EA buys Respawn

EA has acquired Titanfall 2 developer Respawn Entertainment in a sensational deal worth close to $500 million depending on performance targets hit by Respawn. For that, read ‘Metacritic scores’.

“We’ve seen firsthand the world-class calibre of Respawn as a development studio with incredible vision, deep talent and an inspiring creative mindset,” says Andrew Wilson, CEO of EA. “Our longtime partnership is grounded in a shared desire to push the boundaries and deliver extraordinary and innovative new experiences for players around the world. Together, we’ve brought this to life in the Titanfall franchise, and now with the Respawn team joining EA, we have exciting plans to accomplish even more amazing things in the future.”

Respawn said it’s similarly pleased with the outcome of the deal.

“While it wasn’t necessary, going with EA made a lot of sense,” said Respawn founder Vince Zampella. “With Titanfall and Star Wars, EA has been a great development partner that supports us and doesn’t interfere with our process for making games or studio culture. EA will provide us with more resources, access to new technologies, and expertise that we can tap into to that will help us make better games, and Respawn will retain the same creative freedom and culture we’ve always had. We’ve been talking closely with the leadership at EA and we share their values and vision for the future of being a developer-focused company that puts the players first.” I’m sure there will be many an eye roll at that last comment in particular.

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

EA have been quite direct on this. Shutting down Visceral Games a month or so ago but putting their money on the Respawn team, who to be fair have done wonders with Titanfall 2 and an improvement in Star Wars. Should be a good thing for EA games in general as long as the developers get a good deal and not shipped off behind the scenes in 12 months just so EA can work on Titanfall 3.

I also wonder if they could've released the Titanfall 2 at a better time not around other AAA games, Respawn's value would've been considerably more than what they have been bought for.

Fuck EA up the arse with a razor blade pineapple.

Visceral made Dead Space you know. EA then comes along and sucks everything good about the game and the company out and replaces it with shit via it's vampiric business models.

Bye bye Respawn[emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

I'm actually quite surprised EA did this because Titanfall has been a very weak brand that has performed fairly poorly for them and they already have enough FPS shooters on their books. They then buy Respawn for $400m to get creative control of the studio.....to make another Titanfall!? I can only assume EA bought them to close the studio down!

Respawn have also surprised me as I thought they didn't want to be tied to a publisher. Looks like they've sold themselves out just so they can get Titanfall 3 funded.  It's quite sad as this team is very talented and if they remained in Call of Duty, not only would that franchise have not declined as much but they would have had security. Their pesistence with Titanfall is just like beating a dead horse and I can't believe EA are now aiding them to produce another one when the publishers could have commissioned anything else and something more likely to rival COD.  

Well EA have wasted $400m which is good. 

On 13/11/2017 at 10:27 AM, J4MES OX4D said:

I'm actually quite surprised EA did this because Titanfall has been a very weak brand that has performed fairly poorly for them and they already have enough FPS shooters on their books. They then buy Respawn for $400m to get creative control of the studio.....to make another Titanfall!? I can only assume EA bought them to close the studio down!

Respawn have also surprised me as I thought they didn't want to be tied to a publisher. Looks like they've sold themselves out just so they can get Titanfall 3 funded.  It's quite sad as this team is very talented and if they remained in Call of Duty, not only would that franchise have not declined as much but they would have had security. Their pesistence with Titanfall is just like beating a dead horse and I can't believe EA are now aiding them to produce another one when the publishers could have commissioned anything else and something more likely to rival COD.  

I disagree. Its a great move for EA themselves. The Titanfall series in terms of Marketing and specifically the 1st game just lacked content.

The actual gameplay, mechanics and how the levelling system worked was pretty top draw in the second. We all said at the time, a better release date and marketing campaign and it would've been brilliant. Such smooth gameplay these days comes at a cost and whist we think the worst based on EA's past history, it is a great deal for them as long as the Respawn team are used to their fullest potential.

EA's history is the only thing that makes us all worry about this deal. If they aren't blinkered by their own shit ideas and let Respawn be creative with Titanfall 3, I want to believe it'll sell extremely well.

Shame EA makes me think otherwise.

On 13/11/2017 at 10:27 AM, J4MES OX4D said:

It's not just to do with TitanFall. I read that the Star Wars game that Respawn are working on was vastly superior to the game that Visceral were making even though it's been in production for a much shorted period of time. Apparently this is the main reason that Visceral were shut down.

I am worried what this means for TitanFall 3. Can't help thinking it'll be another Loot Crate filled, money grabbing game now :( I just hope Respawn signed a contract that gives them enough creative freedom to make the game that THEY want to make rather than a game that EA wants them to make. Also they need to release it at a better time than they did TFL 2.

fart.gif

11 hours ago, MrBiron said:

It's not just to do with TitanFall. I read that the Star Wars game that Respawn are working on was vastly superior to the game that Visceral were making even though it's been in production for a much shorted period of time. Apparently this is the main reason that Visceral were shut down.

I am worried what this means for TitanFall 3. Can't help thinking it'll be another Loot Crate filled, money grabbing game now :( I just hope Respawn signed a contract that gives them enough creative freedom to make the game that THEY want to make rather than a game that EA wants them to make. Also they need to release it at a better time than they did TFL 2.

I'd take a stab at EA wanting to maximise the Star Wars licence so they offered to fund Titanfall 3 on the basis that Respawn also make a Star Wars game which will likely be far more lucrative. There is absolutely no way that EA bought the entire Respawn studio for just the Titanfall brand. EA weren't even willing to fund the original so Microsoft had to chime in the dosh to get it finished and Titanfall 2 peformed poorly although that was down to many factors mostly to do with EA and their scheduling. I definitely think EA are using Respawn to make this new game and they used TF3 as the sweetner to complete the deal. I don't think any other studio would have been willing to fund a new Titanfall with its underwhelming performance and the studios reluctance to explore other types of games. 

It's probably a deal everyone is happy with but it could do more harm than good in terms of the studio biting off more than they can chew. EA wouldn't care because they know they can make a solid return from just the Star Wars game alone which will likely pay for Titanfall 3 and more.