Gran Turismo Sport - First Impressions

It certainly is a beautifully crafted racer. Only played some licences and an arcade race so far so its early days.

I'm glad we have the licences still in the game. Its a big part of the core way GT works, and its good that they have linked to youtube for key videos to help understand what to do in each one. I'm on the fence with the way that the races work though. The licences are the career mode. You're then left with Arcade mode (vs AI) that looks initially like just a single race with defined cars to choose from. Then there's online races, which I imagine you use your cars you've purchased.

I'm going to see if you can tune like you used to and what other customisation is in it. The picture mode though is ridiculous. I'll find some pics people have seen online and you wouldn't believe its not real. I'm excited to play the online mode to see if it will play well or if you get online trolls immediately.

1 hour ago, phil bottle said:

What's it like compared with Driveclub? I'm a fan of Driveclub though I came to it late

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Not played enough to compare yet mate. However, I sense that DriveClub will be slightly better as I think Gran Turismo have done a great job with their UI to mask the way that races now work. DriveClub also has that 'club' side to it as well whereas this is purely for yourself.

/thread derail but let me know if you fancy driveclub one night. I never got the chance to work on the FG club on there which would be fun.

A few hours in and I must say it is a pretty smooth game. Probably shouldn't have played on hard difficultly straight away but the challenges and licences have been fun, especially trying to get to the top of your friends leaderboard :D

I'd still say though DriveClub has slightly better controls and overall gameplay. Where GT Sport has done amazingly well on is the UI. All around you is amazing and slick features. Achievements galore, they've made a simple challenge and arcade race look extra special with rewards. The unveiling of a new gift car is brilliant too, the way they've thought about unveiling it to you. Makes you want to get another level to see another free car gifted to you.

Not tried online yet. Think that'll be a completely different ball game.

I caved in and picked this up over the weekend and managed get a couple of hours in.  First impressions I think could be summed up as positive but not without faults.  The game looks and handles really well - handling wise this definitely falls in to the sim side of things but controller support is pretty decent if occasionally a little slow when trying to catch snap oversteer.  I'd love to give this a go with a proper wheel set up but at over £200 I don't think I'll be buying one just to give it a go (though I do miss being able to race PC sims).  I can't speak for the accuracy of the real life tracks but they look good and some of the fantasy tracks are brilliant to drive.

My biggest gripes about this though are, relatively speaking, quite minor so I hope they get patched at some point.  The paint shop / decals possible being the biggest - in all the racing games I've played I have enjoyed being able to customise my cars livery.  Obviously you can do this in GTS but there seems to be things missing / broken about it.  There isn't (or at least I can't find it) an option for mirroring sides of the car so getting the left and right side symmetrical is going to be interesting.  There are also bits of the cars you can paint but can't apply any decals - this isn't small bits either, where I've noticed it is when trying to put decals on the front bumpers.  I could somewhat understand if it was small intricate area like wing mirrors but being unable to custom paint from bumpers will ruin a lot of designs.  On the livery front, I really liked Forza's market place where you could sell or buy liveries but GTS's appear to only be the ones you create.

Unlocking things by miles is an oddity for me too - it adds a second currency to the game and I'm not sure why.  It means you have to play to be able to unlock stuff but you have play to earn credits too so :wacko: Maybe a change to be able to unlock things with credits or miles?

Finally, while it was well publicised before hand about there being no career mode I do miss it.  The driving test / licences are enjoyable enough, I do like having a progressive career mode.

1103954298_AmosSignature.png.04556f304072cd09783cc1fdfec8fe9f.png

On a second first impression, I have to partially retract some of my paintshop / decal moans.  Only partially because you can flip decals from one side to the other but, and it's a big but, only one layer at a time.  So my lovely paintjob of 70 layers took quite some time to flip every single layer over.

Still though, loving the racing in this :) I'm not sure if it is the ranking system but the online racing seems to be pretty clean.

1103954298_AmosSignature.png.04556f304072cd09783cc1fdfec8fe9f.png