FG Server Team Ideas

GazzaGarratt

I appreciate I haven't spent really any time on the new server. Hopefully I can rectify that in September.

What would be really good is if we can discuss other ideas to what we can achieve as a group. When I touch base with this again, i'd like some goals to achieve together rather than set my home up and explore on my own.

Ideas don't have to be big, they could be a small 1/2 day thing which a few of us can do.

If you're thinking communal then really two options;

You can explore together - whether this in the overworld, nether or end doesn't really matter.  Though with the end, for example, a group of us could kill the dragon and go end raiding.

The other, arguably more common communal projects are builds of some sort like the railway project that is still in progress.  The railway build though is fragmented due to it being a railway so once it leaves spawn it is everyone on their own.  However, we could go for building something communal where we all contribute in the same area making it everyones.  There is the obvious village or castle and surround villages but I've seen cool builds of upside down houses built to the roof of caves and overhangs, massive underground caves dug out and built in or under the sea cities etc.  The limit is our imagination though it would need to a be communal idea / decision I think so people feel motivated to help out the build.

1103954298_AmosSignature.png.04556f304072cd09783cc1fdfec8fe9f.png

On 25/08/2017 at 10:57 AM, Greboth said:

If you're thinking communal then really two options;

You can explore together - whether this in the overworld, nether or end doesn't really matter.  Though with the end, for example, a group of us could kill the dragon and go end raiding.

The other, arguably more common communal projects are builds of some sort like the railway project that is still in progress.  The railway build though is fragmented due to it being a railway so once it leaves spawn it is everyone on their own.  However, we could go for building something communal where we all contribute in the same area making it everyones.  There is the obvious village or castle and surround villages but I've seen cool builds of upside down houses built to the roof of caves and overhangs, massive underground caves dug out and built in or under the sea cities etc.  The limit is our imagination though it would need to a be communal idea / decision I think so people feel motivated to help out the build.

I like the idea of having an FG Castle, that becomes a landmark to visit and explore.

We could secret passages and doorways as well to make it more inviting.

Moat around the outside with even a drawbridge if it's possible?

I don't think you could have a drawbridge in the traditional sense.  Though it would be possible* to have some form of retractable bridge or one that rises out the moat.  Some bridge designs could be tested out though without too much trouble.

* by possible I mean possible in MC not necessarily that any of us could work out the redstone circuitry :lol: 

Edit: Also yeah I'm in.  Even with D2 I'll still be on as its nice to have a more relaxing pace to a game.

Edit 2: Thinking about it something simple would be to have a lake of water (or even lava) 1 or 2 blocks deep around the build.  Then a double piston extender would raise a bridge out of it which would be 1 block above or level with the water/lava.  I think this would work I'm just not sure how the water/lava would flow as the blocks lift up but could be something to test.

It would be good to see but I have seen videos on youtube of people making portcullises (portculli?) so if we go with that I don't think it would be too difficult to make.

I was testing out some ideas in creative and it is possible to have water/lava moat that pistons raise blocks out of so you can walk across them.  I only managed to make a very basic system though and not sure it could be expanding to make it useful for an actual build.

So that's 2 of us plus presumably Lee makes 3 and possibly the vacationing Marina?

Greboth, would you like to find a suitable site and set a warp point?

I've tried mooching about myself but my laptop gets clunky after a while... if you want simething near some existing villages try the warps dave2 and dave3....you can also delete those 2 names to free up warp spaces if they're not suitable 

If we get a few more in then we can work out how big a footprint we need

fa91d1c7-2525-4709-a13b-ae6fabba557e.jpg

Thanks to Capn_Underpants for the artwork

17 hours ago, Plumbers Crack said:

Wow..the pistons survive lava?

As far as I know every placed block survives lava though the redstone itself doesn't if you have a leak as I found out to my dismay.  I think a 2 wide bridge the best you could manage with double piston extenders as I can't think of a way to power the middle ones.  A single piston would be easy to make as big as required but wouldn't look quite so good.  I think I need to play around with some slime blocks and maybe a piston feed tape style is a better idea that coming out the floor.

13 hours ago, Plumbers Crack said:

So that's 2 of us plus presumably Lee makes 3 and possibly the vacationing Marina?

Greboth, would you like to find a suitable site and set a warp point?

I've tried mooching about myself but my laptop gets clunky after a while... if you want simething near some existing villages try the warps dave2 and dave3....you can also delete those 2 names to free up warp spaces if they're not suitable 

If we get a few more in then we can work out how big a footprint we need

Yeah I can take a look around for something, I think it is safe to assume we will need a reasonably big area so will try to find somewhere that wont require too much digging, de-forresting etc.

Does anyone have ideas for a rough design? More specifically what blocks we should use for the build?  I'm thinking this as we will need a lot of blocks - to give some idea of numbers I think my current house is about 5 or 6 double chests of stone which is around 15,000 - 20,000 blocks, probably about the same in wood, a double chest or marble etc.  I would assume a communal build is going to be bigger than my house so yeah, A LOT of blocks.  The best builds seem to stick to 3, 4 or maybe 5 different blocks and if we can decide on them I can set up a few energy condensors as soon as I find a suitable area. 

Haha oh yeah I forgot you had your 'toy' which could come in handy.  I haven't managed to look for a place yet as I kinda got caught up in trying to build a bridge which I managed :)

It took longer than I expected but I managhed to figure out how to build a double piston extender that is only powered on one side meaning the bridge can be 2 blocks wide.  I'd still like it to be wider but there is no way for that to work as you can't power the middle pistons then.  It also has to use gravel (or sand) due to it falling but the only other way is to have visible slime blocks which look even worse.  If the whole floor is gravel (or sand) it also means the bridge is 'invisble' while retracted.

Bridge down - 2 deep moat

36111504964_9756eff5d2_o.png

Bridge up - 2 wide bridge flush with the floor

36806090121_8ba74af3ed_o.png

The redstone behind it isn't too complicated either really - the bottom pistons are powered straight away with a pulse extender to keep them powered long enough for the retraction when turned off.  The top pistons are powered from the pulse extender with a pulse generator running off down the bottom for them too.  The whole circuit could be made quite a bit smaller too but I find it hard to plan it out and keep it small.  It's easier to plan big then make it small in my opinion and from looking at the screenshot, I think the pulse generator could site to the right of the pulse extender making the whole thing 10 blocks long though I think that could be cut to 8.

36111649994_9eb4fd185c_o.png

<raises both arms and bows repeatedly from the waist>  "We are not worthy!!"

seriously though, that would look amazeballs coming out of a bed of lava...you are officially appointed Redstone Guru

44 minutes ago, Plumbers Crack said:

Just had a thought...to keep interest up, not make it too easy and quick...should we do it old school?

Yes we should do it Old School. I'll be on Destiny a shed load but you want these type of projects to just keep ticking over in the background. Let's not cheese it.

2 hours ago, Plumbers Crack said:

<raises both arms and bows repeatedly from the waist>  "We are not worthy!!"

seriously though, that would look amazeballs coming out of a bed of lava...you are officially appointed Redstone Guru

Haha oh god! we must be in trouble.  Having watched a few videos and playing around with redstone it is coming back to me but I'm far from a guru.

1 hour ago, Plumbers Crack said:

Just had a thought...to keep interest up, not make it too easy and quick...should we do it old school?

By 'old school' do you mean mine all the blocks?  We could do though I don't have a silk touch pick and Lee isn't going to start with at least (I don't know about you or anyone else) so even if we don't use the energy stuff I think we need an automatic / super smelter.  These can be built in 'vanilla' MC though so I'd argue still fits in the 'doing it old school'.

What I meant by doing it Old School was starting without armour/weapons/tools to begin with - this is after you've scoped out a suitable site and set a warp point

Don't forget two things....

1. We're fortunate that we have a Mining World. This I believe is set to Peaceful mode (not 100% sure) so we can mine there without wrecking the location where we're going to build, which was Bart's intention in creating it. This will also allow us to build up our characters to at least iron armour/tools/weapons without getting blitzed. If you really want to keep Old School we could make it that you can't bring any upgraded gear back from the mining world....sort of "check your diamonds at the departure gate"

2. Although I go on holiday next Friday for a week, generally speaking I have more free time than you guys (as demonstrated with the railway tunnel) so digging out umpteen blocks and dumping them in a chest or smelting them wouldn't be a problem. Might need help transporting them back to the build site tho as my laptop starts lagging when I warp/teleport multiple times.

D2 will be my evening game of choice with the Old Codgers and others! :lol:

Any comments/other thoughts guys

I might just strip off (figuratively speaking) and go and start a new mine for us on the Mining World! Damn, mining gets under your skin, doesn't it!! :lol::lol:

Ah I see, so more like a soft reset - keep the world and all that we have done but go back to basics.

A few things though, firstly the mining world is not peaceful! The other day I accidently poured water in my mine and destroyed a load of torches and oh my god so many mobs.  Just thinking about it is giving me nightmarish flashbacks :lol: I'm not sure what the difficult level is but it's certainly not peaceful.

As for transporting blocks - if your digging in the mining world I'm happy for you to fill up chests there and I can do the warping back and forth to the communal build site.  Well assuming I can keep my shulker boxes so I can transport lots of blocks in one go.  Which also reminds me, I might go and see if I can find some more.

D2 will eat a lot of time for us all I think but MC is a much slower paced game which will always be a nice change.

Copy that about the mining world..came back to the surface to find two creepers and 4 spiders...run away!

However, I did have a bit of luck looting and empty fortress..some obsidian blocks, iron armour and, diamond horse armour and 2 diamonds which were swiftly turned into a sword

Shulker box....let Lee decide that one

Ive left food in the box between the furnaces. If I get any spare iron ingots I'll leave them in one of the big chests for people to make tools, etc.

Got a quick glimpse of the railway terminal roof from the spawn point..looks good. Inspired by Waterloo station?

Mined for a couple of hours while watching an old YT series (Syndicate Project stalking OptiC on their Minecraft server :lol::lol:). Iron ingots seem remarkably scarce at the moment. Having to leave some ore blocks that need iron picks. Cobblestone picks are so bloody slow! :angry:

OK things improved...got some emeralds, diamonds and iron ore...left some iron picks, shovels and torches at the bottom of the steps at the mine on the mining world

Made a 100 (?) block main tunnel and I'm starting to run 100 block side strips from it with a 3 x 3 return tunnel at each end. Block up the entrances in the main shaft and put a torch on it when you complete so we know where we've been. I leave the torches in there as well

Jump in as when you want. If we're working together, we'll share any diamonds we find

Nice one mate :) If all goes well I should have some free time to put in to this tomorrow and hopefully find a nice location for our build.

I've got some ideas for a rough design as well so will get some sort of plan made too.