released last year badly unfinished; I think WW2 is rushed and incomplete by a country mile. It's a great game but the execution is horrendous. 

4 minutes ago, Baabcat said:

Seriously, other than the first weekend, I have had zero connection issues, and very few lag fest games?

Unfortunately that hasn't been the same experience for everyone which is why they took down all their entire global dedicated server structure which included the HQ. 

I literally gave up playing over the weekend because of the shitty connections due to switching to P2P.

I've now seen a tweet from Sledgehammer though that all Global Dedicated Servers are switched fully on. Doesn't that make a difference?

I'm a little like Bob on this aswell, as I've very rarely experienced much lag. Maybe we're on the shittest connection though. I doubt it but can't confirm.

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

50 minutes ago, GazzaGarratt said:

I'm a little like Bob on this aswell, as I've very rarely experienced much lag. Maybe we're on the shittest connection though. I doubt it but can't confirm.

From playing Destiny, I know Bob is! :lol::lol::lol:

fa91d1c7-2525-4709-a13b-ae6fabba557e.jpg

Thanks to Capn_Underpants for the artwork

43 minutes ago, GazzaGarratt said:

I've now seen a tweet from Sledgehammer though that all Global Dedicated Servers are switched fully on. Doesn't that make a difference?

In theory, dedicated servers should make a difference if the matchmaking was connection-based but with it being down to skill; things like lag can still be an issue as you can be on a server with users dotted around the world and then the weakest connection is then compensated against. The only benefit having dedi's over P2P is not relying on one sole connection and suffering migrations if the host is unreliable and disconnects.  If the servers were pure connection-based or you could choose a locale to play in; peoples experiences would be great, consistent and fair.  

1 hour ago, GazzaGarratt said:

It should do but I haven't had chance to play since they came back online.

fart.gif

On 15/11/2017 at 5:43 PM, Baabcat said:

Seriously, other than the first weekend, I have had zero connection issues, and very few lag fest games?

This for me too.

There's obviously some form of lag in each and every game you play. Sometimes in your favour, sometimes not. It's par for the course with CoD and I wouldn't expect any less. Why we'd expect anything different I just don't know?

2 hours ago, Stretch616 said:

This for me too.

There's obviously some form of lag in each and every game you play. Sometimes in your favour, sometimes not. It's par for the course with CoD and I wouldn't expect any less. Why we'd expect anything different I just don't know?

I don't think 5 million people expected the dedicated servers to be taken down and replaced with P2P because of the overwhelming problems seen worldwide with them.  This is an unacceptable situation regardless of whether someone is directly affected or not because of the affect it can have on the community as a whole. Your experience is certainly not refective of that worldwide. A bit of 'lag' here and there can be expected but that's not the case for many with this game and that's not what users deserve from a billion-dollar franchise in 2017.  

This game has been executed in shambolic fashion - the engine is ancient, the hybrid servers are dogshit, the netcode is horrendous and the amount of bugs s are ridiculous. It's embarrassing really.  If people haven't seen the issues first hand or haven't read anything Sledgehammer has said then that's fair enough but do not underestimate how tragic this game is in its current state. This video pretty much sums up what it's like for a lot of people every single game