Assassin's Creed: Origins

J4MES OX4D

Not had chane to see the review yet but scores are coming out in the 80's so it seems to be hitting the mark.

Also, just seen you can ride a unicorn just the Egyptians did. For that alone this game is made for Dave.

10 minutes ago, McNasty said:

Black Flag. 

all time. 

Sounds about right. Seriously Black Flag was one of the only single player games I was addicted to. It also made me want a pirate ship game. I will most likely be Skull & Bones day one. 

i7 7700k, 16GB RAM, GEFORCE 1080, 240GB SSHD, 2TB SSD

I never thought a pirate game was feasible.  Just the logistics of it seem like it would get old quick, but holy shit did that game deliver.  On top of that, the plot actually made sense.  I've always struggled with following wtf was going on with the other AC games, especially when it's all foreign names.  Can't remember who is who and who is good/bad.  

Started the game today and had enough of it already.  It looks stunning but the characters are dreadful, the writing is abysmal, the combat is iffy and the design is basically Shadow of War. After doing the first mission; the next one was 4 levels too much for me to do so to level up, I have to do side missions and the first was to kill a captain and the next one was exactly the same. As if Ubisoft's open world sandboxes weren't barren enough with weak ass content sploged on top; this filler design of 'killing captains' I just absoutely loathe.  It's so fucking cheap and underwhelming. I hate shallow open world games and sadly more and more developers are reliant on this shitty design. 

There didn't seem to be any logic behind these side missions either - I've just hit the town and suddenly there's these random missions where I have to kill somebody in a location. The developers couldn't even be fucked to tell us why to mask the fact this was simply to level up.  I praise the art teams at the studio and think Ubisoft have some stunning technology backing them but the people who write, direct and design these games are fucking morons. Dunno if The Witcher 3 has impacted my judgement but that is how games should be done especially ones that are on par budget-wise.

Pretty sure we played totally different games. Espicially with your reference to Shadow of War.

You didnt' pay attention to the Lore of the Medjay either if you don't understand why the side missions are popping up. The game definitely explains it.

To each their own

Luke 23:34
'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

1 minute ago, Sennex said:

Pretty sure we played totally different games. Espicially with your reference to Shadow of War.

You didnt' pay attention to the Lore of the Medjay either if you don't understand why the side missions are popping up. The game definitely explains it.

To each their own

Yeah the story telling is sort of what’s hooked he. The side missions are really good. Mostly different. Difficult enough. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed it so far. I’m not sure what deserves GoTY, this or Horizon.  

7 hours ago, Sennex said:

To each their own

I had no choice to get out when I did so I was entitled to a refund but after doing 3 side quests killing captains just to level up my character; that was enough for me to duck out. Simply not a fan of this format as I prefer a flowing story rather than it scattered among filller.  I am coming from Divinity Original Sin 2 though so perhaps my expectations were a bit high. 

21 hours ago, McNasty said:

If you've never played Assassins Creed - go buy Black Flag.  It's seriously in my top5 games of all time.  AC2, AC3, Unity, Brotherhood aren't even in my top50, as a comparison

Ah cool, that's good to know, I'll have a look out for a cheap copy over the Xmas hols:1310_thumbsup_tone1:

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

21 hours ago, The3rdWalker said:

Sounds about right. Seriously Black Flag was one of the only single player games I was addicted to. It also made me want a pirate ship game. I will most likely be Skull & Bones day one. 

Skull and Bones Beta sign up is live.

Also, looking out for Sea of Thieves..

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

4 hours ago, J4MES OX4D said:

I had no choice to get out when I did so I was entitled to a refund but after doing 3 side quests killing captains just to level up my character; that was enough for me to duck out. Simply not a fan of this format as I prefer a flowing story rather than it scattered among filller.  I am coming from Divinity Original Sin 2 though so perhaps my expectations were a bit high. 

That doesn't really make sense, you can leave the starting area in about 3 hours. Everything you griped about could have been remedied/ learned/ explained easily in that same amount of time. Did you skip the cut scenes? Maybe play with the volume muted? Not read anything on screen? 

To put it in terms of Witcher 3, you made it as far as the initial dream sequence in the game, Raced Ciri to the sparring area, turned off the game and then compared it to a totally different game. 

I'm not trying to change your mind or anything, I just don't want others to come along, read what you posted and miss out on a game that is honestly better than any other RPG I have played since Witcher 3.

Luke 23:34
'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

26 minutes ago, Sennex said:

That doesn't really make sense, you can leave the starting area in about 3 hours. Everything you griped about could have been remedied/ learned/ explained easily in that same amount of time. Did you skip the cut scenes? Maybe play with the volume muted? Not read anything on screen? 

I watched eveything, learned everything and completed the first mission where I was left to it. The next 3 missions I discovered on the map (!) were kill capatain and loot tresure fillers so I could bolser my XP to level 5 so I could participate in the next main mission. I do not like this structure for open world games - I prefer a free-flowing story to compliment the crafted world rather than a backdrop with serveral shallow narrative instances plastered over it. Not even Watch Dogs 2 had to rely on this format. I remember when side missions were an optional extra rather than a necessity and an off the bat stumbling block of progression.

I had to make a decision within 2 hours so I was entitled to a refund and after my experience of Shadow of War; I wasn't in the mood for another one of these grind-eligibility games. I couldn't care if Origins then became the best game ever after that; my initial impression wasn't great despite the wonderful backdrop and after reading in the community forums how the game is going forward; I opted to obtain a refund instead as I don't think my experience would have drastically improved. 

The combat as well was a major turn-off. 

33 minutes ago, Sennex said:

To put it in terms of Witcher 3, you made it as far as the initial dream sequence in the game, Raced Ciri to the sparring area, turned off the game and then compared it to a totally different game. 

The Witcher 3 hooked me from the get-go. From the opening sequence, the wonderful script, stunning backdrop and great opening missions; it is in a different league. That game is the benchmark that titles like Origins should aspire to especially considering the price and its budget. 

35 minutes ago, Sennex said:

I'm not trying to change your mind or anything, I just don't want others to come along, read what you posted and miss out on a game that is honestly better than any other RPG I have played since Witcher 3.

There's plenty of reviews out there that are positive and my opinion isn't there to deter people who may be interested. I just don't fancy wasting £40 on a game that I may not enjoy just because I decided to give it another half hour. As soon as I saw the screen with 6 targets as my set missions and all the !!!!!!! dotted around the map which are pre-made missions so I can participate in the main ones before moving on to the next area to do it all again; I felt very underwhelmed and just didn't feel like committing to the game.  

Skull and Bones Beta sign up is live.

Also, looking out for Sea of Thieves..

Link please [emoji16]

I trust the reviews here. Whilst I'm always keen on playing MP games, I'll be asking for this as an Xmas present.

1 minute ago, GazzaGarratt said:

Link please emoji16.png

I trust the reviews here. Whilst I'm always keen on playing MP games, I'll be asking for this as an Xmas present.

For you darling: https://www.ubisoft.com/en-gb/game/skull-and-bones/

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

I've been pleasantly surprised by this. I've tried a few other AC games and got bored of them quite quickly. This is a different beast altogether. More of an RPG than anything else.

For me, an open world has to have a world where you're happy just wandering about doing nothing but still enjoying yourself. This game has exactly that. Other AC games lacked this.

Just don't talk about the first hour or so which was so shit that I nearly quit that game.

fart.gif