COD WW2 - First Impression

Stretch616

On 11/30/2017 at 9:19 PM, The3rdWalker said:

Well Optic Gaming alone is worth 1/10th of the COD Sales. Seems smart to focus on the esports side as these teams bring fans, jerseys, advertisement deals etc. Then again I always believe these sort of games need to cater to pros more than the casual base. There should be a casual playlist/ mode for the general public

Call of Duty should be casual and the series began to go downhill when they started catering more towards the eSport crowd even after many players and teams turned their back on the franchise. Skill-based matchmaking was the first thing that really impacted the game and then the shoebox sized maps with 3 lanes killed the enjoyment for many along with hefty balancing of core mechanics. COD was at its best when it was purely casual and anyone could pick up and play. The competitive side was always there but largely seperate and very minimal in terms of the overall playerbase - probably under 1% from Black Ops 2 onwards. 

eSports is still worth a lot to COD but they've lost probably 15m+ players in the last 5 years despite having a far bigger reach than ever before with supply drops being the real money maker now. Many competitive players wont even touch Call of Duty now and Activision could easily knock it on the head as it's not worth the expense. CSGO Cologne had 27,000,000 viewers a while back and at the same time COD was getting about 8,000 on average. Sledgehammer's competitive focus with AW alienated many players and whilst I don't think it's as bad in WW2 as it was back then; I don't think COD is much of a eSport game now and there's not much diversity or skill required in them. Arena and team-based shooters are actually becoming less popular in this domain now as it's quite a saturated and unspectacular genre now. 

3 hours ago, J4MES OX4D said:

CSGO Cologne had 27,000,000 viewers a while back and at the same time COD was getting about 8,000 on average.

COD World Championships was at 192k viewers last year... not sure where you got 8k, also the game is heavily catered towards casuals, what makes this game casual and prevents it from ever being taken to the next level is yearly releases of the game. COD is just not designed for the long haul, never has been never will be.

Comparing CSGO and COD is apples to oranges... they are totally different games, while CSGO is one of the oldest and biggest esports in history. I am far from a COD fan but even I know to give them credit. Loot crates rake in money for the casual base and esports drives that number higher than they could imagine, leadings to more casual buying crates because they see pros with certain skins...

CSGO skin sales are a whole other ballgame as well...

i7 7700k, 16GB RAM, GEFORCE 1080, 240GB SSHD, 2TB SSD

7 hours ago, The3rdWalker said:

COD World Championships was at 192k viewers last year... not sure where you got 8k, also the game is heavily catered towards casuals, what makes this game casual and prevents it from ever being taken to the next level is yearly releases of the game. COD is just not designed for the long haul, never has been never will be.

Comparing CSGO and COD is apples to oranges... they are totally different games, while CSGO is one of the oldest and biggest esports in history. I am far from a COD fan but even I know to give them credit. Loot crates rake in money for the casual base and esports drives that number higher than they could imagine, leadings to more casual buying crates because they see pros with certain skins...

CSGO skin sales are a whole other ballgame as well...

When Cologne was going on at the same time Call of Duty had it's eSport event; COD only achieved 8,000 viewers. If COD only achieved 192,000 viewers last year at the World Championshops, that all but proves that the franchise doesn't have a place in the eSport arena any more. People streaming Farming Simulator have had bigger weekly viewership than that.  

The series just tries to please everyone and ends up failing on all fronts and that's why they should have chose a direction and stuck with it - either casual (99% of their audience) or pure competitive (>1%)  Now they are leaning back towards casual because supply drops are raking it in and most competitive teams have either grown up and moved on with their lives or are following the money and playing the current gaming trends such as Battle Royale. 

7 minutes ago, phil bottle said:

Have you tried zombies? It's a blast and have had zero issues with itemoji4.png

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

I have never like zombies. Might give it a whirl but generally not my cup of tea.

17 hours ago, NCA-Paendrag said:

Let me guess, your fifa one is wrecked first? ;)

Guess I need to ask Santa for a new one, cuz the one I switched to has some cracks in it from former cod action ;)

The one I use for fifa doesn't let me sprint in CoD xD

And the one I use for CoD doesn't let me sprint or use skill moves in Fifa. I have no idea why as the buttons work perfectly well for the other game xD

Carentan is in rotation even though it's a bonus map for season pass or something.

Played it three or four times. Really campy with lots of buildings and long sightlines. I even got one shot killes across map with a pistol :rolleyes:

So, Carentan is available to everyone until Jan 2. They have Carentan 24/7 with HP, Dom, KC and TDM.

The best part is they actually made a hardcore mode of it too. To quote Monthy Python; I'm impressed! And with 2XP all the time.

Unless you're stuck with noobs on your team. A guy on the enemy team was 17-0 just sniping from his spawn as my idiot teammates just kept running forward like lemmings. Didn't stay for his imminent V2 rocket.

1 hour ago, cyberninja2601 said:

I tried it and enjoyed it,  unfortunately is seems like everyone has already moved one and I don't think I've even reached level 40 yet. 

Getting a decent team that PTFO is a challenge for sure. 

I still play it.

And you can be sure to end up on the crappy team every time.

Another nearly two weeks on and some proper observations. 

1. Still a major issue with bullet registration. Far too many gunfights where I shoot first and I just get straight melted. I’ve gone and watched the theatre and replays and it shows that I am on target and it just doesn’t register the shot. This is down to a number of issues but it brings me on to my next point

2. Lobbies. For the love of god stop putting me in lobbies where I am facing people from Mexico, America, Australia and fucking Pingu from Antarctica! Are you seriously telling me there is no one in the UK trying to play this game??

3. Score based match making (SBMM). Right this has to be one of the dumbest ideas implemented for the casual gamer. If I wanted to be red bull chugging aderall popping scuf jumping 16 year old who thinks he is the next Scump then I would go play ranked or game battles. That’s the fucking reason they are in the game. What I want is a lobby of randomly selected people   Sometimes I will get shit on and sometimes I will shit on. You take your chances. I take little enjoyment at the moment of game after game of having to try my absolute nuts off just to have a vaguely decent game. Mr condrey can say it isn’t there but when if I play solo I’m barely scraping positive and when I join with a shitter mate suddenly I’m in lobbies where people don’t have thumbs then there has to be something there. 

4. SMGs. Need a buff. Nothing major but when it loses to a fn42 or bar at close range that isn’t right. 

5. Removal of the pick 10 system in my mind was a massive step back. I really miss being able to select different perks and customise my setup and half of my ribbon things have remained locked in this current prestige because they are utter shite. 

Enjoyment levels just aren’t there when I jump on for a quick game at the moment. I’ll try to think of some more but I’m fucking knackered 

APmVvKG.gif

Step 1-3, totally agree and I feel just the same way. Bullets also chasing me around corners.

Nr 4 I can't comment too much as I mostly play hardcore.

And I kinda like this system as it makes me play with different divisions. Aside from Armoured that is.

Been enjoying this game a lot lately. I have the same issue Kiwi has though, playing solo I get my ass handed to me by tryhards, playing with friends I shit on people 90% of the games we play.

Still very much let down by the Thompson, it seems to melt the skin of my bones when someone uses it against me, but when I use it I can barely win gugfights even with rapid fire on. On the up side, STG-44 with rds, ext mags and rapid fire has become my go to gun. So good at all ranges and that rapid fire really helps with both close quarters and medium range kills. Probably one of a few guns I can chain 2-4 kills within a very short amount of time, as long as the enemy team is shit :D

Something else that annoys me more and more (in addition to the previously mentioned stuff in earlier posts), why the fuck can you only get suppressors on smg's and only in the airborne division? And why the fuck is the perk that keeps you off enemy radar unlocked at lvl 53 or 54? This makes me not want to prestige further, although I could use one of the prestige tokens to unlock the damn perk early like I did with forage it just seems like a waste when you have the mountain division ready to go from lvl 1. But the movement speed and suppressors of the airborne coupled with the perk in question would be nice...

6 hours ago, NCA-Paendrag said:

Step 1-3, totally agree and I feel just the same way. Bullets also chasing me around corners.

Nr 4 I can't comment too much as I mostly play hardcore.

And I kinda like this system as it makes me play with different divisions. Aside from Armoured that is.

I find that I have to be insanely accurate with my shots but it’s all undone by the fact that sniper dan and his xxxxxxxxtrikshottttzzzzwannabeeeepamaj mates can fire a sniper rifle 6 feet either side of me quickscoping and it kills me. Same with any of the other weapons. I’ve seen point blank a shotgun fail to kill someone on multiple occasions yet other people’s blasts have chased me round the corner. It can’t go on like this and it was the same situation at the MLG championship last weekend so it also happens on LAN. 

I should really play hardcore seeing as I’ve had my highest kill games playing HC TDM. But I find that people play so defensively, sitting on one of the million head glitch spots with a bipod lmg that it gets just as rage inducing. 

I will I’ll concede that the 5th point is more of a personal thing horses for courses. But like mentioned above I’m just not of being being tied to a division if I want to run suppressor etc. 

APmVvKG.gif

The suppressor thing is a strange design choice but I don’t actually mind it that much. Does mean I’m often running Airbourne but there is a design choice here in that the three main stealth elements (UAV immunity, suppressor, no footstep noise ) are not available , best you can do is 2 out of 3. Weird compared to other CoDs but I’m ok with it, even though max stealth was always my way.

I see it in the final killcams all the time. People killed when the sight is far off target. And I swear some people seem to have an aimbot sometimes!

I agree though, would be sweet to run around with the Mountain division and also have a supresser  on.