FG Server Team Ideas

GazzaGarratt

17 minutes ago, Plumbers Crack said:

Can I do the folly? Pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease??????

13 minutes ago, Plumbers Crack said:

Forgot the workshop as well! 

Only problem with me doing the workshop is Ihave a tendency to line them with obsidian!

@Marineta how's your interior design skillz?

I'm happy for you to do the folly, though maybe not wholly line it with obsidian :P I was thinking you could use obsidian though to break up all the stone or whatever block gets used for most of the folly.

1103954298_AmosSignature.png.04556f304072cd09783cc1fdfec8fe9f.png

Found a great source of smooth sandstone on the mining world, could probably do with a hand with the mob killing though, I reckon there's at least two spawners in there. Rather than work through an extremely convoluted maze with torches etc to find them, I'm just tearing down the lovely smooth sandstone walls :1310_thumbsup_tone1: Might just use that for the folly :)

fa91d1c7-2525-4709-a13b-ae6fabba557e.jpg

Thanks to Capn_Underpants for the artwork

Ok, with regards to the FG Estate house, I was thinking something along the lines of this. Obviously the scales will need to be worked out and changed from what you see here, but hopefully it gives you the general idea.

Keep the wings internal into the house, with each wing having access to the mini-courtyard. Corridors running inbetween each 'block' of wings and running around the edge of the house. A the front of the house we'd have the grand entranceway and stairs to the second floor (or even third), with two large communal rooms.

Obviously this can all be easily stacked up, and it should allow us to achieve a stately home sort of look if so wished.

bCBO47q.png

1562265543_Starletlogsig.png.19b3c199efb193f2f7d11a161bf5a2d6.png

Thats a fantastic idea Nick, great work. I think you should go for it. I'll press on with my PC specs to get closer to helping you guys out.

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

Yeah I like that idea Nick :) How big do we think our personal wings need to be as deciding this really will dictate the overall size of the build.  I think the corridors around the wings only need to be maybe 5-10 blocks wide with the central one (that runs front to back between the wings) being maybe double-ish that at 15-20 blocks.  The front communal rooms I don't know about, maybe decide that once we have the entrance+stairs bit sorted as they will need to be at least that big.

If we can decide on the rough sizes I can make a draft blueprint document which we could iterate until we're all happy.  I'm thinking this way if we have some solid plans written down we can all contribute to the build as we will literally be working from the same page.

Let's go with this then.

I personally think the minor corridors should be about 4 blocks wide and the major one 8 wide but make the rooms tall say 5 blocks to give talk windows for maximum light or....... make all the wings first floor with the central green areas staircases with galleries to all sides for access, that way everyone has external walls?

Gotta go now but may post something later if I think of anything 

I agree that the corridors don’t really need to be that wide so we can go for that.  Though I would increase both by one to 5 and 9 blocks wide.  As an odd number means things like lights can be placed in the middle of the corridors then.

Saying that though, if we’re building any sort of apex roof then it is usually means using stairs and then the width for these has to be an even number of blocks.

One of the features of these houses is the high ceilings and tall windows so I would think 5 block (with the ceiling on the 6th block) would be high enough giving that, for scale, we are only 2 blocks high.

I’m not sure I quite follow you with respect to the wings though.  Are you talking something similar-ish to my build that the ground floor leads in to the central green area then you have stairs on each side of the green area to take us to the wings?

2 hours ago, Greboth said:

I’m not sure I quite follow you with respect to the wings though.  Are you talking something similar-ish to my build that the ground floor leads in to the central green area then you have stairs on each side of the green area to take us to the wings?

Yes, but looking at it again I don't think it would work.....

Let me try again....

Come in by the front entrance to a reception area. Archways to the left and right under W3 and W5 respectively to the areas shaded green. These double height areas to be stairs to the first floor areas. At the top of the stairs, "minstrel gallery" landings give access to the wings as well as views to the atriums below. As the wings W1 to W8 and the double height stairs are the only things on the first floor they will all have two external walls each. The double height atriums could also possibly have domed glass roof lights

I hope that makes sense

If I am understanding you right that would work out quite well as it would give each wing views of the central atrium and, due to being on the first floor, external walls for windows.  I like the idea of a glass top to the atriums too as a subtle dome on the top could work really well.

Though, again this is assuming I've this right in my head, if the arches are under wings 3 and 5 lead to the atrium then the stairs to the minstrel gallery would need to be effectively in the atrium so leaves the area under all the other wings free to do something with.

I've started making some proper blueprints and couldn't resist doing them bank job style :lol: If we're all happy with this layout I'll start working out things like doors and make a ground floor and 1st floor plan too as well as start adding some rough block measurements.

This is following Nick's plan but I have also labelled the front two community rooms as C1 and C2 so we can know what we're talking about.

36707354093_9bff34108e_o.jpg

"Gimme the cash !! " [emoji38]

I think you need t add the stairs from the ground floor to the wings to get it right in my head

That's what the entranceway stairs are for? To get to the 1st floor. The corridors will have doors leading to each wing.

Via the FG App

1562265543_Starletlogsig.png.19b3c199efb193f2f7d11a161bf5a2d6.png

3 hours ago, Plumbers Crack said:

"Gimme the cash !! " :lol:

I think you need t add the stairs from the ground floor to the wings to get it right in my head

I've got no cash but can offer you some Minecraft diamonds and emerals :lol: 

I didn't add the stairs as in doing the blueprints I had a few thoughts about it but wanted to check the 'basic' design was down before going any further.

The main thing I thought was that the two wing squares could be bigger to fill the area as long as there is the gap up in the middle.  So Wing 4 can move down, W1 moves left and W2 up so the outside walls sit on top of the ground floor walls.  Though obviously it will have to be the wing square that scales up in size rather than moving the individual wings.  This would also give us a bigger atrium so plenty of room to fit the stairs in.  The problem with this though is what do we do about W4 and W8 as the 'outside' wall would then be against C1 and C2 unless we make C1 and C2 ground floor only.

But then if we make C1 and C2 ground floor only what do we do about the roof? If it is an apex roof that would still block W4 and W8, if it is flat then does it become a big balcony area for those two wings?  If we make it a balcony area could give access to them from somewhere else like the stairs in the entrance?

Though on a side note, it just occurred to me that trying to picture a 3d object from 2d blueprints isn't easy and if we remove all the fancy things like the castleated walls, gables etc. then it is really just boxes so would be quick to create a 3d model.

1 hour ago, Bluebear said:

That's what the entranceway stairs are for? To get to the 1st floor. The corridors will have doors leading to each wing.

Via the FG App

Dave was suggesting we remove those corridors and move the wings to the outer walls as it would mean that the wings then have an outside wall so everyones wing can have windows in rather looking in to a corridor.

1 hour ago, Greboth said:

I've got no cash but can offer you some Minecraft diamonds and emerals :lol:  

All Contributions gratefully accepted :lol:

I didn't add the stairs as in doing the blueprints I had a few thoughts about it but wanted to check the 'basic' design was down before going any further.

Good thinking

The main thing I thought was that the two wing squares could be bigger to fill the area as long as there is the gap up in the middle.  So Wing 4 can move down, W1 moves left and W2 up so the outside walls sit on top of the ground floor walls.  Though obviously it will have to be the wing square that scales up in size rather than moving the individual wings.  This would also give us a bigger atrium so plenty of room to fit the stairs in.  The problem with this though is what do we do about W4 and W8 as the 'outside' wall would then be against C1 and C2 unless we make C1 and C2 ground floor only.

I was working on the assumption that C1 and C2 were ground floor only

But then if we make C1 and C2 ground floor only what do we do about the roof? If it is an apex roof that would still block W4 and W8, if it is flat then does it become a big balcony area for those two wings?  If we make it a balcony area could give access to them from somewhere else like the stairs in the entrance?

If it's flat, we could put roof lanterns in or, to make it pitched, make the floor slab between ground and first floor 2 or 3 blocks thick and couple it with a roof overhang?

Though on a side note, it just occurred to me that trying to picture a 3d object from 2d blueprints isn't easy and if we remove all the fancy things like the castleated walls, gables etc. then it is really just boxes so would be quick to create a 3d model.

If you or Nick (or both of you) have the facility to do it, then go for it

Dave was suggesting we remove those corridors and move the wings to the outer walls as it would mean that the wings then have an outside wall so everyones wing can have windows in rather looking in to a corridor.

It was just an attempt to refine your original idea Nick...if it doesn't work, or people don't like it, revert to the original :1310_thumbsup_tone1:

I can make the 3d easily enough :) As above though it would be missing the detailed pieces as they take the time to model but for working out an overall design we like I don't think we need the details.  Also, as I found in doing those blueprints, the design is symmetrical so you only need to make the left or right half and mirror it :) I can try and get a version 1 modelled this weekend.

I think the gate is great, @Greboth… in my opinion, too much cobblestone and I am a big fun of wood villages, but I like the idea and I think I just don’t like grey colour in general. In not wood, perhaps bricks? Creepers do not seem to cause any block damage, so even if we wanted to build with glass it should be safe.

Like @GazzaGarratt I favour the country home idea with grassy area inside.

I am happy with the proposed location of the FG town and happy with the folly idea (although I am not sure what this is for, this English word always confuse me with a Catalan one I won’t mention which means something not allowed in this forum).

So yes, I think it’s good to mark our perimeter well, and fortify it, but I would like to see some sort of hippy town inside… houses next to each other with their own gardens and then communal areas…

Nice to meet you Nick, come over to /warp casa when you want, say hello to my cats, dog Kisu and his mates, try my water slide, swimming pool or just have a look around in one of the boats in my port. If there’s anything you need just let me know!

I think one thing I cannot live without is going to be a bar/pub. We need one in town.

Now, with regards to town design…

-   My interior design skills are good, or I at least I think they are since both interior design and architecture are two of my frustrated vocations, but that’s a hell of a stressful job… Since I am trained as an agronomist I would probably prefer designing farming space and a brewery/winery.

-   I don’t think the houses/personal wings need to be too big. I have found some cool examples online, but that’s massively influenced by how and where I would like to live the rest of my life. First example here... some others in a separate post to follow...

image.png.a6d29926beb8d8ca07b0fd46e5fe56c0.png

Other than this, guys, apologies for not being on MC much recently… we have the Catalan referendum coming up this weekend and I have been glued to different news sources to monitor what’s going on.

With everything I’ve said so far, I am happy with whatever we go as a group with, seriously. Actually, I can see we are going to the wing thing. Definitely happy with that! Just one condition, I want my house to look South.

:-)

@Marineta good to see you back on here :) 

I'm glad you like the gate :) I find it easy in creative mode to select a few blocks and build with them to get the design but come the real build it could be done with the stone bricks like it is now or regular stone, cobblestone, bricks, sandstone etc. or some mix of them all.  I think with the country house design we are going for it does need the one of the stone or brick blocks.  If people have a specific preference or idea I am happy to build it in those blocks to see what it looks like.  I thought for the wall we could go for cobblestone as it gives it a dry stone wall look though we could add other blocks in there too to break up the grey.

42 minutes ago, Marineta said:

I think the gate is great, @Greboth… in my opinion, too much cobblestone and I am a big fun of wood villages, but I like the idea and I think I just don’t like grey colour in general. In not wood, perhaps bricks? Creepers do not seem to cause any block damage, so even if we wanted to build with glass it should be safe.

Like @GazzaGarratt I favour the country home idea with grassy area inside.

I am happy with the proposed location of the FG town and happy with the folly idea (although I am not sure what this is for, this English word always confuse me with a Catalan one I won’t mention which means something not allowed in this forum).

So yes, I think it’s good to mark our perimeter well, and fortify it, but I would like to see some sort of hippy town inside… houses next to each other with their own gardens and then communal areas…

Nice to meet you Nick, come over to /warp casa when you want, say hello to my cats, dog Kisu and his mates, try my water slide, swimming pool or just have a look around in one of the boats in my port. If there’s anything you need just let me know!

I think one thing I cannot live without is going to be a bar/pub. We need one in town.

Now, with regards to town design…

-   My interior design skills are good, or I at least I think they are since both interior design and architecture are two of my frustrated vocations, but that’s a hell of a stressful job… Since I am trained as an agronomist I would probably prefer designing farming space and a brewery/winery.

-   I don’t think the houses/personal wings need to be too big. I have found some cool examples online, but that’s massively influenced by how and where I would like to live the rest of my life. First example here... some others in a separate post to follow...

image.png.a6d29926beb8d8ca07b0fd46e5fe56c0.png

Other than this, guys, apologies for not being on MC much recently… we have the Catalan referendum coming up this weekend and I have been glued to different news sources to monitor what’s going on.

With everything I’ve said so far, I am happy with whatever we go as a group with, seriously. Actually, I can see we are going to the wing thing. Definitely happy with that! Just one condition, I want my house to look South.

:-)

Hi Marina,

Love the pictures! Here's a thought..Greboth mentioned kidnapping villagers to create our own village, either inside or outside the walls, why don't we keep the country house and walls as some form of stone and you create the village using wood?

We did miss you and your farm on the mining world has...err..been extended slightly :ph34r: