Wolfenstein Ii: The New Colossus

J4MES OX4D

This game pisses me off.

It could be great, shooting and movement are great, as are the visuals.

Totally ruined by shitty level design.

Keep getting lost and not knowing which way to go, even with the map. The balance in the New and Old Order games is totally gone. The AI ate also very dumb. What a shame. Glad I got it cheap as I'll likely uninstal it until I forget how frustrating it is.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

Definitely worse than the New Order. There's a couple of really good and entertaining levels but most of them are terrible. 

This section was horrible

4914A0FC92314DD2E0B94DB9E1D3965229002A72

and there's more after which are equally bad. Such a shame because there's a few great ones later but it's not worth sifting through the shit to get there. The new Wolfenstein game looks dogshit too - they've turned a fast paced shooter into some trendy RPG with enemy health bars and levels. Retarded game designers. 

1 minute ago, J4MES OX4D said:

Definitely worse than the New Order. There's a couple of really good and entertaining levels but most of them are terrible. 

This section was horrible

4914A0FC92314DD2E0B94DB9E1D3965229002A72

and there's more after which are equally bad. Such a shame because there's a few great ones later but it's not worth sifting through the shit to get there. The new Wolfenstein game looks dogshit too - they've turned a fast paced shooter into some trendy RPG with enemy health bars and levels. Retarded game designers. 

That is exactly the section that has pissed me off 🙂

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

Thats a shame. Absolutely loved the New Order, one of my all time favourite SP games on the PS4, great storyline too. If I recall, there was some moments where you could get lost even on the old games as well the New Order which is the latest one i've played but not enough to piss me off. The AI have always been somewhat....different in Wolfenstein games to any others. Its usually why I end up playing it through on hard and then the highest difficulty on the next playthrough.

As to the level design, do you think a better mini-map or objective beacon reminder system would be a better way to go? I don't think they could ever be an open world game, definitely suits the linear level design.

On 7/18/2019 at 7:37 PM, GazzaGarratt said:

As to the level design, do you think a better mini-map or objective beacon reminder system would be a better way to go? I don't think they could ever be an open world game, definitely suits the linear level design.

Nah not for me. Games are simple enough as it is these days with many offering waypoints, x-ray vision and other spoonfed elements that plague the HUD and make it too easy. That one level in the New Colossus was just an absolute mess in terms of design and it really affected the whole product for some.  The other levels albeit not great we clear enough to navigate and progress. 

Youngblood is releasing a day early on PC (24th) at £25 but there is not really any hype and the gameplay streams that have been showcased by Bethesda have been god awful. I'm gonna stick to the ARMA 3 expansion. 

Yeah it's a shame. The New Order was so good I completed it on both PC and PS4, twice. I'll study reviews before buying another Bethesda shooter. Even Doom. Though I know games are developed by different studios.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

19 minutes ago, phil bottle said:

Yeah it's a shame. The New Order was so good I completed it on both PC and PS4, twice. I'll study reviews before buying another Bethesda shooter. Even Doom. Though I know games are developed by different studios.

I'm quite confident in Doom Eternal as the devs really know what they're doing and it looks great just like the 2016 version. I still wont pre-order but that's probably the only Bethesda brand which is a safe bet these days. 

Youngblood is being developed by Machine Games and Arkane but we don't know which parts of each studio are involved in the project. I can't see the main Machine/Arkane studios working together for the sake of a cheap spinoff just like a fringe ID team with Avalanche who worked on Rage 2 (now 50% off on Steam after 8 weeks) Doom will have the ID Tech A-team but Youngblood was probably churned out by a few members from both Machine and Arkane and the end result will likely be an experimental mess. Enemy levels and health bars with an RPG format has already killed it for me.  

Reviews so far are putting it at the 7/10 mark which isn't too bad but I just don't know if I like the overall game design/format. Karak at ACG says to wait for a sale which on an already budget game isn't encouraging. People looking for a co-op experience may have fun here and with the buddy pass it's really good value for two copies though. 

SkillUp has also trashed the game as well. Shame the gunplay has been somewhat changed from what I can see.

On 7/23/2019 at 6:38 PM, phil bottle said:

Yeah it's a shame. The New Order was so good I completed it on both PC and PS4, twice.

You're making me think I'll go back and finish the Platinum on PS4. It was so good to complete I think it's only a few collectables I need on hardest difficulty.

SkillUp has also trashed the game as well. Shame the gunplay has been somewhat changed from what I can see.

You're making me think I'll go back and finish the Platinum on PS4. It was so good to complete I think it's only a few collectables I need on hardest difficulty.
Do it.

To be honest I am likely to pick this up at some point, the coop is a selling point and I have a fondness Wolfenstein.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

3 hours ago, phil bottle said:

Do it.

To be honest I am likely to pick this up at some point, the coop is a selling point and I have a fondness Wolfenstein.

co-op is totally a selling point and it'd swing me if you think it was worth it to dip into that mode. Problem is, after playing New Order, you then feel spoiled somewhat for such an amazing FPS shooter. Would love to have that as a co-op one.

co-op is totally a selling point and it'd swing me if you think it was worth it to dip into that mode. Problem is, after playing New Order, you then feel spoiled somewhat for such an amazing FPS shooter. Would love to have that as a co-op one.
Coop is the way to go to fully enjoy. If you don't know Gopher, check this, he's a legend:

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

I'm worried for Doom Eternal as well. I was so confident with this game but after seeing snippets from the event, it seems like they are putting a lot of emphasis on glory kills rather than just plain old free flowing shooting. The kills look good but I don't want to have to pull of one every 5 seconds. It should be for the last remaining enemy you clear out or a big boss only. Seeing enemies flash blue all the time also looks annoying.  If they miss the mark with such a basic formula then that'll be almost every franchise on their books in tatters and probably ES6 too.