Fortnite

Fortnite is a co-op sandbox survival video game developed by People Can Fly and Epic Games, the latter of which also serves as publisher for the game. Wikipedia

Initial release date: July 25, 2017

Engine: Unreal Engine

Publisher: Epic Games

Genre: Survival

Platforms: PlayStation 4, Microsoft Windows, Xbox One, Macintosh operating systems

Developers: Epic Games, People Can Fly

i7 7700k, 16GB RAM, GEFORCE 1080, 240GB SSHD, 2TB SSD

1 hour ago, GazzaGarratt said:

I got an email about this today so you can download it for free to try it as its in early access. Worth a stab I suppose.

Whats the link? 

20 hours ago, crispymorgan said:

I shall also buy a monkeybike......

41 minutes ago, crispymorgan said:

Whats the link? 

It's just in the PSN store. Fortnite The Full Game. Theres multiple versions that cost money but look like they have tons of add ons.

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

General

What kind of game is Fortnite?

• Fortnite is a RPG, TPS Tower Defense / Building and Survival Game. It features 4 players coop, stylized but really nice graphics thanks to Unreal Engine 4, randomly generated fun levels with different objectives and tons of weapons and traps.

Is this game open world?

• The game is primarily mission based. Upon entering a mission, the map is procedural generated so that missions will unlikely be the same. There are however 4 zones where you can build a permanent base. In each of these maps your permanent base needs to be defend in order for it to be upgraded and unlock new ability/skills (related to the ability/skill tier tree).

What is the party limit in Fortnite?

• Currently the limit is four players being able to play together in a mission. However, you do not need to play in a full team, if you are missing players, you can bring Defenders with you to supplement your team to the team limit of four.

What are Piñatas for?

• Piñatas are the one way for players to gain heroes, weapons, XP cards, or survivors. There are specialized piñatas that have different loot pools like a hero only piñata.

• They can increase in quality from purple to silver and then gold. The higher quality piñatas give more and better loot

• There are different types of piñatas that give only heroes, specific schematic types, etc.

• Mini llamas are given as rewards for quests, objectives and outpost defense missions. They can upgrade in rarity just like normal piñatas.

Is there matchmaking?

• There is a matchmaking lobby. You can make it private to play solo or with friends or public to get matched up.

Can I play Fortnite solo/alone?

• Yes, you can start a match as private and play solo. An online connection is still required

This there split screen for any system(splitscreen)?

• Fortnite does not support split screen on PC, Xbox or PS4 currently.

Is this game P2W?

• Everything can be gained with enough time. Currently it is too early to know for sure if the game balances one way or the other. Being a coop only game, spending more money will only help the team you are play with.

What do I do with duplicate heroes, schematics, or survivors?

• The duplicates should be put in the collection book first as it gives very good rewards and after any additional or unused cards can be recycled for XP and folders.

Heroes

What are hero characters ?

• Hero characters are characters that you can unlock in the game and that you can select in missions to play with.
  • See Heroes for more details

What does Leveling up a Hero do?

• Leveling up a Hero increases their stats, Health, Damage, Resistance, etc.

What does Leveling up a Hero do?

• Leveling up a Hero increases their stats, Health, Damage, Resistance, etc.

What does Evolving up a Hero do?

• Evolving a Hero will unlock a new skill or ability and allow additional level increases

How do I Evolve my Hero?

• To evolve a hero, you first need to access the correct node on the skill tree for that class and at least one of the preceding nodes. Nodes are unlocked when the previous nodes are unlocked or a certain total nodes are unlocked in that skill tree.

How do acquire a training manual to evolve your hero?

• These can be gained from mission quests, the collection book rewards, or from recycling a blue or higher hero.

Is it possible to get the same hero card twice?

• Yes, it is possible to get duplicate cards. These duplicates can be used to help make other cards better by recycling them or using them in the collection book for bonuses.

How much XP do you get back from retiring/recycling a hero that has been leveled up?

• There is a 90% refund of XP and a training folder if it was evolved.

Can players use multiple heroes of the same class?

• Yes, each player can choose which hero they want. There could be 4 constructor or ninjas if the team decides to do that.

What are Expedition Squads?

• This is a system where a play can send out Heroes to gather resources. The higher quality and level the Heroes are, the more and better the loot will be. They do have a chance to fail and they become unavailable to use in missions when they are out exploring.

Skill Tree

What is the Skill Tree?

• The skill tree is broken up into 4 tiers of various stat upgrades, gadget unlocks, and hero benefits.

What are skill points used for?

• Skill points are used to unlock different nodes on the skill tree.

How do the stat nodes work?

• Each stat node that is unlocked will give that commander's heroes additional points in the matching stat. These carry from one hero to another like a passive boost.

Why can't I unlock a specific node even after getting the one before it?

• Some nodes are locked until a certain total number of nodes are unlocked in that skill tree tier.

What are the best nodes to unlock?

• Tier 1 nodes have the most skill point to stat benefit. The best nodes to unlock are those that give you the most benefit such as a new evolution for a hero or an additional squad survivor slot.

Is there a limit to the number of skill points we can get?

• There is no limit except that of getting each node.

Can I respect/reset/restart the skil ltree?

• Currently there is no way to respec the skill tree nodes.

Building and Resources

Is there a way to upgrade your base instead of having to tear it down?

• Currently there is no easy way to tear down a base to rebuild it.

Is there a way to upgrade wood to stone or metal?

• Currently there is no easy way to upgrade materials once a piece is already placed.

Can we modify the base pieces that are already placed?

• Yes! By pressing the edit key ("G" on PC) players can edit a wall to make it a door, or change it's height etc. This works well if a piece suddenly rotates as you can modify the rotation on some pieces too.

How do I upgrade my walls? I saw this in the video but there is no option to do it!

• There are two tier 2 skills on the constructor path that allows a hero to upgrade pieces to level 2/3.

Why does my pick change quality when I go down a zone (blue to green)?

• Each zone has a highest tier of pickax that can be used to keep the map balanced when trying to help those lower level than you maybe.

Defenders

What are Defenders?

• Defenders are a player AI that will help them in missions. If you do not have 4 players, one or more can be substituted with a Defender. Players can bring up to 4 Defenders into the outpost along with the normal 4 heroes.

Where can I get a Defender?

• You gain defenders from piñatas or some missions as rewards. Some of the defenders will be available in game as part of the Early Access Packs.

How do I use a Defender?

• Players must first equip the defenders to the zone on the Squad screen. When in game they need to play a defender trap pad and place the defender on the pad. Each defender will need a weapon and ammo provided to them by the player.

What happens my stuff when a defender leaves the mission or the mission ends?

• Any time a mission ends or the defender leaves the mission, all items and ammo will go back to the players backpack.

Weapons, Traps and Gadgets

How many weapons are there?

• Quite a few, some types include pistols, snipers, melee weapons like swords or axes, assault rifles and more!

How does weapon durability work?

• As a weapon is used in a match, it will lose durability. Durability will also be lost upon death and if the player loses the match.

How do weapon stats work?

• Each weapon schematic will have some randomness to it base on the bonuses it can have, one might be slower with higher damage and another might have more durability but less bullet capacity. A legendary will always have legendary stat ranges. Some will even have an elemental bonus to it!

How do extra inventory or vault slots work?

• The extra backpack space allows a player to bring along more weapons or traps or gather more materials used for crafting.

• Vault expansion found in the Early Access packs increase the Homebase storage for schematics, heroes and survivors.

How I get more vault or backpack slots?

• Players can expand their inventory through the skill tress. There is speculation that they can be purchased for VBucks, earned in game through progression, missions, or quests but this is currently unknown.

What are Gadgets?

• Gadgets are special items each player can bring with them into a match. They have 2 they can equip before the mission start. Some examples are the air strike (as seen in various videos) or a healing gadget.

Where do I get a Gadget?

• Gadgets are unlocked on the skill trees and upgrades can be found in the higher tier skill trees.

How do I equip a Gadget?

• Players equip Gadgets after a mission is started but BEFORE click the launch button. There will be two (+) icons on your hero where you can equip a gadget.

Homebase

What is the Homebase?

• Homebase - This is the main menu area where you can access many things:
  • Play - This shows your current main quest objective
  • Map - The world map where you can visit your outpost or choose a specific mission to play
  • Heroes - Choose which Hero you want to play with, your squad and defenders.
  • Squad - This is how you setup which survivors will be supporting your hero or send them out on expeditions
  • Armory - The area to view and upgrade schematics, heroes and survivors. There is also a collection book or transformation area where you can use these for bonuses.
  • Skills - There are 4 tiers of skills and research. Skill points are used here to add passive stats, unlock new gadgets or hero evolutions (increase star limit)
  • Loot - Open Piñatas to get Heroes, schematics, survivors, xp and more
  • Shop - Purchase Early Access upgrades or VBucks to be used in the loot shop

What is the vault?

• The vault refers to the total amount of space the commander has for Hero/schematic/survivor cards.

Outposts

What is the Outpost?

• Outposts are a unique area where the player can build a permanent base. There are 4 locations in the Early Access release and 1 in each zone. As you defend your outpost, you progress through the zone, unlocking harder and more varied missions — and eventually unlocking the next zone.

Can players share their permanent outpost with other players?

• Yes you can give permissions to other players to help you on your outpost.

How can I give someone permission to help me build at my home base?

• You need to access the computer by the main defense point and them give permissions to the player.

How do I access my storage in the Outpost?

• You need to access the computer by the main defense point and select the storage tab at the top of the screen.

Is there a team outpost?

• Each player will have their own outpost but can allow permission for other players to help build and defend it. The both players need to be online together to access the outpost.

Missions and Quests

What is the "?" mission on the Map screen?

• Each player can choose a specific mission base on their current goal. The "?" mission will setup the player with another team and give a +20% bonus to XP gain for helping those players. The player can choose to try and do missions help with their quests but will ultimately be up to the queue bot.

What are notes?

• Press "N" on PC and it will place a note were you are targeting. These will show up on the mini map and display the words of the note on the players screen when near that areas.

Is there anyway to delete the notes after you place them on the map?

• There currently is no way to remove notes.

What does "Complete X missions in a X+ zone" mean?

• You need to complete any mission that is of the X or higher difficulty.

What are "Mist Monsters"?

• Mist Monsters are those giant baddie Husk like the tank one or the laser eye guy.

PVP

Will there be PVP in this game?

• There is currently no PVP in this game. The developers have stated that they are concentrating on PVE first and foremost.

What is a Block Party?

• The Block Party is an event where players compete against each other in a leaderboard style horde mode. They can bring a copy of their outpost and friends to this mode and see how many waves they will survive.

PC & Mac

Will we be able to purchase Fortnite on Steam?

• Currently Fortnite can only be played using Epics launcher. There are no known plans to release on Steam

Can Mac play with PC?

• Yes

How can you unlink an account?

What is the recommended system specs for PC or Mac?

• Recommended System Requirements:

Nvidia GTX 660 or AMD Radeon HD 7870 equivalent DX11 GPU
2 GByte VRAM
Core i5 2.8 Ghz
8 GByte RAM
Windows 7/8/10 64-bit

Minimum System Requirements:

Intel HD 4000
Core i3 2.4 Ghz
4 GByte RAM
Windows 7/8/10 64-bit + Mac OSX Sierra

PS4

If I buy a PS4 version of Fortnite, can I also play it on my PC?

• If you link your account after purchasing a Founder's Pack on either platform (PC/PS4), you will be able to play on both. You only need to purchase one copy!

Where can I buy the PS4 version of Fortnite?

• You can only purchase the PS4 edition from the PSN store or a Retail store. You can purchase a PC Founder's Packs from the Fortnite website and link your PS4 account for access on both systems.

If I buy any bundle through the PlayStation store and my Epic/PSN accounts are linked, where can I play?

• You can play on both PC and PS4.

If a bundle has friend codes and they have their accounts linked, where can THEY play?

• They can play on both PC and PS4.

Does the retail version have any bonuses or is it just the game?

• The retail version of the game is equivalent to the Deluxe edition.

Does this mean I can play on PC with my friends on PS4?

• No, only progression is shared across systems. You will only be able to play with players of the same system. There is no crossplay/cross-play between systems currently.

Do you need PS+/Playstation Online service to play Fortnite?

• No, you do not need the PS+ subscription to play Fortnite.

Why are there two downloads for PS4?

• Currently there is a glitch in the shop that splits Fortnite into two different items.

How can you unlink an account?

XBOX

Do we need Xbox Gold to play Fortnite?

• Yes, to play Fortnite an Gold subscription is needed.

Will Xbox have cross progression like PC and PS4?

• Unfortunately, cross-progression is currently not supported for Xbox.

PS4Pro/XBOX One X

What will be different in Fortnite for the Pro/One X systems?

• These systems will run Fortnite on the epic settings at 4k/30fps. They will look better but the content will stay the same.

You can buy this game on PC or console and that's the only time you need to buy it. Say you play a mission on PC, when you load into the game on your PS4 your progress from PC SAVES AND IS CARRIED OVER, and the same progress when you save on PS4 and play on PC later that evening. (Should be done by so many other games). This game will be somewhat similar to warframe as it's pay for progression mixed in with loot boxes, sorry, "pinatas".

9 hours ago, The3rdWalker said:

You can buy this game on PC or console and that's the only time you need to buy it. Say you play a mission on PC, when you load into the game on your PS4 your progress from PC SAVES AND IS CARRIED OVER, and the same progress when you save on PS4 and play on PC later that evening. (Should be done by so many other games). This game will be somewhat similar to warframe as it's pay for progression mixed in with loot boxes, sorry, "pinatas".

They do need to do more games like this. Whilst it isn't critical, for games like Destiny it would've been pretty cool to at least have the choice.

@phil bottle for one of the biggest kids I know, I can't believe you don't like cartoon type games, you big fairy.

8 hours ago, GazzaGarratt said:

They do need to do more games like this. Whilst it isn't critical, for games like Destiny it would've been pretty cool to at least have the choice.

@phil bottle for one of the biggest kids I know, I can't believe you don't like cartoon type games, you big fairy.

The problem is if you are willing to buy two copies, why put this feature in. :(

22 minutes ago, The3rdWalker said:

The problem is if you are willing to buy two copies, why put this feature in. :(

The way that ganes are going is similar to the Sales industry. It's not about sales targets anymore, its about quality of service and product.

If they unlock the loyalty in fans/members then they reap rewards 10 fold. More will be like this for sure.

Shame Activi$ion are too big a company now to miss this point and get away with it in most instances as they have the best AAA games out there on average.

1 hour ago, GazzaGarratt said:

Hang on, is this not free 2 play? Not tried it yet but I read today you gain early access by paying but the download is free??

The good news is that yes, Fortnite is free to play. The bad news, however, is that it’s not free to play yet. During this early access period, players must pay to gain access to the game via the Founder’s Pack.

... so yes and no.