State of the Server

Sennex

The server is chugging along nicely.

We are getting closed to our SSD space limit again though, and it is having to be micromanaged on a, damn near, day to day basis. I didn't expect us to hit that level this soon, but it doesn't shock me. What this means for you all is if you attempt to log in and can't then we have hit the cap and I need to juggle some things. Its not as bad as it sounds so there is no need to really worry, its like a 2 minute fix on my end.

I have tweaked a few settings, and am trying to add EMC values to items that don't have them.

I have a question though, do we really need the mining worlds at this point? 

Luke 23:34
'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

I didn’t realise it was that bad when you said avout it the other day.  As I said on the server, I don’t think we do really.  It was helpful in the beginning but I think most of us who have been around since day 1 have got all we need or can produce what we need.  I’m not sure how some of the new guys feel though as they may be only just getting started.

If possible I’d say set a deadline ( 2 weeks? end of the month?) for when the mining world will close.  It gives us chance to get our stuff out of it or mine whats needed.

How much space does the browser map take up? I use it occasionally to see if anyone is online but rarely as an actual map so I wouldn’t miss it either.

1103954298_AmosSignature.png.04556f304072cd09783cc1fdfec8fe9f.png

I use the Dynmap all the time. That being said, after the mining world it is where I will look to free up space. I am pretty sure I am the only one that uses it

'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

How do people use Dynmap for exploring? To see where they are or where to go? I'm wondering if a screenprint of the map would work with some gridlines marked on for co-ordinates.  It obviously wouldn't be a live map like Dynmap is but would still give us the information on the general layout of the world while taking some load off the server.

Dynmap (I think) only shows your personal progress.

If I fancy exploring, I warp to someone’s warp point then set off from there. The map opens out as you  travel, so it’s good for checking you’re going in the right direction and also indicates villages and structures

fa91d1c7-2525-4709-a13b-ae6fabba557e.jpg

Thanks to Capn_Underpants for the artwork

The browser map shows everything as I pregenned it. It can be set to only show what has been explored. Personally I hate that as it means I (or others) need to sit and fly around everywhere.

Also I have no idea who this Tommy player is, but I know I banned someone for stealing other peoples houses... Is that this Tommy person? :lol:

I tested out World regen today. 

What this means is that if you go into an area and start to build, and then dislike that area, or move for some reason, I can reset that build area to how it was before you started

So that being said if any of you dislike your build areas, or have abandoned areas, let me know and I will reset them

Nice [emoji4] Surely that is even more reason to get rid of the mining world then as, if we mine where no-one has built, you could re-gen that chunk so it could be mined again by someone else.

I like that idea. In essence, you cpupd fence off a whole section assigned to 'Mining'. Nice work Bart.

I'd rather avoid that to be honest. Go take a look at my build area to see how imperfect Regenning actually is

At this point the Web map actually takes up more space than the mining world. I didn't realize this was the case until I really started investigating what files were where and their size.

Server was down briefly this morning. I fixed it.

Also to add to the thing about regen. I actually lost my build almost completely, including all I had stockpiled. So Regen isn't something to really play around with. Its extremely useful but its also more limited than i expected. 

Hindsight being what it is, I shouldn't have tested it on my build area. Oh well, back to square one for me

I was thinking to re-gen our build areas :lol: more if we mined where there wasn't one of our builds it could be 'put back' ready for someone else to mine.  Shame it doesn't work all that well though and sorry to hear about your build :(

Yea it sucked at first, especially since I ended up losing my collectors and my stash.

If people have builds that they have abandoned though, let me know

Also, I am working on finding a new build area if anyone has suggestions

I ended up going west, and found a truly insane ziggurat

I have no idea if I will actually build near it, as its so insane I don't want to mess with it

EDIT:

I am going to partake in y'alls tree farm in the mining world  and then set up a mine there. Do you guys have a marked off area or anything?

9 hours ago, Sennex said:

I ended up going west, and found a truly insane ziggurat

I have no idea if I will actually build near it, as its so insane I don't want to mess with it

EDIT:

I am going to partake in y'alls tree farm in the mining world  and then set up a mine there. Do you guys have a marked off area or anything?

I planted a specific area but I think it has expanded to just be everywhere :lol: