The Overwatch League

The3rdWalker

esports-overwatch-36d8f7f486d363c1.png

So if the Overwatch World Championships didn't get you hyped enough you might have seen marketing over the past month for "The Overwatch League". (Optic gaming investing 3.5 million dollars for an HQ in Texas, etc)

https://overwatchleague.com/en-us/

Meet The Teams

The Overwatch League’s teams are permanent franchises representing major cities across the globe. The Atlantic and Pacific Divisions, comprising six teams each, share a fierce hunger for the Overwatch League championship, as well as for the USD $3.5 million in performance bonuses at stake in the inaugural season.

BOSTON UPRISING

Boston, MA

DALLAS FUEL

Dallas, TX

FLORIDA MAYHEM

Florida

HOUSTON OUTLAWS

Houston, TX

LONDON SPITFIRE

London, EN

LOS ANGELES GLADIATORS

Los Angeles, CA

LOS ANGELES VALIANT

Los Angeles, CA

NEW YORK EXCELSIOR

New York City, NY

PHILADELPHIA FUSION

Philadelphia, PA

SAN FRANCISCO SHOCK

San Francisco, CA

SEOUL DYNASTY

Seoul

SHANGHAI DRAGONS

Shanghai

Here's How it Works
International city-based teams recruit top Overwatch players to compete in a five-month season, followed by championship playoffs with a $1 million bonus for first place.

i7 7700k, 16GB RAM, GEFORCE 1080, 240GB SSHD, 2TB SSD

The league interests me but I thought they'd get way more European teams. There is just London which is annoying.

Preseason starts 7th December, with London playing their game against LA Gladiators @ 10pm local time. If I can set a reminder I may jump on and have a watch.

1 hour ago, GazzaGarratt said:

There is just London which is annoying.

Preseason starts 7th December, with London playing their game against LA Gladiators @ 10pm local time. If I can set a reminder I may jump on and have a watch.

You have major players who invested into these. (Dallas Cowboys, Texas Rangers, etc) So there may not be enough big groups over the pond that see the value in esports as of yet, not to mention there are more than a dozen EU players currently on American teams. 

Twitch paid 90,000,000 for exclusive rights to broadcast OWL.

https://venturebeat.com/2018/01/09/overwatch-league-has-an-exclusive-broadcast-home-twitch/

That is ridiculous money.

I also then seen a tweet that said Amazon bought Twitch in 2014 for $790 million. Now I can see where it came from.

Great for Overwatch though.

Plus, I'm not gonna lie, the fact that London Spitfire has not got any homegrown players doesn't feel quite right.

I'll be supporting them but the fact the whole team is from and live in Korea is something that we aren't a fan of in our national sport. You must try and least find some talent at home, they then feed into the Overwatch World Cup.

55 minutes ago, GazzaGarratt said:

Plus, I'm not gonna lie, the fact that London Spitfire has not got any homegrown players doesn't feel quite right.

I'll be supporting them but the fact the whole team is from and live in Korea is something that we aren't a fan of in our national sport. You must try and least find some talent at home, they then feed into the Overwatch World Cup.

It's a sport with serious money involved, they are here to win not handcuff themselves for hometown appeal. I mean NY and Dallas have koreans, aussies and ex pats and no one minds because of how good they are. 

23 hours ago, GazzaGarratt said:

How are London getting on? I haven't had chance to watch any of the last few rounds.

They beat Seoul dynasty 4-0. Although the London players look like they all originate from Seoul where’s the British players! I say you and stretch should start up a Coventry Crusaders team 😂

7 hours ago, Findmartin said:

They beat Seoul dynasty 4-0. Although the London players look like they all originate from Seoul where’s the British players! I say you and stretch should start up a Coventry Crusaders team 😂

Just like any professional teams whether it be sports or games. Most of the best teams in any organization are filled with expats. NHL, MLB to League of Legends and Counter Strike. It's about fielding the best. 

Yeah, it's weird to support our "home" team and it be filled with foreigners. But how is that any different to any Premier League club. 

Just to reiterate from another thread, there's an awesome OW League app (thanks Rob 👍) that'll keep you up to date and even prompt when your supported teams are playing.

I honestly can't wait till Stage 1 is now done and dusted. I want to see how the pros change up their play with the Fucking Hot Healing Chick! nerf being live

With Fucking Hot Healing Chick! being gone you’re going to see Moira. She’s super strong and you will see a three to four tank meta.

And yes I’ve hooked up Crispy with the Spitfire official discord which has a wonderful community and viewing parties during matches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is awesome to see!

The realist in me says knowing what we do about the UK, it didn't go down well for Cloud 9 when the put in 100% koreans in a british labelled team. It just doesn't sit right with most british people (i still appreciate it's all about the winning).

Still, having said that, there is clearly some good talent in the UK and for them to set up a progression team already with only part of Season 1 not over, hats off to them.

Via the FG App

On 19/02/2018 at 1:22 PM, crispymorgan said:

I'm nearly ready for pro teams emoji14.png

Via the FG App

Bloody Widowmaker. She's French though so you're not allowed in.