Internet Provider - Stick or Twist

GazzaGarratt

I'm with Virgin Media now. Apparently they are the quickest in the market as they have their own fibre optic cables. However it's awaful lately, Wifi is pants and i'm only getting fluctuating readings from my internet; around 20mbps. Not the 50mbps that I'm supposed to have. Paying over £40 just for broadband is pretty bad.

We have Sky TV. One thing we don't want to swap is the TV but we will consider if its a must.

What thoughts have you got? I'm airing towards just changing evrything to Sky but worried about the speed.

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

I've got Virgin and had it since NTL days. On the rare occasions we've had them, technical problems have always been solved pretty quickly.

Tell them you want to leave because it's too expensive and you may be surprised at what they can do, especially if you drop the fact that you're a Sky TV customer into the conversation because Sky have been trying to poach Virgin customers in our area using the recent Virgin price increase as bait

fa91d1c7-2525-4709-a13b-ae6fabba557e.jpg

Thanks to Capn_Underpants for the artwork

I'm also with Virgin Media and found their service to be very good, reliable and when there has been a problem which is rare; it's been resolved very swiftly. When I read all the horror stories from other providers;  I am staggered at some of them and it makes me appreciate Virgin and their consistency over the years a lot more. I have read about BT customers not having internet access for days, TalkTalk users having internet issues spanning months and Sky deliberatly confusing users on packages so they can charge them as much money as possible. 

It's worth giving them a call if you're having issues with your Wi-Fi as they may be able to solve it their end or have an idea what is wrong. I had some issues a few years ago and they determined that my router simply needed changing and upgrading and that was dealt with within 24 hours. 

I'm also with Virgin Media and found their service to be very good, reliable and when there has been a problem which is rare; it's been resolved very swiftly. When I read all the horror stories from other providers;  I am staggered at some of them and it makes me appreciate Virgin and their consistency over the years a lot more. I have read about BT customers not having internet access for days, TalkTalk users having internet issues spanning months and Sky deliberatly confusing users on packages so they can charge them as much money as possible. 

It's worth giving them a call if you're having issues with your Wi-Fi as they may be able to solve it their end or have an idea what is wrong. I had some issues a few years ago and they determined that my router simply needed changing and upgrading and that was dealt with within 24 hours. 

I've got Virgin and had it since NTL days. On the rare occasions we've had them, technical problems have always been solved pretty quickly.

Tell them you want to leave because it's too expensive and you may be surprised at what they can do, especially if you drop the fact that you're a Sky TV customer into the conversation because Sky have been trying to poach Virgin customers in our area using the recent Virgin price increase as bait

I'm also with virgin and as far as internet is concerned never had any bother, it's the main reason I'm still with them, I don't change what's not broken. I have had 2 hub upgrades though

Via the FG App

What do you all pay if you don't mind me asking? And at what speed?

£46.08 for landline (free after 7.00 pm weekdays and all weekend), smallest TV bundle they do, "medium" I think and 23mb down/3mb up on Speedtest but IIRC we move to 50mb soon for the same price. We often have PS4 gaming, PC gaming and wife on iPad with no problems

I'm paying £50 have TV box it is in garage so don't use it, landline i pay for doesn't exist either as they're unnecessary these days so that's just for BroadBand..speed dunno tbh they did throw.numbers at me that sounded big lol

Via the FG App

Lolz Gary. Thanks both. Helped give me a picture what I was getting.

I'm moving from 50mb to 200mb for £43 a month. Thats with a landline that I've never ever used too Gary ;)

New hub unit comes tomorrow and apparently that's when I should see a massive difference. I'm worried that it may be my powerline adapters that is throttling the speed to my PS4.

3 hours ago, GazzaGarratt said:

Lolz Gary. Thanks both. Helped give me a picture what I was getting.

I'm moving from 50mb to 200mb for £43 a month. Thats with a landline that I've never ever used too Gary ;)

New hub unit comes tomorrow and apparently that's when I should see a massive difference. I'm worried that it may be my powerline adapters that is throttling the speed to my PS4.

Can you do a temporary hard wire to test and compare against powerline and also the new wireless?

Good thought Dave. May do that tonight. However, my tests on Wi-Fi alone are that it's only downloading 25ish mb. Need to call their customer service team first.

5 hours ago, GazzaGarratt said:

Good thought Dave. May do that tonight. However, my tests on Wi-Fi alone are that it's only downloading 25ish mb. Need to call their customer service team first.

I thought it was ping that was important for gaming not download speeds? 

On 26/09/2017 at 2:12 PM, Dr Diamond said:

Need new isp recommendations. Plz advise.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Personally broadband with Virgin is the best. I have never had problems with them other than recently just wanted to get my speeds higher than I'm paying for.

I keep my TV with Sky even though i could get a better deal with one of them. I just like my TV through a Sky box, wife can't cope with anything else.

Is the virgin tv box still the shitty interface from 8 years ago or is it updated ? I might have to get sky due to whats at the exchange but we will see

Ri855cK.gif

Chookes said:

I absoloutely prefer it this way. You have overall more control. You can finish one guy off first, or all ten

Is the virgin tv box still the shitty interface from 8 years ago or is it updated ? I might have to get sky due to whats at the exchange but we will see

As far as I'm aware they have a pretty shitty UI and Sky's way they lay it out means everything makes. Imo kind of the same with ps4 and xbox One UI.

Problem is Sky can't compare to the fibre optic 200mb broadband on offer from Virgin.

I suppose it boils down to what is most important to you and what will you compromise on. Cost? Broadband? TV?

Cost. But virgin arent in my area so ill have to see if sky will do me a decent deal. I had tv and net for 26 for a while and when my contract ended they rang me endlessly to get me to stay

Ri855cK.gif

Chookes said:

I absoloutely prefer it this way. You have overall more control. You can finish one guy off first, or all ten

On 04/10/2017 at 5:00 PM, Dr Diamond said:

Gone with plusnet mid range fibre for now. 25 pm

Fair enough mate. Decent price. What speeds they offering for you? Don't know anyone that's gone with them but their adverts are all over the place.