Destiny 2 First Impressions

TigerBurge

It's just beautiful. There is a story. An actual story. The cutscenes are superb. The sounds of each gun sound unique so far and great.

I'm fucking knackered but it was so worth playing it now. And if you were worried about content, don't be, there's tons of it.

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

Really enjoyed my first dip into destiny 2, I think they've done a good job of keeping what made D1 good and improved the rest. 

Some of the new characters in the game are a great addition.

With how the story has improved I'm not too sure about running multiple characters yet 

Installed and played Homecoming which is basically the beta.

I've decided that, as we're busy today and away on holiday from tomorrow for a week, I won't play it again until we're back then I can get my teeth into it properly. Frustrating, but hey-ho...

fa91d1c7-2525-4709-a13b-ae6fabba557e.jpg

Thanks to Capn_Underpants for the artwork

It's OK I guess. More of the same.

Story is absolute bollocks.

Graphics looks like utter shit in some parts. Lighting is nice though.

I like that most Engrams give you something straight away rather than you having to go get them decrypted all the bloody time.

So far it just feels like another expansion.

fart.gif

-The graphic are nice.

-I like how much larger the planets are.

-I like how you don't have to go to orbit anymore to change destinations.

-I like how instead of a stupid mote of light you get a bright engram when leveling up at 20.

-As mentioned above, I love how we don't have all these blue engrams we have to turn in every 30 minutes.

-Loving the variety of Crucible game modes.

-I wish they would utilize some of map space at the farm/tower. More vendors or something.

-Yay! We don't have to waste time trying to find public events anymore.

-I found the story boring and the bad guy underwhelming. He looked like he came out of Overwatch or something. Cute.

-I love how we have to travel to just start a mission. I've gotten side tracked so many times doing this.

-Vehicle missions. [emoji106]

-Tokens, planet collectibles, and gunsmith parts, I love that just by collecting these things you can turn them in to gain rep and get a legendary. Makes you actually want to collect things.

Now bring on clans, factions and raids. [emoji119]

Via the FG App

From not liking D1 this game is great so far. Only level 6 though but I get the urge to play more.

TTK is good but I need to play smarter against heavier enemies.

Graphics are good but no better than Warframe. Expected more but I dont play on a 4K tv and I don't have the Pro PS version.

It's easy to get sidetracked when on a mission but I kinda like that you can get in on an event with others and finish the main mission when you're done. 

Last night I got up to level 5. I had a few beers and just mashed through all the cut scenes and story stuff which I regretted today. I deleted my Titten and started again, this time soaking the story in and I must say that so far, Bungie have really pulled it off. The story is excellent and  complete, it hasn't jumped around at all yet and there are no glaring question marks around it. The bad guy is excellent, actually has a good presence in the game which makes a nice change from the original. 

The combat is Destiny through and through, excellent and silky smooth. I like the director, so you don't have to go to orbit every time you want to move somewhere else. I'm in the EDZ still which I'm already getting a bit bored of at level 6, so hopefully there's more to explore and do. 

So far I'm loving it. Loads of activities and stuff to do, loads of people around and the missions have a great atmosphere to them. 

Great game, may it long continue.

banlol.png

I have zero complaints so far. It's amazing in every way. The shader thing is an odd choice. But the story is sooo much better. The guns sound great. The game is beautiful. I'm loving it.

Via the FG App

5abdbe250c715_RespectAll-FearNone.png.9bc1a4f0d1cdab1c7e67e48baf8275b4.png.63941b93d8c1d7bc3f9ca9f365076c45.png

On 07/09/2017 at 4:05 PM, MrBiron said:

It's OK I guess. More of the same.

Story is absolute bollocks.

Graphics looks like utter shit in some parts. Lighting is nice though.

I like that most Engrams give you something straight away rather than you having to go get them decrypted all the bloody time.

So far it just feels like another expansion.

It won't fit everyone's taste. How do you actually like the gameplay? Just trying to understand the 'mehness' that you have for it.

On 07/09/2017 at 4:58 PM, phil bottle said:

I was cream crackered last night so didn't play as much as I planned... but levelled up to 4 and thoroughly enjoyed it.

TTK is better than I experienced in the Beta, at least so farm, which is nice.

Still enjoying it?....You need to put the disc back in Philip and update your PPR. Don't become a Richard ;)

On 08/09/2017 at 6:22 AM, BO7H B4RRELS said:

I have zero complaints so far. It's amazing in every way. The shader thing is an odd choice. But the story is sooo much better. The guns sound great. The game is beautiful. I'm loving it.

Via the FG App

Shaders wise I like the idea of it. Tbh, not even spending any time yet looking at that stuff until I'm a high enough level. It keeps it interesting for me.

1 minute ago, GazzaGarratt said:

It won't fit everyone's taste. How do you actually like the gameplay? Just trying to understand the 'mehness' that you have for it.

Now I've finished the story and the actual game has opened up I'm enjoying it.

fart.gif

Now I've finished the story and the actual game has opened up I'm enjoying it.

Ah, okay. I get the story feeling. Still, playing how we all play the story really isn't the main part of the game tbh. It is still miles better than D1 though.

Via the FG App

I really hate the infusion system. Like fucking can't stand it. 

Its pretty much the same just gotta work out what's modded and what's not.

Mods were a great concept but not exactly gone to plan. I like the idea of being able to change the elemental damage. However, the rare ones don't make sense. You just look out for legendary mods with +5 in them.

Overall though, 2 weeks in and I'm still loving it. I haven't even touched Titan or IO and not much of Nessus either.

Hows the impressions now a we're a few weeks in?

2 hours ago, NCA-Paendrag said:

Been on every planet. Actually getting a bit bored tbh. Don' know why.

My thoughts?

1) you need to party up more.

2) concentrate on setting your own certain challenges 

Ultimately, Destiny is a grinding game. There's many things to do but because you have choices (quests, adventures, events, trials, NF, etc) you have to decide what you fancy achieving. Then see if people can help or can they do together.

I focused solely on Power Level in the first 2 weeks, not completing everything I see.

Problem sometimes with Destiny is actually ourselves. I jumped in with Crispy and Tom the other day to help out some things. Before I even realised what happened because we were chatting about other stuff, Tom had activated an adventure and we completed it. But I had no idea what it was about because Adventures are to get rewards but more importantly people who want to learn more about the story, like side quests.

I'm not rushing those things. I look at what objective can I set myself that night to do. It might be just 'help some FGers' and I'm good then.

Yeah, I need to party up more, but when I log on and people are busy with raids or other things I don't feel like interrupting.

Yeah again. I was thinking the same thing. To set goals and do them instead of doing this and that. But it's so damn easy to get sidetracked! :)

when I log on and people are busy with raids or other things I don't feel like interrupting.

I get that. Work out what you wanna do and post here or just jump in chat and ask 'need to do a nightfall, anyone free afterwards? Etc.' Might not be everytime but they're at the wrong place if they don't wanna help in general.

But it's so damn easy to get sidetracked! [emoji4]

And that's why its so good! Hours fly by playing this game.

Played the game a few hours this week and found it to be great fun albeit a bit of a mixed bag in some respects. Firstly, the game looks astonishing on PC maxed out at 1080p with a solid, consistent framerate and zero performance issues which includes the servers. The visuals are staggering in places and this is one of the best ports imaginable. They've done a superb job with these aspects. Also the movement and gun mechanics are both absolutely flawless and it feels brilliant.  

The format which is basically the same as The Division, isn't as well-designed as the presentation. It feels like the game is trying to keep up the pretence that it's some sort of MMO which exonerates it from having a solid standalone experience. The supported campaign is not great in all honesty, and whilst the adventures and activities add some extra entertainment on the side; everything feels a bit lackluster and underwhelming at times. Compare this to Halo which did everything Destiny does minus raids and having to be always online; that brand offered a compelling narrative in all its games with long and deeply challenging missions plus extra strike-type missions on the side that could be enjoyed off or online. 

The farm is a bit of a threadbare social space with little to do and each world so far has taken me little time to sift through. Each area looks remarkable with some staggering interiors and areas within but some of the gameplay overlaid in either story or adventure missions doesn't reflect the sheer quality of the presentation. I did two adventures back to back on Titan both in virtually the same areas and one mission too 7 minutes and the next took 9. I'm now wondering if there will be a new adventure lasting maybe 8 minutes in the same place next time. It's neither open world or linear locations and having to recyle mission locations regardless of how stunning they look; it feels a bit desperate in the end. 

The guns are great though and despite the loot system being a bit generous in terms of how you earn gear; it's always satisfying trying something new or improving your build. I just wish that improving Power wasn't so easy as this can easily outweigh the mission recommendations meaning you can sail through most without dying or getting hurt. Still it's terrific fun just blasting a load of enemies with a variety of weapons.

Overall; it's a bit of a tough one and this game showcases the disparity of departments in Bungie just like The Division did with their art team compared with the game design side. The staff behind the engine and crafting the world did a staggering job on this project but it's been let down by poor gameplay direction and format design. It feels like a bit of a wasted opportunity and what makes it disappointing is that this is the sequel and lessons have still not been learned. I will definitely get my money's worth out of it but I am a bit concerned about the staying power and if I'll get bored but from a technical and visual standpoint; it's a remarkable achievement.